International Break Thread.......post A Personal But Trivial Thistle Memory

thebiglemon

one which is not especially earth shattering but sticks in your mind for some reason.

Mine:

• Going to Easter Road with my dad and being surprised to find a sit down toilet in the stand. We obviously didn't have them at Firhill in those days- about '73. It was in the cup and Jim O'Rourke scored the winner of the replay.
  • Getting told off by George Mackie for shouting abuse at him in the warm up
  • Beating Dundee 3-0 and singing Rupert the Bear at a Dundee fan in tartan trousers as the Dundee fans headed off well before the end- 1979 approx
  • Section turning up in the home end incognito and causing mayhem on the first whistle (memory a wee bit shaky on the details of this one) 1980's

I'll stop now.

Telling Billy McDonald he had had a great game as he came off the park at Brockville in 1996 (2-1 Andy Lyons - unquestionably McLeod's one positive legacy).

Going to Stair Park in August 1998 and wondering what the f*** Alan Morgan was doing playing for us. Four months later he was finished due to a nothing tackle v East Fife.

And of course, the 24th March 1974 - Ronnie Glavin 2 The Eastenders 0. A result coming again to you sometime very soon.

If this thread is about strange and random memories then;

A wee boy shouting over to Kevin McKee during a warm up , " Kevin , Kevin"

Kevin trotted over to sign the autograph and when he got there the wee boy said, " You're Sh1te" and walked away.

Someone throwing a pie onto the pitch and a Seagull swooping down and grabbing it up in one movement and the Shed singing

"SEAGULL, SEAGULL"

Meeting John Workman in town after a midweek victory in the dark days and him asking me and my mate if we wanted to go up the dancin with him and a couple of burds.

Two old jags fans in their Seventies having an argument and a punch up in the shed during a pissing wet new years day game against Cyde.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2

Beating Dundee 3-0 and singing Rupert the Bear at a Dundee fan in tartan trousers as the Dundee fans headed off well before the end- 1979 approx

I recall this as well but my memory has it as a game in the very early 80's and possibly a new year fixture. Very very hazy memory.

At work recently spoke to a pleasantvold chap called Archibald Munroe. He said he was a footballer and played in goal for Partick Thistle. Not heard of him though, was he ever on our books?

Nobody with that name listed in the Official History book. Maybe he played a game or two for reserves as a trialist, or maybe with age his memory is fading/storytelling ability is soaring.

At work recently spoke to a pleasant old chap called Archibald Munroe. He said he was a footballer and played in goal for Partick Thistle. Not heard of him though, was he ever on our books?

Jaggernaut's posted what I was more or less going to say. It is tho' quite feasible that a reserve goalie could've been on our books and never got a game. One of my earliest memories George Niven was always in goals. Guessing there would be seasons when Ledgerwood or Freebairn never missed a game.

Asking Frank Coulston to sign my programme and handing him a ruler to do it with - just for a laugh. It was a very funny couple of seconds while he tried to work out what was happening.

Whilst waiting for the players to come out after the game, my pal was pretending to be blowing his nose but was actually making fart noises at the police. Needless to say, they took a dim view and sent us on our way

Jaggernaut's posted what I was more or less going to say. It is tho' quite feasible that a reserve goalie could've been on our books and never got a game. One of my earliest memories George Niven was always in goals. Guessing there would be seasons when Ledgerwood or Freebairn never missed a game.

He mentioned George Niven actually.

got a distinct memory of Denis McQuade scoring a hatrick at firhill v dundee, he was playing centre forward that day and one goal entered the net via the back of his head when the winger (lawrie or ewing ?) just managed to catch the ball before the bye line and crossed while Denis had turned around to go back thinking he wasnt going to get it !!! Typical Mcquade , hey !

:thinking: .... .... finding a stash of scuddy books in the ball-boys' room ( the boiler room off the old home dressing room, now the Aitken suite gents I reckon) and a huge debate arguement taking place about whether we should divvy them up equally, or in preference of age, or leave them be in case they belonged to someone important and we all got sacked, or someone scary and we all got a doin. Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

I've probably posted this before but my son was mascot v Hibs. I took him and my daughter to meet Lambie before the match and was telling Lambie about my daughters only previous Thistle match. She was sitting on my knee when Thistle scored and as I punched the air to celebrate I accidentally punched her too. Lambie replied, "well I hope you punch her a couple of times today" :lol:

:thinking: .... .... finding a stash of scuddy books in the ball-boys' room ( the boiler room off the old home dressing room, now the Aitken suite gents I reckon) and a huge debate arguement taking place about whether we should divvy them up equally, or in preference of age, or leave them be in case they belonged to someone important and we all got sacked, or someone scary and we all got a doin.

Since it was mentioned being locked in the ball boy's room in Sandy Clark's reign (midweek game) as he ripped the players apart for another poor performance, after about 30 minutes the ball boys left on mass, past the players, I remember that one of the boys said to a raging Sandy' you're not as scary as my mum and she's waiting outside', to much laughter from the players. He didn't last long after that.

• Like 1

Back in the late eighties whenI worked for the Fire Service, and we were told that one of the Pumps (Fire Engine would be making a trip to

Firhill for a familiarisation visit should there ever be a fire there.(there was one in the past)

I persuaded someone to let me take his place on the pump :thumbsup2: and spent two happy hours at my favorite place on earth.

I took my camera at got a few photos, one with Sandy Clark :( and one with Chicco :)

Game v Aberdeen at Pittodrie - 1974 (I think - either that or 75) Novemberish 1-1 draw - train back down - players and staff in buffet car - we joined them after it was opened to us plebs. Some of the players had "enjoyed a refreshment" with their meal - Rough was rough, Denis was a little "relaxed", Bobby Lawrie was excellent and probably doesn't remember much about offering me his greyhounds ("Jag" and "Thistle" I think they were called), Bobby Houston was a real character and Eddie Prudham took the praise for scoring the Thistle goal but a bit of abuse for being ordered off after the game! Ronnie Glavin was a bit subdued - he had actually just played his last game for the club as he was transferred the following week. All-in-all it was certainly a trip to remember - even some Cellic fans who got on at Dundee were respectful and joined in. Bertie and the management let the players do what they wanted as they deserved a bit of praise for a frankly excellent performance - needless to say Rough was magnificent.

Other happy memories strangely revolve around trips to Somerset Park and Hugh Sproat - not exactly hurled abuse as it was all good natured and given and taken in good spirit. Most memorable was when Thistle got a penalty (we were 1-0 down as they had scored from a penalty in the first half) and there was a delay whilst Frank Coulston got treatment - Alan Hansen was to take it, he had netted a 87th min penalty to defeat the now defunct Glasgow Rangers FC in a 4-3 victory the previous Wednesday, so we all knew where he was going to put it (or so we believed). Naturally some excellent "advice" was offered to Shuggie during the delay, with much pointing and shouting. Hansen scored - of course- and Shuggie had excelled himself in diving the wrong way - eliciting the chant "Shuggie went the wrong way..............." Sproat took this in good stead and even pointed at himself as the chant repeated......................... good times! :happy2: :happy2:

​must be about 10 year ago went to aberdeen with my neighbours 14 year old son who was a dons supporter . we got on the Aberdeen supporters bus in George sq.got a reduced rate because he was a member and i was "uncle" jim. got to pitodrie thistle scarf hidden under my jacket . i felt i could not let him go into the ground by himself so i went into the Aberdeen' support with him . the seats we got were next to the fence beside the jags fans. thistle scored in the first half and the jags fans went wild singing your only sheep sheep sh___ing ba~~~ds ' i was trying to tell them give me a break guys i am one of you. The last 30 mins was unbelievable they threw everything at us but still we held out for a win. Got back on a very quiet bus only to find i had won the sweepstake . great day in all.

​must be about 10 year ago went to aberdeen with my neighbours 14 year old son who was a dons supporter . we got on the Aberdeen supporters bus in George sq.got a reduced rate because he was a member and i was "uncle" jim. got to pitodrie thistle scarf hidden under my jacket . i felt i could not let him go into the ground by himself so i went into the Aberdeen' support with him . the seats we got were next to the fence beside the jags fans. thistle scored in the first half and the jags fans went wild singing your only sheep sheep sh___ing ba~~~ds ' i was trying to tell them give me a break guys i am one of you. The last 30 mins was unbelievable they threw everything at us but still we held out for a win. Got back on a very quiet bus only to find i had won the sweepstake . great day in all.

8th February 2003 - Alex Burns (13)???

got a distinct memory of Denis McQuade scoring a hatrick at firhill v dundee, he was playing centre forward that day and one goal entered the net via the back of his head when the winger (lawrie or ewing ?) just managed to catch the ball before the bye line and crossed while Denis had turned around to go back thinking he wasnt going to get it !!! Typical Mcquade , hey !

Haha, sounds like Denis. It couldn't have been Ewing, as he was no longer playing by the time Denis arrived.

One of my favourite Thistle memories came on a lads holiday to Bulgaria. We arrived at the airport only to be surrounded by red, white and blue scarves. Rangers were on their way to Southampton, Portsmouth or something for pre-season. 3 of my mates who were of that persuasion spent time greeting the players while i spent my time taking pictures of ugly mugs like Pedro Mendez. The Rangers players left, the dust settled and one of the big doors opened at the front of the airport. A man emerged from the bright light. John Lambie, pretty sure I screamed like a wee girl. Me and my mate spent a bit of time chatting to him, absolute gent. We got on the flight and he offered us a whiskey on him. We got off the plane but decided not to bother him at the Bulgarian airport. However, he came over to chat to us, showing his 2nd division medal which he still keeps round his neck. He left to collect his bag and his parting joke was one about shagging my mates Gran on his last visit to Bulgaria. What a top guy.

• Like 1

12th September 1998. Beat Stirling Albion 1-0 at Firhill. Nothing memorable about that. The Bino's player being dragged from the field by their manager after a red card, different, but not hugely memorable. What does make this game stick in the mind is that it was the last time I saw a player who was older than me score. Tommy Bryce was the player/manager and headed in the only goal. I'm pretty sure that is a personal record that will now survive.