Motherwell On Saturday

Auld Jag

It has been said a number of times this seson about games telling us where we will finish.But imo the outcome of this one will.Motherwell will be confident of getting a result because of the run they are on.But they must be concerned that despite the results they are still second bottom.We are also on a good run despite the loss tonight.My only concern about us our results against the teams we will now be playing.A win on Saturday and 1 more victory should do it,a defeat and I will be concerned about our chances of avoiding the play off.

Nothing will be decided on Saturday. Even if we lose (I'm predicting a draw) we're still above them going into the last 5 games.

Both RC and MWell can't both get max points. And when St Midden are finally confirmed as going down, I reckon they'll play a part as the players will have no pressure to perform.

But no doubting that it's squeaky bum time!!!

There will be a lot of football left after Saturday, and given how close it could potentially be, places could be swapped completely after every round of games.

I wouldn't say we have to win this, but the confidence difference between a positive and a negative result could mean quite a bit going into the split.

Message from Archie:

Saturday’s match is now vital and, with the visitors making noise about their biggest travelling support of the season, I need you to turn up and out sing our rivals for the final push towards safety. Share this with every Thistle fan in your phone book, tag any of your pals who haven’t been to Firhill for a while, email every Jags fan you know and get them to Firhill on Saturday. Get behind me, get behind the team & together we can do this....

Mon the Jags,

Alan Archibald.

Feels a similar scenario to the Morton showdown game of 2 seasons ago when both team and fans stepped up to the plate (see cliche thread).

Am I right in thinking that we were 4 points ahead going into that game, so a defeat would have made it tight, whereas a win stretched us away?

Only significant difference is the absence of James Craigen.

Every game from now on is absolutely crucial, until we are safe. That's it.

Really looking forward to a glorious win in the sun. 3-2 Thistle.

I too was at the 8-3 game against them in '71. It wasn't in anything resembling the sun - dreich with swirling winds - but glorious just the same.

We Are Thistle. Intaerrum.

• Like 1

Goal difference is our friend so we are > 4 points ahead. It's all still well in our hands.

Really looking forward to Saturday and i think we will win in some style. Inevitably we are all nervous but we should have fiath in the mnager and players. They have done everything asked of them over 2.5 seasons.

Post split is going to be interesting. The focus seems to be who we play and where. i.e is it three home games and two away or vice-versa. I think what is more important is the order of the games. Regardless of venue, playing Hamilton and St Mrren as early as possible has to be an advantage?

Will be interesting to see how Archie sets up the team. His instinct, I suspect, might be to err on the defensive side - after all a draw is to our benefit. I hope that he does not, and that a balanced team is selected that can take the game to Motherwell and defend high up on the pitch. It's a shame that James Craigen will be missing - he has the stamina and ability to link attack and defence.

PS. Surprised at so few posts on this thread given the importance of the game.

If it was me I'd bring in Tayor for Craigen. Drop Higgy back into midfield.

Go with:

Fox

O'Donnell .. Frans.. Balatoni .. Booth

Osman .. Bannigan

Higgy .. Stevo .. Lawless

Taylor

Think Archie might be tempted to swap Craigen for Fraser and drop Lawless or Higgy. As others have said a draw is better for us than Motherwell. Got a good feeling about this game, Well are hyped up on three wins vs three poor teams. We are playing very well and more than stood up against Celtic, even with 10 men.

If it was me I'd bring in Tayor for Craigen. Drop Higgy back into midfield.

Go with:

Fox

O'Donnell .. Frans.. Balatoni .. Booth

Osman .. Bannigan

Higgy .. Stevo .. Lawless

Taylor

Think this will be the starting line up in a 4-4-1-1. Go at them straight from the off, they have played nobody over the last few games. Hopefully they will see the true partick thistle tomorrow.

Here's an interesting idea. Motherwell will have had someone along at Parkheid on Wednesday scouting. As Craigen got sent off, the formation we played for the second half will have little direct resemblance to how we're set out tomorrow. Aspects of it may be similar obviously, but it (counter intuitively) may work in our favour that things had to be changed because of the sending off....

I think Fraser and Taylor will come in for Lawless and Craigen.

There should be a bigger crowd than normal there today but I've been a bit disappointed by the lack of hype for this one, given the importance. Depending on away support I reckon just over 4000. Hope I'm wrong.

As far as the game goes, we need to remember that they are still a poor team at the back an exploit that. It's yet another chance this season to turn the screw on team below us but I think we'll do it this time.

Thistle to win, both teams to score, 10/3.