Hearts 23/9/17

Auld Jag

Christie a better left back than Callum?

That ain't sensible man.

if you appraise it like a manager would , you would say Christie is better defensively than Calum , quicker than Calum , better in the air than Calum , as wing backs going forward there is not a lot of difference between them.

Good problem to have when they're both fit .

if you appraise it like a manager would , you would say Christie is better defensively than Calum , quicker than Calum , better in the air than Calum , as wing backs going forward there is not a lot of difference between them.

Good problem to have when they're both fit .

As a left back, there is not a chance that Christie is better than Callum.

Ok, I respect your opinion.

Two questions; where has Callum been weak and where is Christie superior to Callum as a left back?

Think Elliot shades it defensively with his height and power and his tackling ability, also think Christie as a wing back with his pace is a bigger asset ,

It's all about opinions I suppose

The guy I sit beside hates Elliot and tells me he has seen stats that show he was involved in 27 events last season (and a huge number ahead of anybody else in the league making errors) which led to an opposition goal. AND he says that this stat shows six such events this season already.

Does ANYBODY know what he's talking about?

I used this format for Rangers game and think I'll give it another go.

The Good

Defence looks solid. Feel much more comfortable with 3 at the back.

Spittal. What an exciting player and this assists and goals already are impressive.

A strong bench and to think we have 5 or 6 players out injured.

2 up front! Positive tactics.

1st half we were the better team.

Another good atmosphere with a big away support.

Plenty of action. Box to box. Exciting game where either team could have won it at the end.

The Bad

We played too deep at times and played deeper as the 2nd half went along. The equalizer was coming.

The midfield is not clicking. I like Barton and Edwards in there but Osman, is he maybe a player who does not get the credit he deserves?

Was Hearts goal a goal? No one can tell for sure.

Scully distribution. I'm happy with this shot saving but he needs to sort his kicking out.

Doolan and Storey were not working as a pair. While Doolan and Erskine are on the same wavelength it is not the case with these 2. Some work needed on the training pitch.

Christie injury. Get well soon. xxxxx

The Ugly

Hearts are a team that concentrate on big bruisers with little flair or excitement. Levein is back!

Right at the side of the city end heard someone shout "Black b******" at Goncalves. Only one shout from one person. Totally unacceptable though.

I have watched the highlights on the BBC website a number of times.If you stop it at 3.07 Devine is well behind the line when he heads the ball and it looks as if the ball Is over the line. I thought we had got lucky for once when the keeper let the ball go through him.I should have known better.

the one thing that callum booth has over christie as a left wingback is that he can kick a ball with his left foot

so for me booth wins it hands down

Elliott has been playing better at left back this season than Booth has been this season. Now that could be down to Booth not having a full pre season. Btw Elliott's that much an athlete I sometimes doubt he needs a pre season. Also if we were to play Lawless out left Christie being right sided would be an advantage.

I disagree with potty trained in so much that I believe Booth on top form is a better left back than Elliott. I don't tho' feel we've seen Callum on top form for a while. Also I'd suggest as our current problems go having Elliott play on his wrong side isn't of much importance..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Our formation is not settled. While we have decent strength in depth but, we don't have perfect like-for-like cover. One injury can effect the formation we suit and therefore have a knock on effect on who plays in several positions. For example, Osman being out might mean we persist with a back 3/5 more often, with more attacking wing backs or revert to a more defensively minded back 4.

We call it "a back 3", but against the h*ns we shaped up more 5-1-3-1. Jam tarts it was looking more 3-4-1-2

Personally, I'd prefer the back 4 against most teams.

Taylor-Sinclair was probably our most effective attacking "wing-back" as opposed to dedicated defensive "Full back". In our first season up we persisted with a back 4 and while ATS continued to to his flying full back thing well, we were caught out by better players being able to exploit our attacking ambitions.

I think we have the midfield and attacking personnel now to really make a go of it playing 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-2-2 and take more control of games further up the park and through the middle. But, I do concede 3 centre backs has been working well in the last 3 games and it might be the best way forward for now.

3,4, or 5 at the back affects this current Eliiot/Booth debate. Christie has only played on the left of a back 4 once this season and only a handful of times previously.

There's not much between Christie and Callum in terms of basic skills, commitment or speed. Christie has been terrific taking on the challenge of moving from an attacking to defensive player. His enthusiasm and determination whether on the left or right is commendable.

Booth's experience at the back gives him the edge when it comes to reading the game and getting the balance right between the attacking ambition of a wing back and defensive responsibility of a full back.

Christie is decent defensively and confident pushing forward. He's not really had the chance to refine his game for a specific position. His energy and determination aren't always sufficient cover for lack of experience.

With a back 3/5, I'd say there's a real battle for the jersey. Back 4 and Booth would walk back in tomorrow. Booth ain't back tomorrow. Opportunity for Christie to gain that valuable experience.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

doolan hadn't run out of steam but was subbed and he didn't look too happy about it

the sooner cerny is back the better

Doolan was subbed so that we could sit back more and as usual it didn't work. We changed from a 3-4-1-2 to a 3-5-1-1, we need to stop going on the defensive when we're 1 goal up in the last 10 minutes, if we had kept attacking we probably would've got another goal and killed the game off as we had them on the ropes.

Doolan was subbed so that we could sit back more and as usual it didn't work. We changed from a 3-4-1-2 to a 3-5-1-1, we need to stop going on the defensive when we're 1 goal up in the last 10 minutes, if we had kept attacking we probably would've got another goal and killed the game off as we had them on the ropes.

Did that against Rangers last season, conceded and Archie got slaughtered on here for it.

In the past Archie has been slated for not putting additional defensive cover when we have a slender lead near the end. It is hard to know whether we sat back on Saturday or whether Hearts upped their game

Hearts upped their game when Elliott went off.

We had to sit back because Scully's kick outs were terrible.