Hamilton

eljaggo

Read the Barton article a couple of times. Lot of truth in what he says, but I’m not sure saying it in a newspaper is the way to go. But maybe it needed said? Maybe there’s been stuff going on we don’t know? On the whole I’m a Barton fan. On his day he can move the ball well and quickly, but for me doesn’t have the outlet just now with no real wing backs. My guess is this interview is a “want away in the transfer window” kind of statement. Hope I’m wrong and we win 3-0 today.

• Like 1

Read the Barton article a couple of times. Lot of truth in what he says, but I’m not sure saying it in a newspaper is the way to go. But maybe it needed said? Maybe there’s been stuff going on we don’t know? On the whole I’m a Barton fan. On his day he can move the ball well and quickly, but for me doesn’t have the outlet just now with no real wing backs. My guess is this interview is a “want away in the transfer window” kind of statement. Hope I’m wrong and we win 3-0 today.

I don't think I've ever seen Barton move the ball quickly. His main problem is he wants too much time and is the biggest culprit for losing possession cheaply. Something which Sean Welsh, quite rightly, was slaughtered for.

I think he forgets part of his job in midfield is to get the ball back as well as retain possession. Neither of which he has done so far this season so maybe he should concentrate on his own game instead of passing the buck.

Andy McCarthy in for me please.

Didn’t like Barton’s interview to be honest. Makes him look a bit big time and doesn’t sound like a very harmonious squad right now, but he is right about some things. Our defence has been honking, with far too many individual errors

Barton's interview will have been sanctioned by the Club. In fact he may well be effectively a mouthpiece. He has a point re distribution when he struggles to find an outlet. I've put that down to lack of movement on the flanks due to playing without width. I wouldn't have thought it was a case of others "hiding" but it amounts to the same thing. That's at least something Barton can't be accused of and perhaps the player we really have missed is Sean Welsh, a player who even his detractors admit never hid.

Barton's interview will have been sanctioned by the Club. In fact he may well be effectively a mouthpiece. He has a point re distribution when he struggles to find an outlet. I've put that down to lack of movement on the flanks due to playing without width. I wouldn't have thought it was a case of others "hiding" but it amounts to the same thing. That's at least something Barton can't be accused of and perhaps the player we really have missed is Sean Welsh, a player who even his detractors admit never hid.

I agree with you about the lack of options when Barton has the ball but the problem many fans have is his complete can't be arsed attitude when he does lose the ball. How many times this season has he just stopped when the balls taken off him? We can't afford a player like that when times are tough at the bottom.

He seems happy to have the ball but doesn't seem to appreciate its also his job to get it back if he loses it.

Edited by kennymac29

Just read his interview.

-He seemed to almost concede the Celtic game before it had been played (3 points were available, the same as vs Hamilton).

-He talks about fatigue, like the team look like they're putting in a lot of effort. They don't play at a high tempo or press so there's no excuse for 'fatigue'.

Barton is woeful. He lets his man go every time the other team make a move. Watch the first clip on the BBC highlights vs Celtic. He's a liability.

This is possibly the most important game we'be played since our last really important game! Seriously, it's win or bust for me, no ifs, no buts, no maybes.

Our display against Celtic if not pleasing at least represented a vast improvement from the complete horror show at Dens. The players know the importance of today's game: so the only excuse for a defeat today will be that that they simply aren't good enough.

• Like 1

It's incredible the power journalists have in influencing readers opinion. Both the sun and evening times use exactly the same quotes from Barton, but the articles read completely differently.

Having read both articles, I'm more concerned about why McGarry is writing a hatchet job, considering he's our local press go to guy.

• Like 1

great result and a clean sheet against a relegation rival. now do we stick with that back 3 or drop barton with JT coming in or the other way about? it doesn’t really matter who or what we play vs Aberdeen as we will still lose but County is the big game. Woods probably won’t be fit to play vs Aberdeen so I would assume Barton would be moved into the middle.

Edited by jags on tour

That was an ugly, scrappy game, and we rode our luck on more than one occasion, but we're off the bottom of the table! I thought Barton was excellent in the middle of the back three, and Lawless deserves credit for the job he's doing in an unfamiliar position. Doolan also held the ball up well in the first half and won a fair number of headers against a defence not lacking in height. Yes, there were times where our midfield went AWOL, and as usual we dropped too deep too early, but in the absence of so many first team players, particularly in the full-back positions, a win's a win's a win.

Have a great festive break, folks.

• Like 1

Barton had a good game - he was very positive, making some good interceptions, and was clearly more at home in the centre of the defence. Archie in the BBC interview after the game said that he had been forced to play Barton up until today in midfield because of injuries, so with Bannigan, Dumbaya and Osman returning after the break, the team should be better balanced. The whole team was much more aggressive and harried Hamilton fairly high in the pitch throughout the game, but there were still some bombscare moments in defence. A well deserved three points.

Will take the three points but the standard of play from both side's was piss poor. Hopefully that was partly down to the weather but our best spell in the first half was when we finally started playing the ball on the deck.

Credit to cerny, Mcginn and lawless for the clean sheet as all defended well. Our midfield was totally bypassed in the second half, however it was pleasing to hold on for once. I just wish we pressed the opposition higher up and stopped backing off.

Would love to know what storey said to sarris to make him totally lose it at the end.

• Like 1

The attendance today was around 2900 of which 350 were Hamilton fans. To muster only around 2500 fans for such a key game is very disappointing, but maybe it's partly down to Christmas, and so maybe a couple of wins will see an improvement after the break.

Edited by eljaggo

Great 3 points today, the result of all the players working hard and holding on gamely at the end. Thought Tam and the back 5 were superb with Barton and Lawless outstanding. Dools and Erskine looked good upfront in the first half and Woods looks to be a smashing signing.

Well done Archie, Shaggy and the players, no more chat about getting rid of Archie please. Let's get behind him and the players for the rest of the season. OTIG.

• Like 2