Attendances

scotty

The harsh reality is unless more fans support the team financially this is about as good as it will get. Sure we may find ourselves in a cup run and enjoy a brief moment of euphoria but the likelihood is that after a period of time still to be determined we will end up back in the Championship.

Why, because not enough fans stick their hands in their pockets and support the club. That's their right it's their cash after all, however by doing so they hurt the clubs prospects of affording better options. They compete with better supported teams who can buy better and in general have better players. You can only, swim against that tide for so long then you sink.

No point looking at the club we don't have a rich benefactor putting money into the first team, we can only look at ourselves. If we don't go and pay for the match, merchandise, Jagszone etc then we only have ourselves to blame for the product on the park or the division we will find ourselves in.

Yesterday was poor but I can assure you a dull game against Dumbarton ain't any better, I'm sure you'll recall.

• Like 1

Price is undoubtedly a factor, as is the quality of the product.

But it's also the namby-pamby p1sh that has crept into the game.

Such as weans in the North Stand, clapping the away supporters, clapping (and even chanting for) former players, community champions, all seated stadia, clapping when a player returns the ball to the opposition, lack of full blooded tackles (no yellow cards yesterday being an example), people moaning about industrial language.

No wonder crowds are down across the land.

Well f uckin said :thumbsup2:

Why, because not enough fans stick their hands in their pockets and support the club. That's their right it's their cash after all, however by doing so they hurt the clubs prospects of affording better options.

As much as I like to support the club as much as possible, I don't see any business having a right to expect customers to offer them free money.

One thing that has always struck me is that there is quite a lot of people of Chinese descent in the local area yet I don't think we get many attending games. There are also a lot of Polish people in Glasgow (I believe they are now the largest ethnic group in Scotland) - could the club maybe have a Polish evening at Firhill to attract people along? I am sure some must be football fans so could we become their Scottish team?

Polish tend to support Celtic. Past players and religion may play a part of that. Every Polish person I know is a Celtic fan.

The amount of fans won't increase (big games aside) until, price changes or results dramatically improve. I think it's the same across most of Scottish football. I'm not even that sure if we were consistently top six for a lot of the season we'd attract many back to Firhill sadly.

I go to the games now mostly for a few drinks, banter with a small group of fans I've come to know and in the hope of a decent game of football (Not even looking for wins, just an alright game is all) I just buy a season ticket, mostly to support the club, not sure I make enough home games for it to be beneficial to me. Actually usually after a run of defeats like just now I start to think i'm a jinx and do something else on Saturday.

I don't know if we have a larger stay away fanbase than average or indeed a larger then average potential support. No real way of measuring that tho' gut feeling tells me we may have. Whatever, it's worth always remembering that Scottish league football draws the largest percentage support per head of population. Way ahead of most countries in fact. So it's reasonable to conclude we may have more difficulty in attracting more fans than many other nations.

I don't know if we have a larger stay away fanbase than average or indeed a larger then average potential support. No real way of measuring that tho' gut feeling tells me we may have. Whatever, it's worth always remembering that Scottish league football draws the largest percentage support per head of population. Way ahead of most countries in fact. So it's reasonable to conclude we may have more difficulty in attracting more fans than many other nations.

Is that true? Was that your own calculations or did you read that somewhere. That's actually quite surprising. I read Anne Budge talking about Scotland having too many teams, when you think about population and the choice of football teams, she's no miles away with that statement.

I heard that on radio at the weekend. Ball-park figures suggest 2,000,000 attend football matches per season from a population of 5,000,000 - 40%. The figures are grossly distorted by Celtic and Rangers attendances however and are not nearly as impressive or competitive if you exclude them.

Glib comments by people who see football purely as a business always amuse me. We're a football club. We don't make widgets. As Bob Crampsey used to say, if you amalgamated the Fife, Lanarkshire or Angus teams into "Uniteds", would everyone go? He consistently argued they would not and that they would be lost to the game for ever. How many of us would be as passionate if we had merged with Clyde? Everyone is in favour of clubs amalgamating - as long as it's not theirs.

• Like 2

I heard that on radio at the weekend. Ball-park figures suggest 2,000,000 attend football matches per season from a population of 5,000,000 - 40%. The figures are grossly distorted by Celtic and Rangers attendances however and are not nearly as impressive or competitive if you exclude them.

If you exclude the top 2 from any league their figures won't look as impressive.

Glib comments by people who see football purely as a business always amuse me. We're a football club. We don't make widgets. As Bob Crampsey used to say, if you amalgamated the Fife, Lanarkshire or Angus teams into "Uniteds", would everyone go? He consistently argued they would not and that they would be lost to the game for ever. How many of us would be as passionate if we had merged with Clyde? Everyone is in favour of clubs amalgamating - as long as it's not theirs.

Nothing 'glib' about suggesting that we're competing with other businesses for custom. We can keep talking about what people used to say, or the way attitudes used to be, but we'll be left with just the core of us, dwindling slowly if the 'business' doesn't move with the times. Ignoring that is one way to ensure more people choose Scotstoun or Braehead over Firhill.

Saw the figures the other day and

Is that true? Was that your own calculations or did you read that somewhere. That's actually quite surprising. I read Anne Budge talking about Scotland having too many teams, when you think about population and the choice of football teams, she's no miles away with that statement.

The last figures I saw referred only to the top leagues in each country but I think I've seen figures for senior football as well that corresponded. Anyway I think it's just over double the head of population in Scotland attend top league fixtures compared to England. If I mind we're maybe 1.4% of pop and the nearest to us is Norway with most of the big football countries under 1%.

This wasn't the figures I saw, which were more recent I believe and obviously didn't include Iceland as part of Europe https://rowzfootball.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/who-watches-the-most-football-in-europe-average-attendances-by-population-across-european-top-flight-leagues/

Still it gives the gist of what i was saying.

• Like 1

This wasn't the figures I saw, which were more recent I believe and obviously didn't include Iceland as part of Europe https://rowzfootball...flight-leagues/

:thumbsup2:

The league structure is baws as well, it's so boring playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season. I wish it was the same setup as the Premier league, play each team home and away, three up and three down. etc...

This wasn't the figures I saw, which were more recent I believe and obviously didn't include Iceland as part of Europe https://rowzfootball...flight-leagues/

Given these interesting stats, perhaps we should be looking not for new football fans but disillusioned fans of other clubs.

League Structure.....already a couple of games in and its cut throat must win matches. Most people will go and watch a game and enjoy it more when you don't have the worry where a few bad results and its curtains, even the songs in the North stand are few and far between once we lose a goal. this in turn leads to negative play like Saturday where instead of going for goals, we are content to continually pass the ball back, and kick the leather off the ball with inane passing that inevitably ends in losing possession anyway, this in turn results in Archie's fear in playing players who are coming through the development side. Remember Against Dundee Utd a couple of years back..........Goalkeeper........three touches........O`Donnell.....goal..............that's how to get fans back. Its going to be a very, very long season

Polish tend to support Celtic. Past players and religion may play a part of that. Every Polish person I know is a Celtic fan. The amount of fans won't increase (big games aside) until, price changes or results dramatically improve. I think it's the same across most of Scottish football. I'm not even that sure if we were consistently top six for a lot of the season we'd attract many back to Firhill sadly. I go to the games now mostly for a few drinks, banter with a small group of fans I've come to know and in the hope of a decent game of football (Not even looking for wins, just an alright game is all) I just buy a season ticket, mostly to support the club, not sure I make enough home games for it to be beneficial to me. Actually usually after a run of defeats like just now I start to think i'm a jinx and do something else on Saturday.
Polish Jags