Tynecastle Statement

gianlucatoni

Couldn't see any comments on the club's statement on the day of the Hearts game.

Personally it was ill-judged, poorly timed (on the afternoon of the match), ambiguous, undermined the manager's previous press statement and not representative of anyone I spoke to.

Thoughts?

Sunday 19th November, 2017 at 1:05pm

While Partick Thistle Football Club is pleased that today’s Ladbrokes Premiership match against Hearts will go ahead, we remain deeply unhappy that the decision was left so late in the day. It is unacceptable that there was uncertainty about whether a top flight game would go ahead less than 18 hour before kick-off.#

It is not right to treat players, staff and, most importantly, the supporters of both clubs in this way. It is a situation that never should have been allowed to develop – and it must not happen to any club in future.

On Monday, we will be asking the SPFL for an extensive review into the circumstances that allowed this situation to arise. Specifically, we will be asking why it was allowed to continue to such a late stage, damaging Scottish football at a time when we are all working hard to attract new fans.

As a club, we would like to apologise to our own fans for the late notice on the decision and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Tom English, who I have a lot of time for, slaughtered the Club Statement on BBC Sportsound on Monday Night - "it was on the club website on Saturday Night that the game was on...their fans are only coming from Glasgow...what's the problem?".

He clearly hadn't read the item on the website which stated that Thistle fans couldn't buy a ticket on Sunday. I suspect quite a number of Thistle fans who might have gone to the game either decided not to go because of the uncertainty about it going ahead or didn't go because they couldn't get a ticket. I'm sure the figure for the Thistle support on Sunday was given at about 460 - I don't know if anyone has "official" figures, but I thought we usually took about 800-1000 to Tynecastle and Easter Road.

I think the Club had a genuine grievance - as Archie said, we did Hearts a favour by switching the previous game to Firhill and the-game-might-be-on shambles would not have happened if the Old Firm or Hibs had been involved. However, if the Club can not put forward it's case, we end up getting brushed off as a Diddy Club. There were uncomfortable echoes of the Second Vote Fiasco in 2004 when the Stadium Capacity rules were bent so we could be relegated

• Like 2

I don't find the statement particularly poor but can't understand the reference to 18 hrs when confirmation was in fact around 5 hrs before kick off. I don't tho' think it was necessary and the timing was wrong. Archie's comments to media were fine as it was.

A comment on the website early this week would've sufficed. Something along the lines of not thinking it correct our supporters and playing staff were subjected to such a late decision. We've contacted the SPFL to say as much.

The Club had to say something or they would get slaughtered by us supporters for showing indifference. They just should've kept it simple and left the sound bites to Archie.

• Like 1

Naturally this will be swept under the carpet - all the pre-match uncertainty white-washed into a last minute triumph and wee annie fudge dressed as CoCo the clown (or Annie the Maroon Goon) can accept all the plaudits the press think she wants to hear.

If they are proud of their achievement then so-be-it and they got a good home point as a reward.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived at work a bit earlier than usual this morning and met the man who cleans the stairs in the building where my office is situated. He looked scarily like Craig Levein. Indeed I think it might have been Craig Levein. Should I be worried?

PS He appeared to be deploying a sweeper system.

was he refused entry to the building to clean? no stairway? denied?