Jack Hendry

It's not costing us anything to run, and we are apparently about to get £100k for a player who hasn't even played 10 first team games. Yet you want to scrap it now, when we are starting to see the benefit?

The irony being that he's come through the DU youth system before being released.

He's not really a ThistleWeir success story.

Ian_mac, Thanks, but I'm not misinformed. Well, I would say maybe that I'm not fully informed; isn't the Weirs' funding in place for four years, one or two of which are already up? Then what? I'm fully behind Weir Thistle in principle, but at some point there will need to be evidence of real benefit for the club, I'd think, unless it's really mainly a community project. We need excellent young players to make it as regulars in the first team, not just fringe players who eventually get binned, or sold on for what these days is chicken feed, even if useful chicken feed.

And how long do you give this to happen ?

If we are sitting 10 years down the line and we haven't had any players consistently in the first team then your argument may have some merit but to call to bin it after 2 years is IMO bonkers.

• Like 1

I think the EPL is an abomination and will eventually kill off football in this country. English clubs are buying up players, who have only played a handful of games in a scatter gun approach in the hope that signing so many players eventually they will come up trumps. Having already been discarded by one team Jack Hendry should really be looking to extend his time at Firhill where he will get a game and the experience he needs rather than end up in the EPL slagheap.

So, basically what Rangers and Celtic have been doing to Scottish football for the last 30 years or so? Grab all the best youngsters in the country, then buy expensive foreigners to fill the first team.

He is contracted to the end of the year, so can start talking to clubs in December. Any move outside of Scotland would have no training fee involved.

Not necessarily so, DD. Clause 3 of Article 6 of the FIFA regulations provides that the right to training compensation in respect of a player moving from one association to another inside the territory of the EU is preserved when appropriate notice is given of an offer of re-engagement.

Not necessarily so, DD. Clause 3 of Article 6 of the FIFA regulations provides that the right to training compensation in respect of a player moving from one association to another inside the territory of the EU is preserved when appropriate notice is given of an offer of re-engagement.

Weren't we caught up in a wrangle over a player like that a few years ago? (And probably lost the case.)

Whilst we are all discussing how much we can get for Jack or what we think he is worth plus the future of the youth set up can we also hope that Jack, his parents and agent all discuss this and come to the best decision for him. I would hate to see him possibly move too early and lose his way. Yes it might mean we get some money but I don't think we would have been budgeting for that so we would not be lossing out really.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but where is all this chat coming from? All I can remember was a regional paper saying something random about an Everton scout being at the Hamilton game and being impressed by Jack when he came on as a sub after Frans got sent off.

The guy has barely played any games at this level. Who's actually wanting to buy him? Remember when English clubs have swooped in for players e.g. in the Hamilton team they've typically played at least half a season or so as a first team regular. I'd be very surprised if an English Premier team, or even a Championship team, would be rushing to throw any money at a 20 year old that has been completely untested, and has played 3 first-team games in his life. He's probably good, but he's not the next Roberto Carlos...

Martin Lauchlan

Jered Stirling

Now Jack Hendry

All players suddenly linked with big moves to big clubs right at the start of their careers, the 1st 2 never came off and the players rapidly declined playing way below the potential for the majority of their careers.

I either hope Hendrys move happens or if not the hype doesn't wreck his career

Forgive me if I've missed something, but where is all this chat coming from? All I can remember was a regional paper saying something random about an Everton scout being at the Hamilton game and being impressed by Jack when he came on as a sub after Frans got sent off.

The guy has barely played any games at this level. Who's actually wanting to buy him? Remember when English clubs have swooped in for players e.g. in the Hamilton team they've typically played at least half a season or so as a first team regular. I'd be very surprised if an English Premier team, or even a Championship team, would be rushing to throw any money at a 20 year old that has been completely untested, and has played 3 first-team games in his life. He's probably good, but he's not the next Roberto Carlos...

That was my observation a wee while back but I occasionally drink with an Evertonian (whose father has close connections to the club) and it appears Hendry has been on their radar for longer than the initial Liverpool Echo(?) article.

hopefully then that means we can sign him up on a longer deal so when they do come looking they have to pay a lot more

Shall we start discussing players who have had promising starts to their Thistle career and ended up doing nothing? I'll start you off with Ryan McStay - still one of the biggest disappointments in my time supporting Thistle given how well he started with us. When Jack Hendry puts in consistently strong performances for at least three months then I'll consider him "tested". Lets also remember that we've developed him for just one season - he's not a product of Thistle Weir, he's a guy we picked up who had been released by other clubs who is turning out to be quite promising (see also Steven Lawless, Sean Welsh, Stephen O'Donnell and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair)

What chance is there of real long term future for our club if fans are going to run down the first really properly organised youth policy we've ever had? I would presume the hope is that we'll manage to sell one or two players in the next couple of years which will pay for another few years of the youth academy. It's really only this last 6 months that development squad players have reached a level that they could be trusted in the first team. We now have Wilson, McDaid, Hendry and Lindsay as squad players (the latter two I'd reckon most of us would trust as 1st team players). Even if we don't make a fortune out of selling players it looks like we will be seeing more youngsters coming through in the next few years.

I may also add that it's taken time and effort and dedication of coaching staff (as well as any money we were given) to get to the present stage, to chuck it or even cut back would lose all that time and effort - not to mention make it difficult for us to regain the trust of parents who we'd hope to sign their boys up with us.

• Like 1

If we're honest there has been precisely one unequivocal success of our youth system in pretty much the last decade, and that's Stuart Bannigan. Even then we relied on another club (Ayr) to get him some proper game time before we even seriously considered him for our own first team.

Other Clubs with sparser or as sparse youth set-ups have had youth players become regulars before they're 20 at least one ever 3 or 4 years or so. ThistleWeir will only be able to be called a success when we are generating players from cradle to Bing more than just by law of averages.

If we're honest there has been precisely one unequivocal success of our youth system in pretty much the last decade, and that's Stuart Bannigan. Even then we relied on another club (Ayr) to get him some proper game time before we even seriously considered him for our own first team.

Other Clubs with sparser or as sparse youth set-ups have had youth players become regulars before they're 20 at least one ever 3 or 4 years or so. ThistleWeir will only be able to be called a success when we are generating players from cradle to Bing more than just by law of averages.

Think that's a slightly wrong take on Bannigan. McCall rated him as his top prospect when other U19s were outperforming him. Apart from that bit of nitpicking I can't argue with the above.

One thing that's just occurred to me is we as PTFC would consider Thistleweir a success if we produced just one solitary player we then sold on for £1m, just as much as five players each at £200K. I don't believe Thistleweir would view it like that.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I find the discussion of whether or not the youth system is working a bit bizarre to say the least.

Hopefully we will find out a bit more about the Hendry story in the next day or so. Would be good to get it sorted one way or another while the club can still act, if required.

I find the discussion of whether or not the youth system is working a bit bizarre to say the least. Hopefully we will find out a bit more about the Hendry story in the next day or so. Would be good to get it sorted one way or another while the club can still act, if required.

Think the fact that Lindsay, McDaid and (now) Wilson have gotten decent game time and are seen as (at least) decent squad players shows that it is (albeit slowly but it's not been going that long) beginning to show some success. After all it isn't just about selling on players. Youngsters - at least until they've played a year or two in the first team are going to be less expensive than older players who will require signing on fees as well as bigger wages. Also if youngsters progress that far they'll have shown they have the right character and will be familiar with the team's system and players. You'd also expect they'll be keen to make a name for themselves and will have an energy and enthusiasm an older player may not have.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Eh? That's how the development of young players works 9 times out of 10. Before they are ready for the first team they go on loan to a lower division side to gain experience, then return and (if deemed ready) get a shot at the first team. You seem to suggest we somehow got lucky. Apologies if I'm entirely misreading you though!

Eh? That's how the development of young players works 9 times out of 10. Before they are ready for the first team they go on loan to a lower division side to gain experience, then return and (if deemed ready) get a shot at the first team. You seem to suggest we somehow got lucky. Apologies if I'm entirely misreading you though!

Let's take James McCarthy, James McArthur or Stephen Hendrie at Hamilton as examples. Neither were loaned out. All were playing in the first team by the age of 16 and were regulars by the time they were 18. Other examples might be Leigh Griffiths at Livingston, Ryan Gauld or Stuart Armstrong at Dundee United, Stephen Pearson at Motherwell, Callum Paterson and others in the administration Hearts team.

I'm not suggesting the youth set-up is a failure if we don't unearth a multi-million pound EPL superstar. But the trend at Thistle has been one in which actual break-through into the first team, Bannigan aside, has been the preserve of those aged around 20 or 19 if we're lucky and they've come from another Club. Other Clubs are literally 2-3 years ahead of the curve on us, introducing their own players to their own first-team football between the ages of 16 and 18. This doesn't mean that loaning out doesn't have a place when they are that age, but I find it instructive that we've had to rely on loaning-out for the solitary success of our youth set-up in a decade and that we're simply not producing players ready for a bite of the cherry at first-team football until they are 19 or so, and even then in small numbers. If ThistleWeir doesn't change that in the next 3-4 years, we have to start asking why that is.

Is someone seriously suggesting that unless we throw young players into the first team at 16 rather than waiting until they're ready for first team football at around 19 that a youth system would be a failure?

That's absolutely astoundingly moronic.

No. I'm suggesting that a youth system which only starts to give players regular first team games when they are about 20 isn't as good as ones that bring through players into first team regulars two years earlier.

Could be Jack Hendrys replacement and can play right back and centre half!

Hearts have ended their interest in Shaun Rooney after a trial period and the Queen's Park full-back is now on Partick Thistle's radar. (Daily Record)

http://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/rooney11.jpg

Rooney was on trial yesterday with Dunfermline, alongside big Conrad!