New Players...

Vinnyjag

^Scotty

Just scroll down the page on the home page or go here and bookmark: https://ptfc.co.uk/jagzone/

(Well worth a look for the interviews I mentioned above).

^^^Other guys above you

What a lot of nonsense some of these posts are. There's not all that much movement going on elsewhere either. We have specified we are only looking for 3, at most 4 players to improve the team. That means we are looking for a better standard, which means these guys will be looking at other offers and will take time to decide on their moves. On top of that the English transfer window doesn't open until July 1st so things will be slow until then.

Of course we may have to make late moves for a couple of defenders if we lose Lindsay and Keown; though I'd imagine Archie has someone lined up to replace Keown if we don't know his situation in a couple of weeks time - he'll want at least one replacement centre back in for preseason training. Lindsay's situation is a little different in that we will only be letting him go if we get good money for him and we'd use some of that money to replace him (I presume some of any money we get will go into the Weir Academy bank vault).

Edited by Mr Bunny

What would get them real praise would be a permanent link to the forum. (though if you've tried to find the link to Jagzone recently, that may not be much of a benefit!)

Personally, I'm against a link from the OS. Might be seen as blurring the boundaries. 'Unofficial' is fine with me.

I do hope, though, that the club do look at the site on a regular basis. If they welcome feedback from fans, then contained within these pages is a wide spectrum of opinion. I know many people associated with the club have accounts. Can anybody tell us whether it is club policy to scan the forum?

Personally, I'm against a link from the OS. Might be seen as blurring the boundaries. 'Unofficial' is fine with me.

To my mind a link from the "fans" page shouldn't compromise the "unofficial" status. The supporters buses and unaffiliated clubs are linked from there.

^Scotty

Just scroll down the page on the home page or go here and bookmark: https://ptfc.co.uk/jagzone/

(Well worth a look for the interviews I mentioned above).

^^^Other guys above you

What a lot of nonsense some of these posts are. There's not all that much movement going on elsewhere either. We have specified we are only looking for 3, at most 4 players to improve the team. That means we are looking for a better standard, which means these guys will be looking at other offers and will take time to decide on their moves. On top of that the English transfer window doesn't open until July 1st so things will be slow until then.

Of course we may have to make late moves for a couple of defenders if we lose Lindsay and Keown; though I'd imagine Archie has someone lined up to replace Keown if we don't know his situation in a couple of weeks time - he'll want at least one replacement centre back in for preseason training. Lindsay's situation is a little different in that we will only be letting him go if we get good money for him and we'd use some of that money to replace him (I presume some of any money we get will go into the Weir Academy bank vault).

Spot on, And we also need to bear in mind that a lot of players and managers will have taken holidays following the end of the season. It is far to early to say whether we have or haven't got any of the guys that Archie wanted. I know that we all want to see some news, but being realistic, it will be well into July before we see any signs of action in the transfer market.

Lindsay's situation is a little different in that we will only be letting him go if we get good money for him and we'd use some of that money to replace him (I presume some of any money we get will go into the Weir Academy bank vault).

Good point re the Academy. The Club have to make a start on self funding the youth set up and, tho' Liam may strictly not be a product of the current set up, a fair chunk of any transfer money could well be ring-fenced.

Must say I'm not concerned re the lack of news re new players. Tho' true the top six finish meant Archie could do early business that bit easier it also meant he could set his sights that bit higher. More concerning could be the late arrival of a couple of centrebacks, which would be far from ideal but obviously largely unavoidable.

To my mind a link from the "fans" page shouldn't compromise the "unofficial" status. The supporters buses and unaffiliated clubs are linked from there.

Agree with BB. Not so much from this site's position but it could compromise the official site. Perhaps if there was genuine friction between fans and Board (like during the sevco fiasco a few years back) it would be clearer why keeping the status quo would be preferable.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

We have lost 4 midfielders over the summer. We need need a few in!

It was central midfielders that Moneh mentioned. We've Barton, Bannigan, Fraser, McCarthy, Osman and Edwards signed up plus a couple of attacking mids. I can't see the logic of letting Welsh go then bringing in a replacement. The U20s will certainly be requiring central mids but I believe our immediate priority* will be a wide attacker (hopefully a goal threat) to play down the left.

* I'm omitting central defence as I don't know the situation with Lindsay or Keown.

• Like 1

It was central midfielders that Moneh mentioned. We've Barton, Bannigan, Fraser, McCarthy, Osman and Edwards signed up plus a couple of attacking mids. I can't see the logic of letting Welsh go then bringing in a replacement. The U20s will certainly be requiring central mids but I believe our immediate priority* will be a wide attacker (hopefully a goal threat) to play down the left.

* I'm omitting central defence as I don't know the situation with Lindsay or Keown.

Central defence would still be a priority I'd imagine. I can't see Lindsay staying personally, but even if he does, we'll be left with him, Devine and Barton as things stand. Should Keown come in as well, that'll be 4 but as Barton is nominally a midfielder and we have a tendency these days to go 3 at the back, doesn't leave us any room for injuries or rotation. With Lindsay probably leaving that exacerbates the issue and I'll be surprised if Keown is the only centre back we get in the door this summer (assuming he does come).

In fact, you could argue that centre midfield is the one area of the team we don't actually need to do anything about this summer (other that goalkeeper, obviously). If Dumbuya is fit, we're fine at right back, and Elliott can cover, but I wouldn't fancy Elliott at right back for any prolonged period of time. Booth is solid enough at Left back, but we could definitely improve and Penrice I would think will be sent out on loan again to gain some more experience. We're fairly short of wingers/attacking midfielders, and could always use another striker to help Doolan with the goals.