Under 21S

SussexJag

few controversial decisions in match however i fully take on board what you say. something has gone wrong at all levels,take iceland,excelling main international team,u21's and women national team being a prime example of grassroots good coaching yet smaller nation than us with no big 7 figure transfer fee 'stars'. whole infrastructure needs addressed imo.

Lost 1-0 at home to Macedonia. That's absolutely dire and actually worse than the seniors who generally don't lose at home to mince. So just when it couldn't get any worse, it's about to...

An old topic but where are the future stars....

Gutted.

Under 21's is pointless anyway. Most of them will never play for the senior team. Gauld, Henderson, Kingsley and maybe Ryan Fraser will get/have caps but guys like Love, Slater, McGhee etc will never make it. I'd say our national team will be largely on a par with what we currently have in years to come.

The future "stars" of the Scotland team will either already be in the team such as Burke and McGinn, or may be still too young for the under 21's. Plus we'll have the usual array or English born youngsters who haven't yet given up on making it with them.

Lost 1-0 at home to Macedonia. That's absolutely dire and actually worse than the seniors who generally don't lose at home to mince. So just when it couldn't get any worse, it's about to...

Gutted.

On Friday night I caught a bit of bbc sportsound and one of the panel ,whose name I did not catch, stated that it was a learning process for our youngsters against MACEDONIA.

Ffs I have been listening to this crap year in year out. Our whole setup is fecked from the bottom to the top. We,ve had personnel going back all the way to a mr ernie walker, up

until henry McLeish,s masterpiece, trying to find a way to improve our game. Can anybody tell me if they seriously think we will see great strides in the near future with our current

setup and leadership.?

Under 21's is pointless anyway. Most of them will never play for the senior team. Gauld, Henderson, Kingsley and maybe Ryan Fraser will get/have caps

Jeez, things are bad if Kingsley is getting a game for the U/21s....lol Seriously the whole scenario is a joke from youths to senior. Celtic v Sevco on Saturday and surprise, surprise Griffiths and Wallace pull out with injuries. What are the odds they will be fully fit for Saturday?

Yup the withdrawals are shocking too.

But there has to be something fundamentally wrong - guys like Bale turn up for Wales, guys who can't lace his boots don't. I guess folk like Levein, Sbragia, Stark, and the rest of the SFA nonentities haven't exactly motivated people in the past - but I wouldn't say Strachan lacks passion or indeed at least some sort of managerial track record compared to the rest of them.

Man for man I don't believe Scotland are good - but then neither are N. Ireland. Rep of Ireland, Iceland, Hungary, etc - all of whom are doing better than us, and they seem to have a team ethic and pattern that masks the lack of basic ability. Even two of Wales scorers v Belgium (Vokes and Robson-Kanu) are no better than our guys, but there they were doing the job, and there we weren't.

Sorry, but of a pointless rant with no solutions on offer!

The rules may have changed years ago for all I know, but I have some vague recollection that there was a regulation (which I think had general application, not just to Scotland/UK-maybe UEFA/FIFA?) that where players pulled out of an international squad citing alleged injury, the national federation could require that the player did not feature in his club' s next match (or perhaps all matches within a given period of time?).

Imagine the howling and wailing if the SFA had the guts to enforce that rule as regards Leigh Griffiths and Lee Wallace.

Guts..SFA...? It will never happen

Gutted.

The state of Scottish football is summed up by the signing of adam barton, who I hope will be a revelation at firhill. He was going to be way down the list regarding guaranteed first team football at DIV TWO Portsmouth

due to players coming back from injury and new additions.We partick thistle who are a PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB have signed him on a three year deal along with a transfer fee. Says it all in my opinion .

I may be wrong, but the Wallace thing seems to stink. It's like he took the huff about not being picked initially so decided to call off after being called as a replacement. He was tweeting about being back with sevco on a flight to Belfast. As far as I'm concerned we should forget about him in future

The state of Scottish football is summed up by the signing of adam barton, who I hope will be a revelation at firhill. He was going to be way down the list regarding guaranteed first team football at DIV TWO Portsmouth

due to players coming back from injury and new additions.We partick thistle who are a PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB have signed him on a three year deal along with a transfer fee. Says it all in my opinion .

Comparisons with England are absolutely pointless and ridiculous. English football contains 2 of the 5 leagues in Europe which spend the most on transfer fees. I mean, absolute nobodies like Crystal Palace can spend £27 million on one player.

Adam Barton had featured in 5 matches for Portsmouth this season already, which suggests that he was very much a first team player there as well. And in any case, Lucas Akins (remember him?) holds down a regular place in the English championship, so comparisons can be made which show either in whatever light you want.

• Like 3

Comparisons with England are absolutely pointless and ridiculous. English football contains 2 of the 5 leagues in Europe which spend the most on transfer fees. I mean, absolute nobodies like Crystal Palace can spend £27 million on one player.

Adam Barton had featured in 5 matches for Portsmouth this season already, which suggests that he was very much a first team player there as well. And in any case, Lucas Akins (remember him?) holds down a regular place in the English championship, so comparisons can be made which show either in whatever light you want.

I wish Thistle were absolute nobodies that got 25,000 sell-out crowds for home league games.

Re the Wallace thing. I see that Strachan has gone out of his way to say that Wallace turned up though he WAS injured and very much showed the right attitude before he was let loose to go to Ireland with his club mates to use the physio facilities which had gone with the team.

I know it's very easy to get the wrong end of the stick and we've all done it at some point.

I get your point re club football but money in our leagues (or rather lack of money) should've very little to do with our lack of success at international level.

We already know there's far more of us per head of population go to watch football so it's not unreasonable to imagine that would reflect in our interest in football in general and in turn reflecting on the number who play the game at some stage of their early life. It's an absolute embarrassment that two of our near neighbours, with lesser population and interest in the game can show more recent success. One's national game is rugby whilst the other has Gaelic sports to contend with ffs.

Go further afield in Europe and it's the same story, small nations, whose national sport is not necessarily football, out performing us with ease. That really kicks into touch (npi) any argument about us finding our level after years of punching above our weight (npi again). In this day, when our clubs have little if at all any chance of being successful in Europe, it's all the more sad that our international team is not performing.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Could be argued that lack of money in our domestic league should improve the standard of the national team. Not so much cash to spend on bang average foreign players means more opportunity for home grown youngsters. The argument around just how we develop these young players and the infrastructure/personnel in place to do so....that's perhaps another story.

The last time we had any kind of group of decent young lads coming through was when that Setanta deal fell through and clubs were forced to play youngsters as they could no longer afford the 2nd rate foreigners being brought in to the SPL. Money may be crap currently but it's a lot more than the clubs had back then and we can see all the non-Scots in the league. Thistle are no better though hopefully our youth development will provide more good young Scots for the team in future. It's notable I think that 2 of the best players in our current squad were acquired from the Juniors in their early 20s. How were they missed? It suggests something is lacking in the identifying of potential in Scottish football.

Edited by Mr Bunny

The real question is how is Chris Erskine not getting a call up. Watched the highlights of the hearts game and he was involved everywhere. He stood out for me on both teams so why is a guy like him not having a chance to be in the scotland set up.

Because he's absolutely nowhere near good enough.

He's a great player for Thistle, but he'd be miles out his depth playing international football.

Because he's absolutely nowhere near good enough.

He's a great player for Thistle, but he'd be miles out his depth playing international football.

Not sure I wholly agree. I think there's a lot to be said for playing 'form' players in these games (especially against the likes of Malta) - half the squad are currently sitting on the bench for their clubs, so why not give these guys a chance? There is always a bias towards the OF & England, regardless of if they are playing or not - something that has never changed in my 36 years & I doubt it will change now.