Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

Storey was terrible yesterday.Thought we bought him to score goals and take some of the pressure of Doolan and not as a left winger.I know we are struggling with injuries but playing players out of position and it doesn't work isn't going to help confidence.

Are we playing Storey out of position? I certainly didn't think we signed him to play in place of Doolan or just as a back up. I can't see many advocating two up as a default formation (we're struggling enough in midfield as it is). Imo we signed Storey to compensate, nay improve on, the loss of Azeez. Storey is strong and has genuine pace. Given these attributes if the guy can't cut in from the right or left and offer a goal scoring threat and/or assists to Doolan it says more about him than the position he's being played.

Defence aside as I see it we've four new additions to the side, Spittal, Storey, Sammon and Banzo. Spittal is the only one of that quartet that I can say has knocked it off so far. Banzo for obvious reasons hasn't been up to speed and, tho' I'm guessing, I reckon Sammon has neither surpassed or fallen short of expectations. Storey has simply not lived up to expectations to date.

eta playing Spittal means we really have to compensate somewhere for his lack of pace and that puts pressure on the manager to play Storey.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Dont know PT,but as I am not the Thistle manager it doesn't matter. It wasn't working with Storey so it should have been changed.

Why pay money,£40k was it ? For a forward to help Doolan then shove him on the wing?

Well it does matter. You can't sit criticising the manager for playing Storey there and not be able to offer a single alternative!

I'm not the manager so it doesn't matter? Bloody hell.

For reference we did change it, we put Spittal out left against SOD late in the first half and he stayed there for the majority of the second.

PT as I say I am not the manager,he is the one who watches the players in training and knows where they can play. But whoever the manager is he should be demanding effort and yesterday there was no effort at all.You obviously will not hear a word against Archibald but I don't think even you could defend that performance yesterday.Alan Archibald has done brilliant for us as a player and manager but if he cant turn this around,the longer the run goes it could sour the memory of what he has done.For the record I hope he does turn it around because like yourself I am a Thistle fan and want to see us do as well as we can. Alan Archibald will always be a legend for Thistle, but nobody is bigger than the club

Edited by Auld Jag

PT as I say I am not the manager,he is the one who watches the players in training and knows where they can play. But whoever the manager is he should be demanding effort and yesterday there was no effort at all.You obviously will not hear a word against Archibald but I don't think even you could defend that performance yesterday.Alan Archibald has done brilliant for us as a player and manager but if he cant turn this around,the longer the run goes it could sour the memory of what he has done.For the record I hope he does turn it around because like yourself I am a Thistle fan and want to see us do as well as we can. Alan Archibald will always be a legend for Thistle, but nobody is bigger than the club

More than happy to provide and listen to, valid criticism.

Like only naming 5 subs, or dropping Turnbull to name two examples.

But when you criticise him for playing someone out of position at left wing, when we don't have any fit left wingers, it looks rather silly.

But when you criticise him for playing someone out of position at left wing, when we don't have any fit left wingers, it looks rather silly.

I wasn't the least bit surprised to see Storey played in wide attack. I would've been surprised to see Doolan or Erskine dropped to accommodate Storey elsewhere.

Maybe Knightswood Jag could start another poll to determine where the manager should play him?

eta, Only kidding, KJ. Please don't.

• Like 1

We were rubbish against them on Saturday

But we’ll be back. Believe

I think how Archie approaches the game on saturday will define whether he should stay or go. In his interview After the he correctly identified what was wrong., too many balls hit wide , not closing down ,not playing enough through the middle not picking up runners , too many touches ect. Many of the problems came from his own tactics and team selection..This obsession he has with trying to stretch teams wide comes at the expense of going through the middle and meant Two of our best players ,Dools and Erskine were left constantly isolated. This is a return to our first couple of seasons when it was endless ineffective punts from far out on the wing punted to an isolated striker ..Barton is the main culprit in many of the issues he stated.There was loads of times he could have simply rolled the ball to Erskine in front of him and decided to hit the hollywood long ball out to our ineffective wide men or was just too slow and got caught on the ball.His chasing back and picking up men was near non existent.The big worry for me is that after the Motherwell game he changed virtually nothing in our set up or formation.Teams know exactly how we will play and set up.If Archie is to survive he must re think everything and be much braver in his actions now. If he starts Barton in the midfield then the shoogly peg might fall of the wall.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

Agree with a lot of what Angry Gaz said in the last post.

What is patently obvious is that our(virtually) third choice full backs cannot play the traditional game we have played; neither is strong or quick enough to get up and down like the regulars out injured. It is also obvious how weak we are in midfield without a fit Bannigan or Osman, or, dare I say, Welsh. We need somebody who can just win the ball and give it to a more creative player.

Barton, with the current people around him, just cannot cut a midfield role. Whatever he thinks about his best position on evidence it is somewhere at the back moving forward. But please don't ask him to win balls, make passes and run back to cover. He has not got all of these skills. Usually he passes the ball out of defence very well because he has a little more time. We desperately need a fit Banzo and I have no doubt, having seen him quite a lot in first team action as well as in the Development team, young McCarthy. Surely, Archie, this youngster is ready. Other teams seem to be trusting youth, notably Motherwell, why not us?

I thought that Erskine was as bad on Saturday as I have seen him and it made me think that he wasn't fit and might not have been on had Lawless not gone down ill. And he was hampered further by Killie marking him very closely - he had been identified as our danger man!

All of this is basic stuff and I am convinced we would improve dramatically if we played through the middle and utilised our manpower differently.

Lot of sense in above post. Definitely missing any two from Welsh, Osman and Bannigan (pre injury). Barton doesn't anger me as much as he does with many other fans but he's symptomatic of the slow deliberate build up play. He always attempts to play in others, which is admirable, but he needs to get forward more himself and be more box to box. I thought his booking was harsh (if it wasn't then Clancy was anything but consistent) and from that moment on he looked like he was a spent force defensively. I'd like to say he handled that early yellow well but think either he should've got pushed forward or subbed earlier.

True Erskine had a bad game but he might well have caused more bother if we could've got the ball to him quicker. Back to that slow build up play, a major factor in the defeat.

We had been playing reasonably well without getting that all important win. We are now used to losing and any time we lead, we panic.

I think the problem reared its ugly head at half time in the Hearts game. We had been playing ok in the 1st half but then collapsed as we got closer to the line and could have lost all 3 points.

If we had managed to hold on to victory in any of the earlier games esp vs Sevco we would be in a much more relaxed frame of mind.

From Saturday we need our stars of last season to start performing. Lawless (if fit) should be given a start. Stevie has produced moments of magic over the years in vital matches. He perhaps feels hard done to this season with little game time. So now is the time for him in our hour of need. Doolan should be told he is the main man.

I missed Saturday's game but it sounds like the midfield were dominated again and Barton was at his laziest. He had some great games at CB last season so leave out Devine or Keown(whoever was worse on Saturday). I dont think the full backs are any good going forward so play a back 4 and ask them to defend properly.

Spittal and/or Erskine could play wider to compensate for lack of overlapping(is that word now obsolete?). Dools needs a supply to feet in the box.

Lets hope Bannigan and Osman return soon because I have no ideas on the midfield apart from removing Barton right away. McCarthy deserves a wee run and we need Edwards' energy.

I was hoping Christie and Booth would have provided some support to the front men but without these 2 we need to make best use of what we have. 4.5.1 or 4.4.1.1 formation please and some radical thinking by our management team.

I think there must be a story with Turnbull being dropped on Saturday. Something happened maybe after Motherwell game in dressing room and during the break? Banzo, Nisbet, Lawless too. All injured or unavailable? What does that mean?

Maybe paranoia creeping in but something looked wrong with the body language of our team on Saturday, something is amiss.

• Like 3

We had been playing reasonably well without getting that all important win. We are now used to losing and any time we lead, we panic.

I think the problem reared its ugly head at half time in the Hearts game. We had been playing ok in the 1st half but then collapsed as we got closer to the line and could have lost all 3 points.

If we had managed to hold on to victory in any of the earlier games esp vs Sevco we would be in a much more relaxed frame of mind.

From Saturday we need our stars of last season to start performing. Lawless (if fit) should be given a start. Stevie has produced moments of magic over the years in vital matches. He perhaps feels hard done to this season with little game time. So now is the time for him in our hour of need. Doolan should be told he is the main man.

I missed Saturday's game but it sounds like the midfield were dominated again and Barton was at his laziest. He had some great games at CB last season so leave out Devine or Keown(whoever was worse on Saturday). I dont think the full backs are any good going forward so play a back 4 and ask them to defend properly.

Spittal and/or Erskine could play wider to compensate for lack of overlapping(is that word now obsolete?). Dools needs a supply to feet in the box.

Lets hope Bannigan and Osman return soon because I have no ideas on the midfield apart from removing Barton right away. McCarthy deserves a wee run and we need Edwards' energy.

I was hoping Christie and Booth would have provided some support to the front men but without these 2 we need to make best use of what we have. 4.5.1 or 4.4.1.1 formation please and some radical thinking by our management team.

I think you are right about the pressure building by not getting the results but also by being on the wrong end of a few significant decisions(penalty incident vs Celtic, Erskines sending off and the Hearts goal). It's not all just about holding on.

I think there must be a story with Turnbull being dropped on Saturday. Something happened maybe after Motherwell game in dressing room and during the break? Banzo, Nisbet, Lawless too. All injured or unavailable? What does that mean?

Maybe paranoia creeping in but something looked wrong with the body language of our team on Saturday, something is amiss.

Bannigan watched the full 90 mins from the Jackie Husband stand. He looked just as gutted as the rest of us did.

These stories always tend to surface when we're on a losing streak. Archie went to a back 4 on Saturday so one of the centre halves had to miss out, looks like it was Turnbull.

Just find it odd Turnbull was the one dropped when he's probably been our best player this season. Devine outpaced by Boyd was laughable and Keown has been a bombscare recently his distribution is awful and was it's anybody's guess what he was doing for the 1st goal. I'm not sure what's happened with Barton and Keown this season it's very puzzling.

It's all very unsettling I'd say what's happening, there is a story there. I'd have been happy for Archie to stay even if we do go down, but the manner in how it's happening I can't see him lasting the month out unless we win the next 2 games sadly.

• Like 1

Potty Trained are you really Archie trying to get fans to pick the team. :D

No.

I just find it ridiculous that you criticise him for playing Storet out of position, when we are in the middle of an injury crisis.

When asked who you'd play there instead. You cant provide a single name.

And when Norge provides an alternarive, it's to play Edwards out of position on the right in a role he's probably never played! And that's with the hindsight that edwards was the only one in the team who wasn't playing tippy tappy 10 yard passes and actually trying to find our full backs who were hugging the touchline.

I'm all for constructive criticism. But saying stuff for the sake of it with nothing to back it up is just silly.