Trivial

BowenBoys

I think Scotland played Brazil 2 or 3 times during the Pele years. Around 1966 at Hampden and again in early 70’s. Pele probably played in the first,

Was at that game and Pele played. Bremner clocked him early on and he played out the rest of the game hobbling on the wing. As the vast majority of the crowd was there to see Pele so every time Bremner touched the ball he was booed. My other memories of that night was of Baxter having a tremendous game and my last trip on a trolley bus out to Hampden from Cambridge St. Can't think of a Jags connection from that evening except Stevie Chalmers and Donnie McKinnon's brother, Ronnie, both played.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

What would be even more incredible would be having the majority of Thistle fans singing it everytime he scored.

To keep with the trivia theme, was he born Willie or was it short for William or as TJR suggests Wilmot?

He was born William (I've seen the cert). The point I was trying to make (obviously not very well) was that it'd be whacko to change his name! Anyway, I'll stop now, you've had it tight on two threads now and that's at least one too many for a good Jagsman who sings in the shed. :thumbsup2:

^ Pele played Scotland just the once: 25th June, 1966, Scotland 1 Brazil 1, in a Hampden friendly. As well as Ronnie McKinnon and Stevie Chalmers (who put Scotland ahead in the first minute), Peter Cormack (then of Hibs) made his international debut that day.

64 teams went into in this long weekend round of FA Cup games. Including friendlies, how many of these teams have played Partick Thistle? 24 hours to have a guess; one guess each, first to be spot on or first to be nearest, wins the cyber pint, meet you back here in 24 hours...

Was at that game and Pele played. Bremner clocked him early on and he played out the rest of the game hobbling on the wing. As the vast majority of the crowd was there to see Pele so every time Bremner touched the ball he was booed. My other memories of that night was of Baxter having a tremendous game and my last trip on a trolley bus out to Hampden from Cambridge St. Can't think of a Jags connection from that evening except Stevie Chalmers and Donnie McKinnon's brother, Ronnie, both played.

I was at the Scotland v Brazil game at Hampden too - it was just before the 1966 World Cup. As well as Pele, Jairzinho & Gerson who were two of the stars of the 1970 World Cup winning team, also played in that game. I think Billy Bremner started kicking Pele during the National Anthems and continued hacking him throughout the game...Brazil kept the ball for long spells...and Jim Baxter had the same skill level.

All the attention up to the kick-off was on Brazil who were the current World Champions...the newspaper headline the next day was "Nobody noticed Scotland until they scored"...which is the minor Thistle connection to Pele...Steve Chalmers scored in the first minute...he played about 50 times for Thistle at the end of his career but his real connection was with Celtic.

Just read TJR's post - didn't remember Peter Cormack was also in the Scotland side

Edited by Winter of '63

64 teams went into in this long weekend round of FA Cup games. Including friendlies, how many of these teams have played Partick Thistle? 24 hours to have a guess; one guess each, first to be spot on or first to be nearest, wins the cyber pint, meet you back here in 24 hours...

13?

Sorry cannot answer the question about Cloughie.

I hope that does not preclude me from asking a random question to which I do not know the answer.

We all know the Johnnie Lambie anecdote, "Tell him he's Pele". but

Has any Partick Thistle player ever played against (or perhaps less likely on the same team as) Pele and if so who, where and when?

My preference would be for someone who was then a current player, but if that does not work, someone who went on to play, or had played, for Thistle would be a good second best.

Did Pele play in 1974 World Cup ? Scotland were in the same group - so maybe Roughie or was that too early for his Scotland career ?

In the Anglo-Scottish Cup in the late 70's, we played:

Bolton

Bristol City

Mansfield

Friendlies:

Man Utd after we transferred Alex Forsyth to them

Man City - pre-season game in Sweden, possibly also in a pre-season tournament at Ibrox

Newcastle -pre-season friendly at Firhill...I remember seeing Malcolm MacDonald and his aerodynamic sideburns

Liverpool XI - pre-season match at Firhill a few years ago

Fleetwood - think we played them away in a pre-season game fairly recently

Wigan - another fairly recent friendly at Firhill

Brighton - winter break game in Spain

That's 10...but I'm sure there are quite a few others in long forgotten friendly/challenge games

Bolton

Bristol City

Mansfield

Friendlies:

Man City - pre-season game in Sweden, possibly also in a pre-season tournament at Ibrox

Newcastle -pre-season friendly at Firhill...I remember seeing Malcolm MacDonald and his aerodynamic sideburns

That's 10...but I'm sure there are quite a few others in long forgotten friendly/challenge games

Preston, Villa, Birmingham, Bradford, Everton, Bury are friendlies I remember.

In the Anglo-Scottish Cup in the late 70's, we played: Bolton Bristol City Mansfield Friendlies: Man Utd after we transferred Alex Forsyth to them Man City - pre-season game in Sweden, possibly also in a pre-season tournament at Ibrox Newcastle -pre-season friendly at Firhill...I remember seeing Malcolm MacDonald and his aerodynamic sideburns Liverpool XI - pre-season match at Firhill a few years ago Fleetwood - think we played them away in a pre-season game fairly recently Wigan - another fairly recent friendly at Firhill Brighton - winter break game in Spain That's 10...but I'm sure there are quite a few others in long forgotten friendly/challenge games

Add friendlies against

Aston Villa

Leicester

Preston North End

Peterborough

Edited by P-R

Bolton

Bristol City

Mansfield

Friendlies:

We also played Leyton Orient in the Anglo Scottish but I assume they're oot the cup?