Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

Kilmarnock have been in the top flight of Scottish football continuously for the last 20 years and won the Scottish Cup and League Cup in that time. St. Mirren, Inverness, Ross County, St. Johnstone have all won major trophies in recent years.

Is there a reason why cuddly PTFC have been such failures? Do ambition and the will to succeed shine through from those who run the club?

Sadly, cuddly PTFC and lack of ambition go hand in hand. Outwith winning promotion from the seaside leagues, the only success I have had the great pleasure of

witnessing was the 71 cup final.

With the club's books in a healthy state now, thanks to the weir's fantastic generosity which has also created our academy and future training complex, I for one, had

this great dream that we would have pushed on this season and further established ourselves as a premier club. .

Is it a case of being prudent, avoiding relegation and hoping for the best?

I hope to be proved wrong but I do not think last season,s top six will be repeated.

Edited by mulguy jag

We are detached at the bottom of the league - four points from safety.

We are therefore in deep deep doo.

But you carry on embarrassing yourself.

Meantime I'll live in the real world.

Barney, were you living in the real world when we were sitting 12th last Xmas?

Believe in Thistle

• Like 2

So, Kilmarnock change manager because their board and fans think they should be doing better.

Ross County have changed manager as they too thought they should be doing better.

There are grumbles from our support that we should be doing better.

So, who's over achieved so far, that would allow these teams to have done better?

Celtic...

Seriously, it demonstrates how ridiculous the whole thing is. Dundee and Hamilton are effectively one game better off. Meanwhile Kilmarnock are now being described as a club with ongoing serious issues. There are people on here who'd drag us into that same kind of negative loop.

• Like 1

Would anyone fear playing another side managed by Alan Archibald?

Straight answer, no I wouldn't be fearful, but I sure as hell would be very respectful of a team managed by AA. Or for that matter any manager that has achieved anything like what Archie has in recent seasons. I doubt we'd exactly have been wetting our knickers playing a Hibs or Accies team managed by Wee Bertie or playing against Lambie's Accies or Lambie's Falkirk.

Here's the Quiz - If Archie is Sacked, Name any Manager who you think would improve the position and who would be available on Archie's salary. Please remember whrn making your decision Thistle's injury situation.

2- Please supply the names of third choice right backs and left backs of any team in the bottom eight that would not weaken the team.

3- Name the team that is joint top of the league that lost 3-0 at fir park in the last fortnight.

• Like 1

Calm yourself down. Why should my opinion invalidate my argument? Present your case to argue my point on excitement and amount of goals scored?? Last season I attended 11 league games and witnessed 1 win (2-0 Dundee 28th December), maybe you can then appreciate that what I have seen has been dismal. We haven't changed our style this season and its going to take a major upturn in fortune to reverse the results.

Calm yourself down. Why should my opinion invalidate my argument? Present your case to argue my point on excitement and amount of goals scored?? Last season I attended 11 league games and witnessed 1 win (2-0 Dundee 28th December), maybe you can then appreciate that what I have seen has been dismal. We haven't changed our style this season and its going to take a major upturn in fortune to reverse the results.

So what is it that finds us in this position ?

Luck, bad management or poor players ?

We dont score enough goals, we concede too many goals and our build up is excruciating. Excitement has also been sparse. Its been this negative loop for 2/3 years!!!!

Last season we went on an 8 game unbeaten run and finished top 6 for the first time since promotion. In pre-season we made 8 new signings and announced plans for a state of the art new training facility.

This season, while results have been poor and we sit lowly in the table, not all performances can be labelled such.

We are one of only two teams to concede only a single goal to Celtic in the league, we got beat by the odd goal in 7 by Aberdeen, we held Rangers to a draw over 180 minutes of football by scoring 3 goals. This included playing with 3 centre forwards on the park in order to snatch a last minute goal to take them to extra time in the league cup. Defeated by the odd goal against St Johnstone in the league, we previously pumped them 3-0 away from home in the cup. Motherwell have a a very good home record so far. They have been beaten at fir park only by the odd goal against only aberdeen and rangers and have scored at least 2 goals in each of their other home fixtures to secure 4 victories conceding only once.

The current table shows we have played the top 6 sides, drawn against 2 of the bottom 6 and have yet to play the other 3 poorest starters.

We started the season playing what most would generally consider our favoured 4-2-3-1 formation. We switched to a 3/5 at the back formation which was working quite effectively for 3 games. Player suspension and injury has inevitably disrupted our possibilities and consistency. Double injuries at both Left back and in defensive midfield have made team formation and player selection peculiarly tricky.

ETA - We also put 5 past current championship toppers st. mirren, conceding nil.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

The St Mirren game has been the only exception to the rule, it was quickly followed by Airdrie and Stranraer which wee for the most part utterly forgettable.

Its doesn't matter if we only lose by a goal to celtic or Aberdeen or anyone, its still a defeat.

We need to beat Killie, surely. As I said on Saturday though, if we don't, there will be a few of you pointing the finger at Billy Bowie for bringing in a new manager rather than our own misgivings.

Why is it that narrow wins against smaller teams do not count, yet narrow defeats to bigger teams do?

How can you rationally regard our best season in nearly 40 years as disappointing, just because we didn't have great results when you happened to attend?

As for entertainment, this is Scottish football; and most neutral observers will tell you that generally, over several seasons, we're more entertaining than most.

You can reasonably argue about how poor our current form is, but in my opinion writing off the achievements of previous seasons just makes it all look a bit silly.

Edited by allyo

The St Mirren game has been the only exception to the rule, it was quickly followed by Airdrie and Stranraer which wee for the most part utterly forgettable.

Its doesn't matter if we only lose by a goal to celtic or Aberdeen or anyone, its still a defeat.

We need to beat Killie, surely. As I said on Saturday though, if we don't, there will be a few of you pointing the finger at Billy Bowie for bringing in a new manager rather than our own misgivings.

Exception to what rule?

It is relevant in relation to how we are competing in games. It is significant in relation to goal difference.

Last season Dundee and Ross county ended on the same points. Dundee got more money for having better goal difference. In 1992 we were promoted because we finished with better goal difference than Hamilton. While we might not be title contenders, with the split in the league it increases the prospects of goal difference being crucial.

We need to beat someone. Killie look like the best bet right now. Losing by the odd goal against Celtic, scoring 3 against aberdeen and holding rangers to a draw suggests it we might be worth a punt against anyone.

Last season finishing in the Top 6 was incredible, especially given what I had seen. If it wasn't for the singing and the beer it would have been even more traumatic. As for narrow wins for and against, its our inability to kill teams off that repeatedly cost us. That's my point relating to the amount of goals we score.

Whatever way you look at it and I look at it, we need to be doing a lot better over the next few games

It's important that Archie picks the right team this week with the right tactics , watched the Motherwell game back and the amount of space Motherwell had in the middle of the park was unbelievable. You don't want to scapegoat players but Adam Bartons display was abysmal , players were running off him and he basically chucked it with 30 mins to go typified when Moult nutmegged him and made no attempt to chase back.

We need to be hard to beat again with workers in the team, I would go back to 4 2 3 1 , hopefully with Banzo back in the team as one of the holding midfielders.

A spell on the bench won't do Adam Barton any harm even if he is a player with undoubted ability.

So what is it that finds us in this position ?

Luck, bad management or poor players ?

Training methods, we seem to get way too many injuries compared to other teams and also seem to run out of steam earlier than other teams.

I honestly think if we sort this we will sort (majority) the results