Development Team

Maestro

Yip, terrific result. Must admit to having been disappointed in McLaughlin when I have seen the team this season, but my son (who knows him) keeps telling me the club are playing him out of position and that he is an out and out striker. When I have seen him this season he has been played wide with McDaid occupying the strikers role. After that performance yesterday, perhaps he should be given an elongated run up front.

Strange game yesterday. I think Cullen only had two real saves to make but both were very good stops. The last 70 minutes of the game all we had to show for ourselves was one single goal arising from a defensive error. I lost count how many goal chances we created where we should have or could've scored. It wasn't a case of taking the foot of the pedal and just seeing the game out.

McLaughlin had a good game and took his goals very well but it was far more of a team win than down to individual performances. The possession and range of passing throughout the team particularly in the 2nd half was admirable. Although still probably not up to a 1st team regular place I'm beginning to see something in Syme (as a centreback). The lad appears to be a natural leader and his decision making looks first class. He played left side CB yesterday till the late substitution (Granger for Kelly).

I noticed Ricky Sbragia at the game. Forgot he was no longer U21 national manager and no idea what he's up to just now. Also John Rankin who's just joined Q o S. Maybe checking out a player to go out on loan? Craigan and Lasley were there as well but that's almost certainly to do with the cup game on Sunday. Motherwell always impress and it'll be a very hard tie to win. Even without the likes of Penrice and McMullen plus no McDaid (overage) it's still very winnable.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Not sure if Penrice and Wilson are allowed to play at weekend thus cup tieing them but if the club dont allow them to feature for loan clubs it seems logical they would play on Sunday for important development game.

Wilson is overage. I don't know the terms of the loan but McMullen has a free weekend. Penrice and Nisbet have games on Saturday.

Wilson is overage. I don't know the terms of the loan but McMullen has a free weekend. Penrice and Nisbet have games on Saturday.

I thought Nisbet was back with us and just about, would be daft to cup tie him on Sat should he feature with Ayr. Peterhead are out of cup so McMullen should be fine. Didnt realise Wilson could no longer featurenfor Development team,really do hope he impresses at Stranraer despite manager taking him there getting sack after David's first appearance as do like him as a player although it is a position we are well covered in. Prob could allow Penrice to play for East Fife as we probably do have left back cover for the bench come the cup final in May.

Edited by elevenone

I'm presuming Sunday's game will be played to a finish. Can anyone confirm?

Also, Kevin Nisbet's loan spell at Ayr United finished last Saturday, I expect he will be playing.

Always a replay if draw after 90 mins in the Scottish Cup early rounds as far as I'm aware

Edited by jaggy

Are you sure? There were replays in the last round. It's only usually semis and final that are played to a finish unless something has changed this season

Jaggy, we're talking about the development team game on Sunday. Youth Cup 1/4 final v Motherwell.

Bit chilly but it's dry so if you have got nothing planned get up to Firhill at 1.00pm and hopefully cheer the young guys into the semi finals today. Motherwell are the best young side I have seen us playing this season, but in saying that they had quite a few players with first team experience that night and it showed, they looked a big powerful side. Hopefully it will be a bit more of a level playing field today.

I see from the official site that the Thistle Development squad eventually went down 3-4. Sounds like an exciting game and our team did us proud. However, no doubt a difficult defeat to accept. I am sure that there is plenty of encouragement to take from this and previous performances, and it will be heads up for the lads as they move on with their league programme.

Well that was a bizarre game for several reasons. Didn't get in until 1.15, my son checked the text updates and it showed 0-0 ( don't think he refreshed it) Saw Motherwells 3 goals and thought it was 3-0 at ht. My son checked the site again at HT and we then realised it was 2-3!! My take on what I saw was that we gave away 3 sloppy goals in a mad half hour, dominated the second half completely and got done by a preventable goal with 5 minutes to go. Nisbet had a very good game up front and I thought the young left back done well. Again Motherwell looked a more powerful side, especially their goalie, centre half and centre forward, but the late goal was a sickener after playing so well in the 2nd half. We have some good prospects coming through in the side. Was sitting just along from Liam Lindsay and his mate. It was bloody baltic up there today so surprised to see Liam with trainers on without any socks! Brave guy...lol. Was gonna tell him to take his feet off the seat in front of him, but he is a big guy!!

Edited by Lindau