Stats Watch 2017-18

The Jukebox Rebel

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

All I would add is that in the days before goal average/difference and with Thistle and Dundee locked on 13 points, they were deemed to have finished equal.  Just as well!  Dundee's goal difference was -7, Thistle's (you've guessed it) was -30 just like this season.  Spooky or what?

Mind. Blown. :o

:detective:

17.05.2018 Livingston [a] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 1st leg)
DOOLAN CLOSING IN ON YET ANOTHER CLUB-RECORD

• 45-year-old Craig Thomson takes charge of his final game in senior Scottish football.
  • Baily Cargill registers his first assist as a Jag.
  • Kris Doolan nets his 11th competitive goal of 2017-18 and moves ahead of Conor Sammon (10) in the battle to finish as top scorer this term. The number nine is striving to become the first Thistle player in history to finish as top competitive scorer in FIVE successive seasons.
  • For the return leg, Thistle's most recent home record vs. Livingston bodes well, the last 10 reading: W8 D1 L1.
  • Thistle are now bidding to become the third side to recently overturn a first leg deficit in a Top-Flight play-off final, following on from Hamilton Academical (2014) and Kilmarnock (2016). Let's hope the bi-yearly cycle continues…

ongoing sequences:

• 18 consecutive competitive appearances for Baily Cargill, 23rd Jan 2018 to date. (Longest run since: Ryan Edwards - 35 games; 8th Aug 2017 to 3rd Apr 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 49 games since back-to-back League wins, 11th Mar 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 71 games; 16th Apr 2013 to 14th Mar 2015. Club-record: 77 games; 2nd Nov 1912 to 5th Dec 1914.)

14 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Kris Doolan nets his 11th competitive goal of 2017-18 and moves ahead of Conor Sammon (10) in the battle to finish as top scorer this term. The number nine is striving to become the first Thistle player in history to finish as top competitive scorer in FIVE successive seasons.

I hope Sammon finishes above Dools. That will mean scoring twice tomorrow!

20.05.2018 Livingston [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 2nd leg)
ARCHIBALD'S TAME THISTLE SIDE DESERVEDLY RELEGATED

• The biggest gathering of Partick Thistle supporters in 5 years bears witness to just how woefully ineffective Alan Archibald's Thistle have become.
  • Thistle's yellow card count rises to a massive 88 for season 2017-18, certainly the highest figure in 21 years, and possibly the highest figure ever.
  • Conor Sammon's 100% spot-kick record comes to an end, his lame stoppage-time effort now leaving him with a rather ordinary 75% success ratio.
  • Kris Doolan, with 11 goals, becomes the first Thistle player in history to finish as top competitive scorer in 5 successive seasons.
  • Thistle finished with a measly 1.02 goals-per-game in League and Cup action in 2017-18 (49 in 48), the club's 5th lowest scoring ratio of all-time.
  • Thistle lose for the 25th time in competitive action in 2017-18, the 7th highest tally of all-time and the most horrendous total since the abysmal season of 2003-04.
  • Thistle gain the ignominious distinction of being the first Scottish top-flight club to lose both legs of the play-offs Final.
  • Thistle become the first Scottish club to be relegated twice from the top-flight via the play-offs.
  • Partick Thistle are relegated for the tenth time in their history, and will now seek to be promoted for the eleventh time. 5 times out of 9 the club have bounced back at the first time of asking.

league stats:

• Thistle finished with 0.816 goals-per-game in this season's League (31 in 38), the second worst ratio of all-time. Doolan's goal in the final match at Dens Park prevented a new club-record from being set.  
  • Thistle failed to score in 44.74% of their League games (17 out of 38), the highest failure to score ratio of all-time. 17 is a joint club-record with the tally set in the 42 game campaign of 1920-21.
  • Thistle lost 15 League games to nil in 2017-18, a tally which matches the all-time record which was set in the 36 game campaign of 1995-96.
  • Thistle's goal difference (-30) registers as the second worst since the criteria was introduced in season 1970-71, with the figure from 1995-96 (-33) remaining as the club's record low.
  • Thistle finished with a paltry 11 goals away from home in the 19 League games this season. You need to rewind all the way back to 1912-13 to find the one and only time there was a lower total (7 in 17).

ongoing sequences:

• 19 consecutive competitive appearances for Baily Cargill, 23rd Jan 2018 to date. (Longest run since: Ryan Edwards - 35 games; 8th Aug 2017 to 3rd Apr 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 49 games since back-to-back League wins, 11th Mar 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 71 games; 16th Apr 2013 to 14th Mar 2015. Club-record: 77 games; 2nd Nov 1912 to 5th Dec 1914.)

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

9 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

20.05.2018 Livingston [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 2nd leg)
ARCHIBALD'S TAME THISTLE SIDE DESERVEDLY RELEGATED

• The biggest gathering of Partick Thistle supporters in 5 years bears witness to just how woefully ineffective Alan Archibald's Thistle have become.
  • Thistle's yellow card count rises to a massive 88 for season 2017-18, certainly the highest figure in 21 years, and possibly the highest figure ever.
  • Conor Sammon's 100% spot-kick record comes to an end, his lame stoppage-time effort now leaving him with a rather ordinary 75% success ratio.
  • Kris Doolan, with 11 goals, becomes the first Thistle player in history to finish as top competitive scorer in 5 successive seasons.
  • Thistle finished with a measly 1.02 goals-per-game in League and Cup action in 2017-18 (49 in 48), the club's 5th lowest scoring ratio of all-time.
  • Thistle lose for the 25th time in competitive action in 2017-18, the 7th highest tally of all-time and the most horrendous total since the abysmal season of 2003-04.
  • Thistle gain the ignominious distinction of being the first Scottish top-flight club to lose both legs of the play-offs Final.
  • Thistle become the first Scottish club to be relegated twice from the top-flight via the play-offs.
  • Partick Thistle are relegated for the tenth time in their history, and will now seek to be promoted for the eleventh time. 5 times out of 9 the club have bounced back at the first time of asking.

league stats:

• Thistle finished with 0.816 goals-per-game in this season's League (31 in 38), the second worst ratio of all-time. Doolan's goal in the final match at Dens Park prevented a new club-record from being set.  
  • Thistle failed to score in 44.74% of their League games (17 out of 38), the highest failure to score ratio of all-time. 17 is a joint club-record with the tally set in the 42 game campaign of 1920-21.
  • Thistle lost 15 League games to nil in 2017-18, a tally which matches the all-time record which was set in the 36 game campaign of 1995-96.
  • Thistle's goal difference (-30) registers as the second worst since the criteria was introduced in season 1970-71, with the figure from 1995-96 (-33) remaining as the club's record low.
  • Thistle finished with a paltry 11 goals away from home in the 19 League games this season. You need to rewind all the way back to 1912-13 to find the one and only time there was a lower total (7 in 17).

ongoing sequences:

• 19 consecutive competitive appearances for Baily Cargill, 23rd Jan 2018 to date. (Longest run since: Ryan Edwards - 35 games; 8th Aug 2017 to 3rd Apr 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

It has been a terrible season for every Thistle fan,but doubly so for you having to watch the games and then trawl through all of our worst stats.Hope you have a good summer and come back next season refreshed and we have record breaking stats of a good nature for you to quote.

• Like 1

TJR. Time to cheer you up and get you looking forward to next season, a change of scene and a change of stats.

Quite a few long away trips coming up. In alphabetical order and measuring the distance from Firhill and rounding up or down to the nearest mile produces

Alloa                                                                            33

Ayr                                                                                36

Dundee United                                                      82

Dunfermline                                                            39

Falkirk                                                                         29

Inverness                                                                 169

Morton                                                                        24

Queen of the South                                              78

Ross County                                                           182

Total mileage is 672 and doing it all twice is 1344 which works out an average of 75 miles per away game. Has the average ever been higher?

Could we become the furthest travelled fans in Thistle's history? What will this do for our carbon footprint?

John Lambie's First Division champions averaged a respectable 68 miles.

You really need both northern sides to stand a chance of making a challenge. Even with 2 teams from Angus and 3 from the deep south (Stranraer, Queen of the South and Berwick Rangers), Lambie's Second Division champions managed a measly average of 61 miles, and this year's lazy lot were down at 57 miles.

18 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

TJR. Time to cheer you up and get you looking forward to next season, a change of scene and a change of stats.

Quite a few long away trips coming up. In alphabetical order and measuring the distance from Firhill and rounding up or down to the nearest mile produces

Alloa                                                                            33

Ayr                                                                                36

Dundee United                                                      82

Dunfermline                                                            39

Falkirk                                                                         29

Inverness                                                                 169

Morton                                                                        24

Queen of the South                                              78

Ross County                                                           182

Total mileage is 672 and doing it all twice is 1344 which works out an average of 75 miles per away game. Has the average ever been higher?

Could we become the furthest travelled fans in Thistle's history? What will this do for our carbon footprint?

John Lambie's First Division champions averaged a respectable 68 miles.

You really need both northern sides to stand a chance of making a challenge. Even with 2 teams from Angus and 3 from the deep south (Stranraer, Queen of the South and Berwick Rangers), Lambie's Second Division champions managed a measly average of 61 miles, and this year's lazy lot were down at 57 miles.

You'd never guess it was the close season! :D

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Of course next seasons 1344 miles doesn't include any play offs. Season 05/06 I estimate we travelled on league duty roughly 1120 plus an extra jog to Stranraer & Peterhead. About 1380 in total.

Cannot argue with your maths (and would not want to provoke maths hysteria). So we may need to win promotion through the play offs to nail the record. Even then it is not guaranteed. If we finish second in the league, defeat Morton in the first play off round and then consign either Celtic or Rangers to the Championship, we would fall a few miles short. That would be so disappointing.

However, TJR may want to argue with your modus operandi. Several years ago I tried to make a point about Mark Roberts' league scoring record by adducing evidence from the play offs. TJR took me to task for abuse of non-cognate data (or something like that). It was made McChrystal  clear that if I had ever been a member of the Scottish Society of Soccer Statisticians, I would have been banished sine die.

On a quite different tack, with the Champions League Final coming up, and the likelihood that it will feature Andy Robertson, who launched his career into the stratosphere with a brilliant performance against Thistle for Dundee United at Tannadice, a question occurs to me.

Will Andy Robertson be the first non-Old Firm player to play a competitive fixture against Thistle and in a Champions League (or European Champions Cup) Final?

Obviously a whole hatful of Celtic players who played in the 1967 and 1970 finals would have played a competitive fixture against Thistle, most notably on 23rd October 1971. More recently Paul Lambert, Henrik Larsson, the de Boer brothers and no doubt others will have done the same double. But I cannot think of any player who has done this and not played for one of the Ugly Sisters at some point of his career.

I say competitive fixture as, if I recall correctly, Dwight Yorke, then of Aston Villa, who lifted the Champions League  trophy with Manchester United, played against us in a pre-season friendly-one of Kenny Arthur's earliest games?

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

On a quite different tack, with the Champions League Final coming up, and the likelihood that it will feature Andy Robertson, who launched his career into the stratosphere with a brilliant performance against Thistle for Dundee United at Tannadice, a question occurs to me.

Will Andy Robertson be the first non-Old Firm player to play a competitive fixture against Thistle and in a Champions League (or European Champions Cup) Final?

Obviously a whole hatful of Celtic players who played in the 1967 and 1970 finals would have played a competitive fixture against Thistle, most notably on 23rd October 1971. More recently Paul Lambert, Henrik Larsson, the de Boer brothers and no doubt others will have done the same double. But I cannot think of any player who has done this and not played for one of the Ugly Sisters at some point of his career.

I say competitive fixture as, if I recall correctly, Dwight Yorke, then of Aston Villa, who lifted the Champions League  trophy with Manchester United, played against us in a pre-season friendly-one of Kenny Arthur's earliest games?

I guess the most obvious place to look would be at any of our opposition in the Eufa Cup in 1972 or the Intertoto cup. Then probably any teams we played in the Dryburgh Cup. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I guess the most obvious place to look would be at any of our opposition in the Eufa Cup in 1972 or the Intertoto cup. Then probably any teams we played in the Dryburgh Cup. 

Robert Pires played against us in Metz and for Arsenal v Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League Final (Henrik Larsson played for Barcelona in the same game).

Stevie Archibald played against us for Aberdeen and for Barcelona v Steaua Bucharest in the 1986 European Cup Final.

Also Sergei Baltacha played against us for St Johnstone and for Dynamo Kiev in the 1986 ECWC final.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Robert Pires played against us in Metz and for Arsenal v Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League Final.

PS for Barney.

I read an article on the BBC Sport website about Alan Kennedy who scored the winner for Liverpool in a European Cup Final. His nickname was .........Barney Rubble!

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Brilliant answer!

Andy Robertson may still be the only Scot who fulfils the criteria (assuming  he plays, of course).

Howzabout Allan Evans (Pars)and Des Bremner (Hibs)?  I'm sure I've seen the latter play for Hibs so I'm assuming it was against us.

Sorry I shoud've  said both for Villa

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett