New Arrivals

Paukea

With 3 days until the window opens will we invest in New players or Gamble on our injured players returning.

Should we release any players in January.

For what it's worth I think relying on injured players is a massive gamble and for me it's time to say goodbye and good luck to Fraser and Dumbaya...I would give Bannigan until the end of season and if no improvement then move him on also.

Injury prone players are killing us and that's the unfortunate truth

If we are counting on players coming back from injury exclusively, we are doomed to relegation. Muzzy hasn't kicked a ball consistently in almost two years, and myself along with many others were calling on Osman to be dropped last season due to his significant drop in form. These guys will not save our season.

Archibald's summer was an unmitigated disaster. Two extra months of preparation wasted by bringing in players who weren't as good as the ones we lost. The loss of Welsh and Lindsay most obviously felt. Unfit and half injured players were brought in to replace the already crocked ones, and the fact that Nitriansky can't even get a game with the worst defense in the division tells us all we have to know about that addition.

Like we did with guys like Mark Kerr, John Baird, and Ziggy Gordon, I think Milan will be moved on next month. I also think Fraser will be released. Archie will need to sign at least 3 players I think. A Lee Mair like defender who brings some experience to steady the ship even just for 6 months would be welcome, along with another full-back, and a creative midfielder. Fingers crossed.

If we are counting on players coming back from injury exclusively, we are doomed to relegation. Muzzy hasn't kicked a ball consistently in almost two years, and myself along with many others were calling on Osman to be dropped last season due to his significant drop in form. These guys will not save our season.

Archibald's summer was an unmitigated disaster. Two extra months of preparation wasted by bringing in players who weren't as good as the ones we lost. The loss of Welsh and Lindsay most obviously felt. Unfit and half injured players were brought in to replace the already crocked ones, and the fact that Nitriansky can't even get a game with the worst defense in the division tells us all we have to know about that addition.

Like we did with guys like Mark Kerr, John Baird, and Ziggy Gordon, I think Milan will be moved on next month. I also think Fraser will be released. Archie will need to sign at least 3 players I think. A Lee Mair like defender who brings some experience to steady the ship even just for 6 months would be welcome, along with another full-back, and a creative midfielder. Fingers crossed.

in my opinion Spittal is a better player than Amoo. He’s also a few years younger than Amoo which means he will likely get even better Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

We'll definitely bring in some new faces; Archie has been clear about that. Our system requires attacking full-backs, so that remains a priority in my opinion, even though McGinn has done a decent job on the right. We either bring in a new left-back or put our faith in a recalled Penrice. We could also do with a metronomic midfielder, a la Sean Welsh, but they are a rare commodity. Nitrianski will be released, but I can see Fraser being given another sort-term contract.

We'll definitely bring in some new faces; Archie has been clear about that. Our system requires attacking full-backs, so that remains a priority in my opinion, even though McGinn has done a decent job on the right. We either bring in a new left-back or put our faith in a recalled Penrice. We could also do with a metronomic midfielder, a la Sean Welsh, but they are a rare commodity. Nitrianski will be released, but I can see Fraser being given another sort-term contract.

I would guess that’s what Martin Woods is supposed to be. He’s looked better than Welsh did when I’ve seen him so far as well.

We need a centre back. It’s become obvious that Devine isn’t close to good enough, but Keown and Turnbull are both fine and Barton is obviously a very handy player in a back 3. We need someone with a good amount of experience though, no idea who that’d be though.

If we can get Osman back in and playing to his best, then that’ll be huge for us. When he plays well, Thistle play well.

The two guys we are apparently looking at are Craig Halkett (22, defender), and Shaun Byrne (24, midfielder).

according to Livi fans they are both highly rated and likely to sign new deals with them. If we are genuinely interested in signing them I would like to think even in the championship we would be a more attractive club than Livingston through being able to pay more and also having our own £6 million training facility on the horizon

I would guess that’s what Martin Woods is supposed to be. He’s looked better than Welsh did when I’ve seen him so far as well.

We need a centre back. It’s become obvious that Devine isn’t close to good enough, but Keown and Turnbull are both fine and Barton is obviously a very handy player in a back 3. We need someone with a good amount of experience though, no idea who that’d be though.

If we can get Osman back in and playing to his best, then that’ll be huge for us. When he plays well, Thistle play well.

realistically we could just as easily have Osman back for a couple of games and then injured again unfortunately

Clear the dead wood we are bottom of the division. (Archie cut them lose ) This thistle team need to be helped with fresh blood to complete for places on the park .

No more soft approach there time has come and gone - out the door - hard but that life. Forget about the players cumming back its a gamble why risk staying in this division on injured players .

The defence is a worry, but looks more solid with Barton and without Devine.

I'd like to see more creativity as that's where we really struggle. Adding Blair in the summer was great but other than him and Erskine, there is very little. Storey doesn't bring much to the table and Sammon hasn't done anything of note (unsurprisingly).

But of course, what players will be available in January? Journeymen pros who are freed by other clubs cos they can't cut it there?

It's probably the most crucial transfer window for the club and the manager.

according to Livi fans they are both highly rated and likely to sign new deals with them. If we are genuinely interested in signing them I would like to think even in the championship we would be a more attractive club than Livingston through being able to pay more and also having our own £6 million training facility on the horizon

Muirhead was highly rated in the 1st div, now championship. Archie has to get any additions in the window right.Team needs freshened up big time. Edited by mulguy jag

"The feedback at the moment from our medical department is that we are going to have three or four back for the first game of the year and maybe one more shortly thereafter which would mean we might not have to do anything. Having said that we do still have a few targets in mind should we need to do business.”

And there it is ladies and gentlemen; the most ridiculous thing Archibald has said all season. If this guy seriously thinks that we "might not have to do anything" in January irrespective of players coming back from injury, he is absolutely delusional. This squad is by far the most laborious, and weak in the entire division, and is in desperate need of strengthening. I have said it before, but returning players will not change our fortunes. Osman has been off the boil for a year, and brings bugger all to the attacking side of our game. And since Archie can't see past playing him and Barton together, we will be as equally uninspiring when Osman returns. Muzzy and Bannigan have barely kicked a ball in 2 years, and are both a stiff breeze away from ending back up on the physio table. No disrespect to them as they are talented footballers, but only an incompetent manager would pin their hopes on them. That leaves Booth and Elliot, who may tighten up the backline, but will not add to our goal tally.

Really, it is over to the board to decide what Archie has to spend. With the exception of Spittal, the manager absolutely mucked up his summer dealings. Turnbull is on a par with Muirhead and Balatoni, Sammon is just a slightly more mobile Paul Keegan, and Storey might be semi-decent, but does not offer significantly more than Azzez did. And as I have said before, Woods and McGinn are just the Championship personified.

"Should we have to do business" should simply be changed to "we have to do business." The deadwood need moved out, and at least 2 or 3 guys with some fight about them need to be brought in.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 2

"The feedback at the moment from our medical department is that we are going to have three or four back for the first game of the year and maybe one more shortly thereafter which would mean we might not have to do anything. Having said that we do still have a few targets in mind should we need to do business.”

And there it is ladies and gentlemen; the most ridiculous thing Archibald has said all season. If this guy seriously thinks that we "might not have to do anything" in January irrespective of players coming back from injury, he is absolutely delusional. This squad is by far the most laborious, and weak in the entire division, and is in desperate need of strengthening. I have said it before, but returning players will not change our fortunes. Osman has been off the boil for a year, and brings bugger all to the attacking side of our game. And since Archie can't see past playing him and Barton together, we will be as equally uninspiring when Osman returns. Muzzy and Bannigan have barely kicked a ball in 2 years, and are both a stiff breeze away from ending back up on the physio table. No disrespect to them as they are talented footballers, but only an incompetent manager would pin their hopes on them. That leaves Booth and Elliot, who may tighten up the backline, but will not add to our goal tally.

Really, it is over to the board to decide what Archie has to spend. With the exception of Spittal, the manager absolutely mucked up his summer dealings. Turnbull is on a par with Muirhead and Balatoni, Sammon is just a slightly more mobile Paul Keegan, and Storey might be semi-decent, but does not offer significantly more than Azzez did. And as I have said before, Woods and McGinn are just the Championship personified.

"Should we have to do business" should simply be changed to "we have to do business." The deadwood need moved out, and at least 2 or 3 guys with some fight about them need to be brought in.

I don’t get it. On the one hand you admit that the Board set the spending budget, who more than likely have said that he can only sign new players if the injured don’t recover, but condemn Archie for verbalising that ?

Have you forgotten how late we did our business in the summer. If we hadn’t managed to get the players we did, our squad would be much worse than it is. Apart from Lindsay, which of the players did we want to keep?

It isn’t easy getting players that want to come to Thistle, for whatever reason

I don’t get it. On the one hand you admit that the Board set the spending budget, who more than likely have said that he can only sign new players if the injured don’t recover, but condemn Archie for verbalising that ?

Have you forgotten how late we did our business in the summer. If we hadn’t managed to get the players we did, our squad would be much worse than it is. Apart from Lindsay, which of the players did we want to keep?

It isn’t easy getting players that want to come to Thistle, for whatever reason

I condemn Archie for quite frankly wasting the resources that he did have over the summer. Nobody is going to tell me that we couldn't have signed someone better than Nitriansky for equivalent value.

And the fact that business was done late is a major sticking point. Archie, Maxwell, and the board droned on for ages last season about how finishing in the top-6 would mean that business could be completed early, we would get first crack at free agents and transfer targets, as well as only having to bring in players that were equivalent or better in ability to the ones we already had. Instead, for whatever reason, targets continually slipped through our hands to such a point that we had to bring in guys like Woods and McGinn a quarter way through the season when they weren't even fully fit.

I don't blame Archie for losing guys like Welsh and Lindsay, as that was outwith his control. What I do blame him for is that in the case of Welsh, he wasn't replaced, and in the case of Lindsay, he was replaced by a far inferior player. In addition to that, I don't understand why the management staff who could quite clearly see that Devine wasn't ready for consistent first team action last season, would suddenly be ready to be thrust into the rearguard this season. Now my opinion is completely fallible, subjective, and open to criticism. But in my opinion, a lack of foresight last season has lead to the situation we are in. We knew Banzo and Muzzy were injury worries and could not be relied on. We knew our long term captain was leaving. We knew that arguably our best young defender since Hansen was moving on. We knew guys like Erskine were 1 year older, and unable to be as creative as he was in his mid-20's. Yet, I personally don't think the correct players were brought in to mitigate this problem.

• Like 1