Are We Finished?

Auld Jag

After our 2 signings yesterday is that us now finished with getting new players in for this window? I think that we should now try and get some of the young guys out on loan to get them some game time.If we are finished i think our current squad is probably stronger than the one we finished with last season.

• Like 1

I'd like us to be at least looking at the left back position.

Not so sure, PT. I think Booth has upped his game both last night and at McDiarmid. Having seen Turnbull play I feel he's got the movement (unlike Seaborne or Lindsay) to cover as an orthodox left back, Penrice playing at centreback will have helped his defensive side of his game (Archie's words) and he's up to it going forward. Christie can play left side (even his crossing on his weaker foot has improved) and who knows the Milan fella could maybe also provide adequate cover.

Could be case of overkill but if we made one further signing I reckon it would a left sided attacking mid similar in style to Hippolyte at Falkirk. Maybe he could play left wing back in a 3-5-2, which isn't too far removed from a left back.

In prematch interview Archie was asked and said that will likely be it unless there is an emergency

If that is us,is this the earliest we have finished our transfers in?Hopefully we can get a settled team soon and start picking up points.As we don't want to be playing catch up as we have had to do in the past few seasons,It wont be easy picking up points with the games we have coming up,but our last few performances should give us confidence.

Depends which way you look at it but in a relatively injury/suspension free season we could already be overcompensated for players. For instance how would a fit Spittal walk into the team next week? Or who would you drop to make way for the team captain? Good problems and bad problems of course but it would be difficult to sell the guarantee of regular first team football to an additional player regardless of the position he plays. Further to that if our top academy players aren't going out on loan I think we'd be duty bound to show them a reasonable pathway to top team football.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I'd like us to be at least looking at the left back position.

I see Booth as the weak link in the team. However, I can't see us getting him out and someone else in at this stage. If Archie has faith in Penrice I can see him being our regular left back before the end of the season.

With regards to if we are finished or not I would think only loan deals out the way will be occurring. McLaughlin will go and, contrary to what was said on another thread, there is still interest in Nisbet from the Championship. Wages are stumbling block though I believe.

I see Booth as the weak link in the team. However, I can't see us getting him out and someone else in at this stage. If Archie has faith in Penrice I can see him being our regular left back before the end of the season. With regards to if we are finished or not I would think only loan deals out the way will be occurring. McLaughlin will go and, contrary to what was said on another thread, there is still interest in Nisbet from the Championship. Wages are stumbling block though I believe.
Yep...most of our problems come down that side. He can put in a good cross, and seldom uses the space on the wing.

Nisbet hopefully gets a loan deal sorted out. Essentially it is last-chance-saloon for him being the 4th choice striker at the moment. If he goes out on loan and has a decent season, he will hopefully come back next season at the age of 21, and be able to push Storey and an (unfortunately) ageing Doolan for a starting place since Sammon won't be here. But I think he will be released at Christmas and join whatever side he's loaned out to.

I doubt we will sign anyone else, the down side of having a big competitive squad is keeping players happy who are not involved every week.

Tried to work out a best starting 11 if everyone, including Dumbaya and Fraser are fit, and its really difficult, and regardless of which system we play, some good players are on the bench.

Good problem to have though.

Let me ask you LIB, you were at Perth what did you think of Nisbet that night, did you see what you believed he was capable of. When is the last time we scored 3 goals against St Johnstone.

Thought he was close to being MotM. Knowing he was starting certainly helped as opposed to being thrown in at the deep end as at Easter Rd. With our two new signings I just can't see him getting much game time at Firhill and should benefit from another loan. There is tho' a difficulty in findng a club in the 2nd tier where he would be a likely starter.

Nisbet might have to drop two divisions to be guaranteed enough game time unless Brechin or Dumbarton would accommodate. Not sure what a successful loan spell in Div One would prove. It would buy time if nothing else.

I see Sammon purely as a back-up. A bit of a Jim McIntyre if you like ;)

We could perm any 2 from Doolan, Storey & Nisbet and be fine.

Better than Nisbet dropping two divisions and playing in front of 280 fans on a bloody cold January midweek game.

Let's believe in Archie's ability to develop him further as an integral part of the Firhill first team.

• Like 1

Hadn't realised Muzzy only played 9 league games last season. Set that aside Banzo and GazFraz, then we've been paying a lot of wages to be honourable to players who have been (admittedly through no fault of their own) unable to make a contribution.

At what point does the decision come to cut them loose?

It is an interesting one and I suppose the value of the player in terms of what he can bring to the team and possible transfer fee play a part.

At the open day Archie made the point that players speak to each other if they are looking at a move to a club one has been at or is currently at and one of the factors is how they treat you and our standing by certain players has been noticed.

I see Sammon purely as a back-up. A bit of a Jim McIntyre if you like ;)

We could perm any 2 from Doolan, Storey & Nisbet and be fine.

Better than Nisbet dropping two divisions and playing in front of 280 fans on a bloody cold January midweek game.

Let's believe in Archie's ability to develop him further as an integral part of the Firhill first team.

If you believe he is only with us as back up why did he play in front of both Storey and Nisbet.

It is an interesting one and I suppose the value of the player in terms of what he can bring to the team and possible transfer fee play a part.

At the open day Archie made the point that players speak to each other if they are looking at a move to a club one has been at or is currently at and one of the factors is how they treat you and our standing by certain players has been noticed.

Yeah, it's a conundrum for sure. The club's behaviour in honouring contracts is 100% commendable. Having said that, we've been particularly unlucky with Sean. Muzzy, GazFraz and Banzo having been out for unusually lengthy periods over the last three years. Looking at the threadbare bench we had after we made top 6 last season shows that we cannot carry too many injuries at the best of times. I'll go back to a point I made on another thread last week and ask is it something in the training regime that needs tweaked?

Do players signing get medical. Don't think I have heard of players getting a medical before signing.

I give you Asa Hartford and John Hartson. Turned down by Leeds and ex-Rangers respectively due to medicals.

Having said that, do medicals go any further then general health, or do they cover all-over football health (i.e. ligament damage, muscle torsion etc)?