Line Up V Dungdee

Paukea

Ok - it is usually right after a dodgy decision. When the chant was made I hadn't seen a bad decision. It just appeared that it was after Dundee had gone through the defense

I suspect that you were at the southerly end of the JHS. The handball was very clear from the North Stand as the Dundee player was facing us as he batted the ball down with his hand (a bit like a tennis player preparing to serve) to take possession and start the attack. However, his body may have obscured this from your vantage point. So perhaps the referee had some excuse, but if the JHS side linesman had been up with play, he should surely have seen this, failing which the other linesman, the fourth official, Derek Ferguson (on BBC commentary), Neil Doncaster, Nicola Sturgeon or Teresa May should have done something about it!

• Like 2

If any actual Thistle supporter wants Thistle to fail then they aren't true fans. I vent my frustrations and concerns about Thistle because I care abut them. We all have different opinions on how success can be achieved and Wether we put them over on here in a way that other posters disagree with makes the forum the beauty that it is. And so as I don't disappoint some on her, in my opinion, the jury is still out on Archie.

If the jury's still out on the longest serving manager in the league, it's about time they came back in.

• Like 3

For a game that had two teams who were relatively shite. It had everything and was quite entertaining in parts. Well, in an end to end, last ditch, wild tackling, ridiculous misses sort of entertainment.

Word on the street was we were going 4 at the back with Turnbull returning. It turned out to be a return to the back 5 set up with Lawless as wing back. Well, in a not crossing the half way line, man marking the winger, staying in line with your centre half's, wing back role.

The fact we won you could say it worked, but man on man, I don't think Lawless actually won the ball off his man once and was skinned quite a few times. But I take my hat off to him. He stuck rigidly to the task. His head never went down. His only attacking involvement I can remember resulted in the winner.

Inside him, Turnbull is a cracking centre half and should be a first pick. Keown isn't repeating last season's form and looks lost at times. In a back 5 Devine is a cool calm collected leader.

Outside them McGinn had a poor game, but such was the complete shambles of formation in front of him he was covering the whole right flank. His delivery was bloody stinking at times though.

In the midfield we added McCarthy, but it didn't really improve things. He seemed unfit, the game passed him by and at times it felt like he was actually just literally shadowing Barton or Edwards. When either lost possession, he was nowhere near the first pass as he was still standing about 2 yards behind Barton or Edwards. I asked early in the first half, how early can you sub a young lad without denting his confidence. The change wasn't too far away.

At times our midfield seemed missing. Barton was dropping deep into a 6. Edwards supporting Erskime and Sammon meant there was a bloody great hole in the middle of the park for their centre half's to charge into. And keep going and going.

Erskine was trying way too hard. Maybe he got a fckin roasting off Archie after Saturday. But if you try the same flick over and over and it's still not working you need to try something else.

Up top Sammon was a handful. Won his fair share of long balls and the ones he lost, he did enough to make sure the defenders header wasn't an easy clean one. But he was totally isolated and had no support at all.

Introducing Spittal allowed us to start winning second balls and get the game played in their half. Along with the introduction of Doolan and Storey it changed the game for us.

As wins go, I'll bloody take that. It wasn't pretty but it was needed and gives is something to build on.

Lastly. What can be said about Tam Cerny that hasn't been said before. The guy is a hero.

It's funny how we can see a game differently. I watched on tele and know how different that can seem from being at the ground.

I was convinced we played a rather poorly executed 4 1 4 1 and that would have made sense to me with the players we had on the park.

Everyone else sees it as 3 5 1 1 (I think)??

Agree with player ratings but I gave Lawless some slack as I felt he'd been abandoned. It now seems he was supposed to be stuck on the left on his own.

I really hope we never play that formation again as it allows certain players in the middle to hide and you end up with 6 defenders and an isolated attack.

Every centre back wants to be a sweeper and will pull others in to mark the men they should be marking.

Give each player a role and make him accountable for it. No passing the buck.

2 simple rules at the back; full backs should never drop deeper than centre backs and centre backs should avoid pulling full backs in to do their job for them.

That's that sorted :D

I thought Sammon was poor - he gave the Dundee back-line little to think about. This totally changed when Storey came on. Not everything came off for him but he stretched the Dundee defense and that opened up space for others.

Think Storey could be a big player for us this year when he finds form. That goal will do his confidence and lot of good.

I thought Sammon was poor - he gave the Dundee back-line little to think about. This totally changed when Storey came on. Not everything came off for him but he stretched the Dundee defense and that opened up space for others.

Think Storey could be a big player for us this year when he finds form. That goal will do his confidence and lot of good.

It maybe,though, that Storey will be more effective as a sub, when the opposition are tiring a bit ?

The chant was at the ref,no doubt.As has already been said it happened after Dundee got the ball after one of there players controlled it with his hand and they nearly scored from it. I know there was booing at the Kilmarnock game, but I think our management have been treated with respect by our fans,despite the run we have been on. Most of our fans know what they have done as both players and now as our management. But as Scott Paterson said after the game they are not naĂ¯ve enough to think they have a job for life.

The guys on Sportscene analysed proceeds well, especially the winner.

Hendry and the other Dundee Defenders had been working hard getting up the pitch most of the game. He was too slow getting out to play Doolan offside which gave Dools space to deliver an inch perfect cross as there was no way anyone could get back to him.

If ever there was a case of fresh legs against a tiring defence that was it. In recent weeks I've been saying 'Archie, for Gods sake do something'. Well he certainly did on Saturday.

I thought at the time that Storey had a stinker but he certainly didn't lack effort and ran them ragged along with his co-subs.

I felt sorry for Lawless who put his heart and soul into the game while struggling all day with their young wing back. Stevie provided a few magical touches but let's face it, he's a liability in defence. Please play him up the park, Archie. McGinn was no better at RB than LB so perhaps he should revert. I thought Erskine had his worst game ever. Perhaps Lawless should take his position tomorrow night.

The guys on Sportscene analysed proceeds well, especially the winner.

Hendry and the other Dundee Defenders had been working hard getting up the pitch most of the game. He was too slow getting out to play Doolan offside which gave Dools space to deliver an inch perfect cross as there was no way anyone could get back to him.

If ever there was a case of fresh legs against a tiring defence that was it. In recent weeks I've been saying 'Archie, for Gods sake do something'. Well he certainly did on Saturday.

I thought at the time that Storey had a stinker but he certainly didn't lack effort and ran them ragged along with his co-subs.

I felt sorry for Lawless who put his heart and soul into the game while struggling all day with their young wing back. Stevie provided a few magical touches but let's face it, he's a liability in defence. Please play him up the park, Archie. McGinn was no better at RB than LB so perhaps he should revert. I thought Erskine had his worst game ever. Perhaps Lawless should take his position tomorrow night.

I think Erskine was captain one game earlier in the season and he was poor that game too - trying too much maybe ?

Lawless had an excellent touch out to Barton in the build up to the winner. Great shift from him in a position he obviously doesn't like or feel comfortable in.

The touch inside to Turnbull?

As my dad pointed out. Look at the wee nudge on the Dundee player's back, before he brings it down. Perfectly timed to put the guy off balance and give himself space to bring the ball out the air.

If we played as if we had six defenders why did it feel they broke forward outnumbering us on about six occasions?

Would need to watch it again, but could be down to the gap caused across the middle of the park when we attack and the move breaks down.

As an example, McGinn has ran just past the half way line and put a diagonal cross in to the middle towards Sammon and his supporting attack.

Defenders easily win the header and play it beyond 4 of our players. Dundee then break and run at our 5 / 6 defenders, who are on the back foot.

By this time, Barton has pretended to be marking the nearest man to him, instead of running after his actual man, McGinn is struggling to get back following his poor cross, Sammon, Erskine and McCarthy are up front while they are bearing down on us.

In the meantime, Lawless is wondering what he has done to deserve all this as he scurries back having watched another defenders cross from a terrible position.

At this point, Turnbull, Devine and Keown are trying to work out who's turn it is to run out and hack down the onrushing players.

Possible slight exaggeration :D but this can be overcome by 4 1 4 1, where Booth / Turnbull, stay wide and pass to proper wingers who will take men on and cross the ball from further forward.

If the two centre backs really can't mark one man between them, they should drop Barton in to help when needed.

I also think it would make Booth look far better, as I'm sure he looks the type that can hold position, tackle and pass the ball to a wide man. There aren't many players in the world that can run a whole wing to themselves, although Duncan Ferguson probably did. :)

• Like 2

It's funny how we can see a game differently. I watched on tele and know how different that can seem from being at the ground. I was convinced we played a rather poorly executed 4 1 4 1 and that would have made sense to me with the players we had on the park. Everyone else sees it as 3 5 1 1 (I think)?? Agree with player ratings but I gave Lawless some slack as I felt he'd been abandoned. It now seems he was supposed to be stuck on the left on his own. I really hope we never play that formation again as it allows certain players in the middle to hide and you end up with 6 defenders and an isolated attack. Every centre back wants to be a sweeper and will pull others in to mark the men they should be marking. Give each player a role and make him accountable for it. No passing the buck. 2 simple rules at the back; full backs should never drop deeper than centre backs and centre backs should avoid pulling full backs in to do their job for them. That's that sorted :D

We started with 4 at the back but Turnbull at left back couldn't handle the Dundee winger so we moved to 3 at the back with Turnbull moved to LCB and McGinn and Lawless wingbacks. Lawless has done this before - sometimes he's been fine at other times it hasn't worked but he did OK and keeping him on kept one of our more skillful players on the park. Though I guess Nitrianksky can't be rated as more than an emergency player now or he'd have been brought on. That, the good result not withstanding, is a little worrying. Could Archie play himself?

We started with 4 at the back but Turnbull at left back couldn't handle the Dundee winger so we moved to 3 at the back with Turnbull moved to LCB and McGinn and Lawless wingbacks. Lawless has done this before - sometimes he's been fine at other times it hasn't worked but he did OK and keeping him on kept one of our more skillful players on the park. Though I guess Nitrianksky can't be rated as more than an emergency player now or he'd have been brought on. That, the good result not withstanding, is a little worrying. Could Archie play himself?

Thanks MB, does seem plausible.

A shame about Nitriansky, as I thought he looked quite the player in his first game.

the skill of Lawless + the vision of Turnbull + the precision of Doolan + the instinct of Storey + what it meant = the goal of the season.

Calling it.

^_^

I've now watched the goal more than 30 times. Everything about it is great.

I really thought Doolan had under hit the pass when I first seen it but it really was precision :happy2: :happy2:

I've now watched the goal more than 30 times. Everything about it is great. I really thought Doolan had under hit the pass when I first seen it but it really was precision :happy2: :happy2:

You have to go back one further stage to appreciate the intelligence and artfulness behind this goal. Miles Storey appears to kick the ball aimlessly up the left wing and sets out in fruitless pursuit. Jack Hendry easily stays ahead in the foot race but is drawn back towards his own goal line. Tired out by having to run so fast late in the game he is slow to get back forward and by the time he does Doolan is arrowing behind him to meet Turnbull's perfectly weighted pass and Storey now materialises in the centre of the 6 yard box to slot home. The gift of prophecy!

Thanks MB, does seem plausible. A shame about Nitriansky, as I thought he looked quite the player in his first game.

I was just expressing a worry. Hopefully he was left out because he had a knock and was only on the bench as emergency cover - or else it was tactical wanting to keep Lawless and his skill on the park. I hope at least NItriansky is a solid defender at least even if not much cop going forward which I suspect may be the case. Anyway we desperately need Booth back soon.... wait a bit, I just googled this and got an article dated Aug 25 which said he'd be out for 3 months. That would suggest end of November he could be back. Better than some of the others but still worrying as we have some tough games in November. Any chance of recalling Penrice?