Ross County V Thistle @ Dingwall

Knightswood Jag

Are the nomads raging again?

I'm certainly not. Sounds like we were up against it the whole game and lucky to be ahead. It's very different to the numerous games where we have been on top and failed to kill the game off for US to haunt us. So this time I think it is still a good point considering it sounds as thought County were the better team.

I would have taken a point before the game.I would have taken a point at half time.As we got to the 80th minute I hoped we could hold on and get 3 points, but also thought if we concede now I just hope we can hold on for a point. I know that is not very ambitious but at least we have a point on the board.Now to get our first league win.How great would it be to do that on Friday night.

• Like 1

We've always been slow starters and things work out fine......we started slowly last season and finished in top 6.....we're not getting the breaks.......the players have still to gel.......we've got players to come back from injury...... we were unlucky.......we're going back to basics in training this week......

That we can't score 1 and then hang on..I have lost count of how many we have thrown away by not scoring a second..it's getting a bit embarrassing now tbh

You clearly weren't at the game today. To be fair you could probably say that about the team as well. The most remarkable thing about the match was the fact we were able to hold onto our lead for so long. A lead we got thru a goal against the run of play. So you're way off the mark if you're saying we deliberately sat back after taking the lead.

Put another way the stats will show we conceded another late goal and, yes we scored first and didn't get a second. What the stats can't tell is how we barely deserved a point. A point we earned thru some heroic mediocrity if that makes any sense. :)

If we can play badly and draw you might say that's a good thing. I would because I don't get semi-suicidal every time we don't win or play at our best.

In most of my time following Thistle playing badly meant getting pumped: by Clyde, Meadowbank, Forfar etc

The bigger question yesterday was how East Kilbride v. Neilston could be postponed on the best day in ages???

A point away at county is always a decent result, disappointed to lose a penalty but it happens, by all accounts we were under the cosh most of the game and didn't really get going. I'd take a loss on Friday if it means a win on the Tuesday as we will be fine league wise but a good cup run is desperately needed for the club and fans, I make it 16 years since we made a semi-final and over 40 years since we made a final in the main cups. The team has the skill & depth to make top 6, and I think it still will, but I'd take 10th and cup any day

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused.

You say that we were mediocre. The manager says he's proud of the performance.

????????????????????

A strange quote indeed IMHO? I'll put it down to Archie feeling the pressure a wee bit. As others have said, I think it would have been a bit of a steal had we taken all three points yesterday, but I would've gladly taken them.

It was the first game in a while against County, that I have to admit that they might well have been the better team.

Hey, ho to be totally honest when I stepped off the bus in Dingwall I'd have happily taken a draw. As for the penalty, by contemporary application of the rules I think it was a penalty. Even, if it feels like a kick in the guts to lose such a late goal again.

We'll really have to step up to the plate in the games to come, but to be honest if the players can't raise their game for the upcoming games against Mad Pedro's Muppets then they really should be thinking about taking up new careers?

Edited by stillresigned

I"m told erskine has a niggling strain, can't last for a full 90 so might be that he's being used in a sort of impact player role?

Anyways having been to Dingwall and the aberdeen game and spoken to my son who was at the st johnstone game i've a thought about why we are losing late goals. Take yesterday, for first 30 mins i felt we matched them and played better possession footy, we matched them up to half time and in the second we got deeper the longer the game went. Then for the last 10-15 so many players looked done, very leggy and slow to react. I'm just wondering if we are still building on the players stamina.

I'm sure we'll get there, and have faith in the team, we are getting better......in archie i trust

I agree Thistlebright. In the games I have seen where late goals have been conceded, the players did look tired, played deeper and were a bit slow to react. I also thought that there was no-one on the pitch who was giving any/enough encouragement and was mustering the troops. Sorry to bang on a bit about this subject, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. I can't see any reason why the squad should not have reached full match fitness by this stage of the season - other teams seem to have managed it.

• Like 1

Fantastic play by Doolan for the goal, won a throw in then took it quickly.

At his 100 goal prize giving after the Aberdeen match last season we were praising his achievement and professionalism. I mentioned jokingly something along the lines about maybe not taking any more throw ins. If you recall Dools played out wide for part of the game and made a real hash of at least one throw in. Things do come back to bite you, don't they? :)

Highlights would seem to suggest that a point was a good result - but, of course, highlights can be deceptive.

Highlights are more than regularly deceptive. Just so happens in this case both the highlights and the reality of the situation are in tandem.

The pluses yesterday were few and far between. Think only Spittal and Scully were above criticism tho' maybe Devine and Barton are also worthy of a bit of praise. Devine picked up a rather daft booking early on and was naturally targeted by County for the remainder of the match. Did well to avoid a second yellow under provocation and still put in a useful defensive shift. Barton didn't give the ball away as often as he's done recently and his distribution was also more positive.

At his 100 goal prize giving after the Aberdeen match last season we were praising his achievement and professionalism. I mentioned jokingly something along the lines about maybe not taking any more throw ins. If you recall Dools played out wide for part of the game and made a real hash of at least one throw in. Things do come back to bite you, don't they? :)

There was poetic justice in Ross County being undone from a throw in. We are all used to players stealing 5 or 10 yards and taking a throw in well forward from where the ball went out. Just prior to Dools' intervention, County were not shy about coming forward and stole about 30 yards at a throw in from around the same general area, while referee and assistant slept. If TJR kept stats for yards stolen at throw ins at Thistle games, this would have been top of the list for at least the last century, although I appreciate that measurement data from nineteenth century games may be a trifle uncertain.

• Like 1

There was poetic justice in Ross County being undone from a throw in. We are all used to players stealing 5 or 10 yards and taking a throw in well forward from where the ball went out. Just prior to Dools' intervention, County were not shy about coming forward and stole about 30 yards at a throw in from around the same general area, while referee and assistant slept. If TJR kept stats for yards stolen at throw ins at Thistle games, this would have been top of the list for at least the last century, although I appreciate that measurement data from nineteenth century games may be a trifle uncertain.

Excellent point. It's very difficult to have any respect for a linesman that stood back and allowed that particular County throw in to take place. Hard to believe the guy would be intimidated into such non action by any referee. Even harder when the referee in question is John Beaton, an official who has difficulty keeping up with play, and thus should be all the more dependent on his linesman.

There has to be an identifiable reason why we lose so many late goals: The extremely high proportion of late goals compared to total goals conceded cannot be a matter of chance! I don't know what the reason is, but the Club has to make a much more determined effort to sort the problem. It may be in the minds of the players, or it may be in the team set up, or the need to make more intelligent substitutions late in games. This cannot be allowed to continue - its been going on for far too long.

We have been mentally - and physically - fragile in each season we have played in the top flight under Archibald. There are no tough, Lambie-esque players with grit and a determination to win. Archibald has had the opportunity to identify and address this - things aren't going to change, I'm afraid.

From the highlights: right at kick-off, Barton neatly got past a Ross County player, stopped, sent a meaningless horizontal pass to Bannigan, who then sent a stupid horizontal pass to Elliott who was hemmed in by two players; Elliott had little choice but to play it back to Turnbull, who was running back towards Czerny so touched it on to him; Cerny then hoofed it upfield. Result?: possession lost right away, and Ross County almost scored immediately thereafter, Czerny having to make a decent save.

What on earth was going through their collective minds ?

Edited by Jaggernaut