World Cup Build-Up...

Jaggernaut

Sorry a lot of the tartan army are an embarrassment away from home, putting a kilt on doesn’t allow you to bare your arse in public during the day with kids and women around or piss anywhere you want, that and the comparing points clique at every game are cringeworthy, whilst they may not fight or cause trouble the have zero respect for the locals or part time fans

I agree slightly but it depends on your outlook.

If you are referring to the TAMB forum, then there are some elite members there that act the goat at times.

I also don't agree with pissing in front of the public and especially hate it when some idiots start booting a ball up in the air in town square or wherever.

Generally speaking though, most Scotland fans are there to enjoy the whole trip and to mix with the locals.

One or two but not many, might get out of order after too many beers but I don't recall a nasty atmosphere at any time.

Wearing the kilt is a bit of fun and isn't done to offend people.

Wow, no Italy!

Any other surprises so far?

Who will folk be supporting?

I'll be supporting Japan!

Peru..just because, as a kid, seeing how great a player Teofilio Cubillas was. Loved Hector Chumpitaz too. (Not so much in '78 though)

Was that 1970 World Cup the greatest ever?

So many great players...and great matches too.

I think if anyone named their top-25 players of all time, there's a pretty good chance that at least 10 of them played in the 1970 World Cup.

• Like 1

Peru..just because, as a kid, seeing how great a player Teofilio Cubillas was. Loved Hector Chumpitaz too. (Not so much in '78 though)

I think if anyone named their top-25 players of all time, there's a pretty good chance that at least 10 of them played in the 1970 World Cup.

That world cup ruined it for me. As a youngster I thought all football was like this (I hadn't been to Firhill yet).

A long slippery slope ever since (except a certain match at Hampden roundabout 1971).

The Brazilian dream team. Won every qualifying game ,won every game in the finals and jairzinho scored in every game in mexico.

When you witness something special, the names always stick in your memory. Jairzinho, Tostao, Pele, Gerson and Rivellino , a truly magic forward line.

• Like 2

USA talking about having a tournament for countries that didn't qualify for world cup finals next year.Wonder if Scotland would be invited if this goes ahead.

That really is a fantastic idea and I'm surprised no one has thought of it before.

Would be quite exciting and would take the sting out of not qualifying for the WC.

That really is a fantastic idea and I'm surprised no one has thought of it before.

Would be quite exciting and would take the sting out of not qualifying for the WC.

Aach gie the man a break - he's probably been asleep it's been that moribund round here this last fortnight, and who can blame him.

There isn't even a match thread for Sunday, and my attempt to find the source of the Sylvia run-out music died a death when TJR got knackered man.

It'll pick up in a couple of weeks time.................just in time for jingle bells.

• Like 1

Aach gie the man a break - he's probably been asleep it's been that moribund round here this last fortnight, and who can blame him.

There isn't even a match thread for Sunday, and my attempt to find the source of the Sylvia run-out music died a death when TJR got knackered man.

It'll pick up in a couple of weeks time.................just in time for jingle bells.

I'm sure the joke may be on me here but I was being deadly serious.

I'd take a 'consolation' World Cup versus a couple of friendlies, any day.

Given that more teams fail to qualify for the World Cup than those who do make it, there would probably need to be qualifying rounds for the Losers competition..... and we would fail to qualify.

What then?

Just do something like they do in the Champions League where the 3rd placed team go to the Europa league.

Yes, we could still miss out no doubt.

• 2 months later...

Back in the day managing your country was the pinnacle of any managing career - nowadays ÂŁ750k is chicken feed and unlikely to tempt top candidates as they'd get more than that per month in top leagues - might as well give it to the Archie's (that goal against Holland in '78 argentina) boy as he's had the 17's and 21's can't really do any worse than Levein

• Like 1

Back in the day managing your country was the pinnacle of any managing career - nowadays ÂŁ750k is chicken feed and unlikely to tempt top candidates as they'd get more than that per month in top leagues - might as well give it to the Archie's (that goal against Holland in '78 argentina) boy as he's had the 17's and 21's can't really do any worse than Levein

Not disagreeing re the differential in salary between top club and international management. Nevertheless being Scotland manager does have its selling points. Firstly it's effectively a part time position in so much as you could still earn money from another regular source. I'm not too sure if being Scotland boss precludes punditry and media work but there's plenty other sources of income. Secondly (most sadly) the expectations thrust upon a Scotland manager will be lower than at most clubs. You come in, do an OK or even sub standard job, resign or get sacked and move on blaming the standard of players (or genes) as you go.

In theory an international manager really just requires to be a coach. You don't have to buy and sell players, negotiate contracts etc. Being media savvy and a tad articulate will certainly help but the SFA could/should be able to provide some sort of figurehead fella to handle that. Wee Craigie Brown is never off the telly/radio and as long as he stayed away from the actual team management/coaching would be ideal. So instead of looking at mediocre managers, who would never in the first place even have been half successful without a healthy chequebook, we should be looking at decent coaches.

• Like 1

IIRC Tommy Docherty thought it was an easy job. No transfer fees or negotiations; just pick the players and take a few coaching sessions and that's it. Things have probably moved on since then, but in principle there's a range of players and the Scotland manager can decided to go and watch any number of games at different grounds and get paid for it.

Regan was a chief exec on the cheap - think he came in from the sparsely supported and low paid world of cricket iirc - he was a management automaton and a blazer nothing more - there are plenty more blazers doddering about at headquarters so they'll be on the lookout for another cheapo generic manager who'll lick their baws and not upset the twa cheeks status quo