Irn Bru Cup - 15Th August

Fawlty Towers

To amplify the above - A77 is to be closed north of Stranraer from 8pm on Friday until Sunday/Monday for resurfacing.

The diversion adds 25 miles and goes via Newton Stewart to Girvan.

A77 will be open before the game, but return journey will be via diversion.

Decisions, decisions.....

To amplify the above - A77 is to be closed north of Stranraer from 8pm on Friday until Sunday/Monday for resurfacing.

The diversion adds 25 miles and goes via Newton Stewart to Girvan.

A77 will be open before the game, but return journey will be via diversion.

Decisions, decisions.....

Offer to host the tie and give the Stranraer fans the JHS??

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So all Premiership U20s knocked out by round 2 which I think is the same as last season so what are we learning? If the idea is for our youngsters to learn by playing against older players why not simply return to reserve leagues? Instead of a group of youngsters playing against older guys over 2 games we would have youngsters playing alongside older players against another group of youngsters combined with older players on a weekly basis which is surely better than what this competition offers.

On a matchday for the first team there are 18 players in a squad and we can only use a max of 14 so most games see 4 players kicking their heels so if they can get a game with the reserves on a Tuesday beside our best youngsters it will also mean they have game time under their belts if required for the next game.

• Like 1

So all Premiership U20s knocked out by round 2 which I think is the same as last season so what are we learning? If the idea is for our youngsters to learn by playing against older players why not simply return to reserve leagues? Instead of a group of youngsters playing against older guys over 2 games we would have youngsters playing alongside older players against another group of youngsters combined with older players on a weekly basis which is surely better than what this competition offers.

On a matchday for the first team there are 18 players in a squad and we can only use a max of 14 so most games see 4 players kicking their heels so if they can get a game with the reserves on a Tuesday beside our best youngsters it will also mean they have game time under their belts if required for the next game.

Had a wee look at the scores tonight thruout the competition and it looked to me every club you'd expect to win did so. The rules changed this year and we could've played two over age players. I realise we played Nisbet but had we fielded say two first team centrebacks or one first team centreback and Ryan Edwards I'd suggest the result would've been completely different.

The Challenge Cup always strikes me as either sponsor led or sponsor appeased. We all know the Scottish Cup and League Cup preceded the Betfred & the Wm Hill Scottish Cup. Those two competitions still have some semblance of their originality remaining. This Irn Bru thingy with its introduction of Irish teams, development sides and Welsh clubs, many of us never knew existed, is just plain daft. No dafter tho' than those who allow Messrs Regan & Doncaster a free hand to help ruin our game.

In complete contrast the players and management think colt teams in this cup is a tremendous thing and they really felt it very worthwhile - must say I look forward to seeing how our young lads get on against experienced campaigners and I hope the competition remains in its current format - or at least similar

I'm the same, I really enjoy getting to see the youngsters play competitive games against senior teams. I would also love an away day to Wales so holding out on that for next year

It can also be a bit of reality check - the young players at Celtic and Sevco in particular start to realise the step up to competitive football - how many billy big time loanees like Stevie Lennon have turned up thinking they are brilliant because they have banged in 30 goals in the youths ans reserves

Edited by Stephen1876

In complete contrast the players and management think colt teams in this cup is a tremendous thing and they really felt it very worthwhile - must say I look forward to seeing how our young lads get on against experienced campaigners and I hope the competition remains in its current format - or at least similar

Guess I'm contradicting myself as I too like to see the U20s face senior competition. I question the motive behind allowing colt teams in the first place but that's a different matter. No disrespect to Kevin Nisbet but realistically tho' the lads had little chance of progressing without using the quota of two overage wild cards in key positions (middle of defence in particular). That could've in turn allowed the lads to gain even more experience in the next round.

Challenge Cup should be for first teams only. The colt principle is only to really benefit two teams and is a backdoor attempt to get two colt teams into the lower leagues, imo.

To enhance our young players development we should look at other options. As suggested an enhanced development League perhaps or what about arranging friendlies against clubs further afield during the international breaks where the boys and perhaps squad players can get a run out?

I'm glad all the development teams got papped out tbqh as there us little enough integrity in this competition as it is.

Personally I wouldn't go to see the Colts in this competition even if we got to the final.

• Like 2

I might have picked this up wrong but it appears Ayr went thru on penalties using the traditional shoot out system. The New Saints from Wales put out Livi under the "new system" (where each team after the first kick take two in a row). You would imagine that in any competition there'd be one set of rules but then again this is the Challenge Cup and we all know who runs it.