Tag

Mediocre Pundit

Can any people who have signed up for TAG give an opinion as to whether it's worth it? I initially signed-up as it would be a good way to support the club financially and get some more interaction despite not being able to attend games very often. Apart from the obvious financial support to the club would people recommend it as good value for money? And, more importantly, have all the issues that appeared to happen with it at the start been ironed out yet?

Good questions and ones I'd also like to hear people's answers to.

A Nomad Tag with coverage would be awesome. Please.

As far as I'm aware inclusiveness was a major constituent within the concept of Tag. It stands to reason that the views of the Nomads and others who can't or have difficulty attending Firhill is paramount. More so perhaps than those of us who can purchase hospitality, season tickets and generally attend games.

My own opinion is the concept was fine but the delay in getting it up and running more or less scuppered it for me and I certainly don't believe I'll be alone with that view. But to repeat my views come secondary to those who are distanced from Firhill. So if it's deemed a success from that group's point of view Tag's fine with me.

I'm a TAG member purely because I'm a season ticket holder. Still waiting for all of the items on the 'feature-filled' list to be implemented for this season. What happened to Membership to one of the Club's official supporters' federations?

Would be interested to know whether TAG Plus features have all appeared yet. Access to a dedicated director? Monthly draw for attending a game as a Director's guest? Annual TAG Plus social event?

When I do my list of pros and cons of buying season ticket for next season, TAG won't even feature. Such a shame, I thought it was going to be good way back at the launch.

• Like 1

I am a season ticket holder and joined TAG + primarily to help the club via £. I think it's worth it primarily as I get to read a program instead of paying £2.50 for a paper copy which often I would not read fully. I also won a prize to attend a match with friend in directors lounge which was a nice novelty. Lots of multimedia with highlights and monthly mail from the manager. The foundations are there. Small tweaks and relaunch will help push it.

logged in a few times but tbh it is quite basic and the things you get with it should be free as they ain't worth paying for other than the match programme. They would be better doing a match programme and live game package and people would buy it. why they think that photos and video interviews is worth money i will never know.

• Like 4

logged in a few times but tbh it is quite basic and the things you get with it should be free as they ain't worth paying for other than the match programme. They would be better doing a match programme and live game package and people would buy it. why they think that photos and video interviews is worth money i will never know.

That pretty much sums up my view too.

The kind of content on TAG+ is precisely the kind of content that should be available to all Thistle supporters regardless of their financial involvement. To fly in the face of all known marketing concepts by limiting people's interaction with the club to those that pay almost beggars belief. We should be saying FFS it's another email from Thistle with links to Archie's interview or a player chat. Instead they segregate this behind a highly inefficient paywall. Bizarre thinking to say the least.

If they offered a package of match coverage and programme I reckon they'd be on a winner though. Not just for nomads, event for those who can't/ don't attend all the matches home and away.

• Like 1

Live Match Streaming I don't think would be viable. For starters the stream could only be made available to people outside the UK. I realise this would be great for a lot of nomads but the sad fact is that we don't have enough fans overseas to make this a financially viable option, given the inevitable expense to set it up.

Dedicated live radio commentary I think would be possible and very popular. I don't think it would be restricted to outside the UK meaning it was open to all and cheaper to set up than a live video stream. I'm sure there are loads of budding young commentators and radio broadcast students who would be grateful for the experience. Maybe something to look at for next season.

Live Match Streaming I don't think would be viable. For starters the stream could only be made available to people outside the UK. I realise this would be great for a lot of nomads but the sad fact is that we don't have enough fans overseas to make this a financially viable option, given the inevitable expense to set it up.

Dedicated live radio commentary I think would be possible and very popular. I don't think it would be restricted to outside the UK meaning it was open to all and cheaper to set up than a live video stream. I'm sure there are loads of budding young commentators and radio broadcast students who would be grateful for the experience. Maybe something to look at for next season.

Hmm, don't some other clubs of a similar size to Thistle offer live match streaming?

If they do then fair enough. I am guessing there will be some sort of license required from the governing bodies which probably isn't cheap. Then you have the set up costs. If you are charging people then you need to make sure it's a good reliable service. Probably not cheap. Then there's the fact that you couldn't allow anyone in the UK to legally buy or watch the stream, basically ruling out the vast majority of our fans and potential paying audience. It's all those factors that led me to conclude that it probably wouldn't be a viable option. Celtic obviously have a huge fan base compared to us, especially outside of the UK, meaning that it's probably a great earner for them.

I don't think there is an issue with license when you limit it to non UK viewers, or at least the is less issue. Dundee do it, I'm sure Queens Park used to do it. I used a proxy and paid a fiver for a Dundee vs Thistle match a couple of years ago. It was down the entire first half, so they refunded everyone who paid.

I got TAG membership automatically as a season ticket holder, as did my sons, but none of us has bothered to request a password (and certainly none of us received one automatically, which is what you'd expect if the concept were being pushed). I just feel the club is trying to get fans to do all the running to sell its services. It's difficult to understand why the club should make things even more difficult for itself by announcing "exclusive" interviews, etc. on the OS. At least it's consistent, though: the broken promises towards the Jags Trust about representation and shares make it difficult to take any apparent benefit as read. Maybe the Greens' performance at next year's Holyrood elections will put a firecracker under various clubs' backsides, if their proposed fan ownership legislation goes through - and it's difficult to see who but dinosaurs would oppose it, just like land reform.

The problem with Fan Ownership is that it can easily go wrong, just as any club who get bought by a Romanov or a Mileson can go wrong.

Dundee fans craved fan ownership for years - once they got it they decided it was too much hard work for them and gave it up.

Clyde and Stirling Albion, both now fan owned, and both clubs very much struggling.

Do I have the confidence in our own support to run our club? If the jags trust example is anything to go by, then probably not.

The problem with Fan Ownership is that it can easily go wrong, just as any club who get bought by a Romanov or a Mileson can go wrong.

Dundee fans craved fan ownership for years - once they got it they decided it was too much hard work for them and gave it up.

Clyde and Stirling Albion, both now fan owned, and both clubs very much struggling.

Do I have the confidence in our own support to run our club? If the jags trust example is anything to go by, then probably not.

Think fan ownership is fine and could easily work. Trick would be to convert to fan ownership while the Club is in a relatively stable condition. Conversion as a way out of a financial predicament is always going to be difficult tho' you could argue that there was little else you could do. Tho' no better, I'm uncertain if Stirling Albion had any other choice and as they're still around they might even be a relative success.

I watched the Dundee thingy quite closely and I'm far from certain a club like ours would have caved in and had their fans' share diluted with input from a similar source of investment. I sense there's too many Dees who feel their club should be returning to the nonsense days when signing Ravenelli, Cannigia and enquiring after the likes of Edgar Davids was little above routine

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• 1 month later...