English Football

thebiglemon

1973 - I get my first Subutteo set. Blue and red. Blue for Ipswich: Ipswich become my English team.

1984 - 21st birthday travel to Portman Road to see Glenn Hoddle and Spurs destroy as side falling apart after Robson takes England job

1986 - West Brom 3 Ipswich 4, Bobby Williamson and Alan Sunderland score hat tricks. Classic game taken in on way back from Harwich after Inter-rail trip

2017 - Just watched Town beaten by Lincoln playing football that would sicken Dick Campbell or Tommy Bryce. Championship in England must be rotten if Ipswich are 14th. It was like watching my local junior team Neilston with the only difference being that Neilston play like they give a shi*

Makes me appreciate McCall, McNamara, Archie more for trying to play half decent football

• Like 1

Terry Butcher trying hard, but most likely failing miserably, to put himself forward for the gig.

Would I be right in remembering that Terry Butcher was a leading player when Ipswich Town were a major power in the land under manager Bobby Robson? That might give him some helpful hero status with the fans and thus a slightly longer honeymoon period than others might be permitted.

His managerial record is distinctly patchy with his reasonably successful periods at Motherwell and Inverness the exception rather than the rule. Relegating Hibs must be his most memorable achievement.

Would I be right in remembering that Terry Butcher was a leading player when Ipswich Town were a major power in the land under manager Bobby Robson? That might give him some helpful hero status with the fans and thus a slightly longer honeymoon period than others might be permitted.

His managerial record is distinctly patchy with his reasonably successful periods at Motherwell and Inverness the exception rather than the rule. Relegating Hibs must be his most memorable achievement.

Cooper

Burley, Mills, Butcher, Osman

Thijssen, Murhen, Wark,

Brazil, Mariner, Gates

Sub: McCall

Great days

Was at the FA Cup semi final replay at Stamford Bridge when West Ham narrowly beat Ipswich 2-1. Ipswich were the better team. They had some very good players like George Burley, Mick Mills, John Wark, Brian Talbot, Colin Viljoen, Bryan Hamilton. Above all they had Kevin Beattie who I was lucky to see play 3 or 4 times. Beattie was some player.