Parliamentary Matters...

I fully support the motion as reported and would praise my MP (not as the article has it MSP) for drawing attention to the contribution of the club in the constituency and wider fields for acknowledgement.

:fan:

As for being a disgruntled unionist and prattling on.... well.... I guess republicans who are elected to parliament who take their seat and salary, and wish to make contributions might rationalize their oath or solemn affirmation of allegiance to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors, in that it is done "according to law", and that they will remain loyal but hope for change in the law rather than work to that end. Or perhaps, like Tony Banks, former Minister for Sport in 1997 the solution of crossed fingers behind one's back is sufficient to rest their conscious. For many, doubts in the sincerity of such individuals will understandably remain.

Humble apologies... But it was cued. :happy2:

• Like 1

I notice from the list of these things there is one for Motherwell and one each for the bigot twins - a waste of parliament, patronising and frankly MPs should have better things to do with their time (and our money). Of course it's probably better than the previous MP pastime of fiddling expenses - albeit recently some of them seem to be slightly under-employed when it comes to taking care of their domestic relationships.

• Like 2

I notice from the list of these things there is one for Motherwell and one each for the bigot twins - a waste of parliament, patronising and frankly MPs should have better things to do with their time (and our money). Of course it's probably better than the previous MP pastime of fiddling expenses - albeit recently some of them seem to be slightly under-employed when it comes to taking care of their domestic relationships.

Bang on, especially the patronising bit. It wouldn't be quite so bad if Grady were a Thistle fan.

Maybe our Thistle-supporting Parliamentarians can put their money where their mouths are and tithe 5% of their salaries to the Jags. The three supporting this motion alone could boost Archie's basic wage budget by over £200 a week, which could be the difference between singing a Maestro and a Mukendi.

:P

• Like 1

I remember the young Derek Lyle scoring his first goal to win the game for us at Palmerston. It was a vital win as I think I am right in saying that it finally lifted us off the foot of the Division 2 table after a start to the season similar to the one just past. Maybe a sliding doors moment. A draw or a loss that day and the rot may have set in and taken us down to Division 3 from where recovery might have proved impossible. So I will always be a little bit grateful to Del Boy.

Really stretching the memory here. Did George Rowe of Queen of the South miskick, allowing Lyle to nick the ball off him and round the keeper and score? I do recall it was a real "fans' goal" and one of the best celebrated ever!

I couldn't agree more. Quite simply too much time is wasted each year slapping sports clubs, organisations and celebrities on the back which could be used to do the meaningful work that MPs are actually employed to do.

From The Sunday Times :

'What really excites MPs? Here’s a clue. Number of MPs who have supported an early day motion backing mental health awareness week — 18. Number who have supported a motion to mark 140 years of Partick Thistle FC — 28.'

Sunday Times lecturing on priorities. Just where did their sister papers place the Hillsborough story the other week?