Colemanballs Live

Rid Skwerr

Colemanballs is a column in Private Eye to record the stupid things commentators and pundits say in commentary.

Just heard my first ever live one on tv just now.

The BBC guy doing the Shrewsbury - West Ham game had just described Shrewsbury striker, Carlton Morris as going "twelve goals without a game".

Useful man to have on your bench, then!

Edit to add - Thistle connection - Shrewsbury's shirt sponsor is Energy Check.

Edited by Rid Skwerr
  • Like 2

Colemanballs is a column in Private Eye to record the stupid things commentators and pundits say in commentary.

Just heard my first ever live one on tv just now.

The BBC guy doing the Shrewsbury - West Ham game had just described Shrewsbury striker, Carlton Morris as going "twelve goals without a game".

Useful man to have on your bench, then!

Edit to add - Thistle connection - Shrewsbury's shirt sponsor is Energy Check.

And wanted Archie

I always find it interesting that it is suggested League 1 in England is miles ahead of the SPFL except Celtic. For the best part it probably is...but then you see guys like Carlton Morris playing for the team second top of the table. Lukas Akins also bagged hatfuls of goals in that league whilst Lyle Taylor seems to score more than he did in the SPFL

I know this isn't very PC and in poor taste; and please delete if necessary. But on Sportscene on Saturday I'm sure Tom English referred to the Falkirk score (vs United) as "the one that's going to take your eye out of your head".

I thought it was careless.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an amazing goal in the Champions League final. About five touches between different players without the ball touching the ground, from midfield to goal.

Steve McManaman described it as 'Subbuteo football'

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

The Late, Great Arthur Montford commenting on THE League Cup Final noted that "With Jimmy Johnstone leaving the field, Celtic are down to twelve men!

​This was in the immediate aftermath of Johnstone savagely raking his shin down Ronnie Glavin's studs......well that's how I saw it then and I stand by the interpretation.

The Late, Great Arthur Montford commenting on THE League Cup Final noted that "With Jimmy Johnstone leaving the field, Celtic are down to twelve men!

​This was in the immediate aftermath of Johnstone savagely raking his shin down Ronnie Glavin's studs......well that's how I saw it then and I stand by the interpretation.

You've reminded me of Lambini's testimonial game vs the h*ns... they subbed on a player without taking anyone off, and the guy on the PA announced "Has anyone checked the Rangers team ? They've got 12 men on the park - NOT INCLUDING the referee.!!!".... I thought that was hilarious.