New Arrivals

Paukea

Don't get the Gary Fraser contract extension at all. 12 appearances over the last 3 seasons and carrying another knock. I think the club has invested so much in Gary over the last 4 to 5 years that they are desperate to get a return. I believe when he came from Bolton he was one of highest paid players at the club when he was given the 3 year deal.. Maybe his new deal is basic plus appearance fees. Just hope it does t preclude us from getting some fresh midfielders in.

Maybe his new deal is basic plus appearance fees. Just hope it does t preclude us from getting some fresh midfielders in.

Maybe just an extension of his contract that's just finished and I'm sure that will not have been excessive. The early announcement suggests this is just formalising what was probably always on the cards. Even if Fraser had left I'm not too sure about the plural re midfielders. We've already got Bannigan, Barton, Woods, Osman, McCarthy and Edwards in central roles plus Gary.

This decision isn't primarily about sentimentality or loyalty, as some have suggested. It's a straightforward calculation: is there another midfielder out there, who can be brought in on the money that would be saved by releasing Fraser, who is actually better than him. Archie clearly doesn't believe there is, and I'm sure he and the team are scanning the market constantly. We have invested a fair amount in Gary, yes, but that's because he's clearly a talented player. Few in the squad possess his range of passing.

What's particularly pleasing about this decision, in my view, is that it indicates that Gary's most recent knock isn't serious, and that Archie and the medical team believe his fitness levels are such that he can make a significant contribution in the second half of the season. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

I'm quite pleased the the club are giving Gary Fraser until the end of the season to prove his worth. I was behind the goal at Tynecastle when his 25 yard thunderbolt exploded into the net to ensure that we wouldn't be relegated - it's one of my favourite Thistle goals ever. His performance when we beat Ross County 4-0 at Firhill the following season is probably the best individual display by a Thistle midfielder since we were promoted - a goal and raking defence-splitting passes for the three other goals.

However that was over 3 years ago. Since then his form between very lengthy injury absences has been poor although I understand he may have had some personal issues. He owes the club, supporters and in particular Alan Archibald...I hope he takes what will surely be his last chance to repay them.

Our midfield has been the major flaw this season - Barton is outstanding in defence but inept in midfield...I struggle to recall Edwards having any meaningful possession or winning tackles in most games and doubt he has had three assists in his time with Thistle....Woods looks a decent journeyman midfielder who has yet to last 90 minutes...McCarthy has promise but lacks experience...Osman's defensive capabilities have been missed but he is a fairly limited footballer...Bannigan is a class act but worryingly is not mentioned on Archie's list of players due back immediately after the winter break.

As Gnome on the Bing commented, there is a very limited prospect of signing a midfielder of Fraser's potential ability in the transfer window.

Not sure why we didnt go back to the pay as you play type deal that we had for Sid Donnelly. Assuming that was actually the case back in the day and that it is still legal?

For a squad player surely we need to put some sort of performance based incentive to those that are rarely available for selection for whatever reason.

You wouldn't extend his contract on the basis of what we as fans have seen over the past few seasons.

But I'm happy to accept that the people making the decision are better informed than we are, and therefore I'm also happy to see how it goes. Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

I’ve always liked the look of Liam Henderson at Celtic, he would just fit right into our team but I read recently about some seria b team in Italy looking at him, plus if he was going anywhere in Scotland it would probably be back to Hibs. For those that watch the Dev games in full as opposed to me watching the highlights, is Neil McGlaughlin likely to make an impact at this level? scored a ton of goals at that level but I suppose Nisbet has aswell and not broke into the team.

I’ve always liked the look of Liam Henderson at Celtic, he would just fit right into our team but I read recently about some seria b team in Italy looking at him, plus if he was going anywhere in Scotland it would probably be back to Hibs. For those that watch the Dev games in full as opposed to me watching the highlights, is Neil McGlaughlin likely to make an impact at this level? scored a ton of goals at that level but I suppose Nisbet has aswell and not broke into the team.

McLaughlin looks a natural finisher. Nisbet has other attributes like strength but will not convert chances to goals as effectively as Wee Neil. I've no idea whether McLaughlin will make it our level, I'd be surprised if any one at the Club will know anything like for sure. I do know Dools rates the lad highly and of all the front players I've seen over the years at U20/U19 level Neil has impressed me the most.

• Like 1

I'm quite pleased the the club are giving Gary Fraser until the end of the season to prove his worth. I was behind the goal at Tynecastle when his 25 yard thunderbolt exploded into the net to ensure that we wouldn't be relegated - it's one of my favourite Thistle goals ever. His performance when we beat Ross County 4-0 at Firhill the following season is probably the best individual display by a Thistle midfielder since we were promoted - a goal and raking defence-splitting passes for the three other goals. However that was over 3 years ago. Since then his form between very lengthy injury absences has been poor although I understand he may have had some personal issues. He owes the club, supporters and in particular Alan Archibald...I hope he takes what will surely be his last chance to repay them. Our midfield has been the major flaw this season - Barton is outstanding in defence but inept in midfield...I struggle to recall Edwards having any meaningful possession or winning tackles in most games and doubt he has had three assists in his time with Thistle....Woods looks a decent journeyman midfielder who has yet to last 90 minutes...McCarthy has promise but lacks experience...Osman's defensive capabilities have been missed but he is a fairly limited footballer...Bannigan is a class act but worryingly is not mentioned on Archie's list of players due back immediately after the winter break. As Gnome on the Bing commented, there is a very limited prospect of signing a midfielder of Fraser's potential ability in the transfer window.

Gary was also brilliant in the 4-0 away win against what was then a very strong Inverness side on a good run of form. However, I appreciate that this was still over 3 years ago.