Red Star: Our Parisienne Soulmates

eljaggo

Bonjour mes amis. Today's Guardian newspaper has a great article on the Paris football team Red Star, founded by Jules Rimet no less. Reading it, I was immediately struck by the similarities between them and Partick Thistle, and thought that a two leg pre-season friendly would be tres bien. D'accor?

It's in the online Guardian edition Sandy - so your aesthetic preferences will not be tested. Tend to agree though about the tabloid version, although if it means the paper survives (for longer?) then it's a price worth paying.

I know eljaggo, i think I’m sounding like Waldorf & Stadler in the muppets; bemoaning progress like a grumpy old git

• 2 weeks later...

If there is a continental team most similar to Thistle, I would think it would be Rayo de Vallecano.

They are in the same city as 2 massive clubs (Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid)

They get very little press coverage, even in the local media

They are named after a district of the city

They yoyo between the top 2 leagues

They played in Europe once (I know we did it twice, but the Inter-twobob cup doesn't count unless you win it !)

They have a very distinctive strip

If there is a continental team most similar to Thistle, I would think it would be Rayo de Vallecano.

They played in Europe once (I know we did it twice, but the Inter-twobob cup doesn't count unless you win it !)

Do they have a Bing and a scary mascot?

If there is a continental team most similar to Thistle, I would think it would be Rayo de Vallecano. They are in the same city as 2 massive clubs (Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid) They get very little press coverage, even in the local media They are named after a district of the city They yoyo between the top 2 leagues They played in Europe once (I know we did it twice, but the Inter-twobob cup doesn't count unless you win it !) They have a very distinctive strip

Two forays into European competitions (62-63 Fairs Cup and 72-73 UEFA cup) other than the Intertoto malarkey (and frankly that gave the opportunitiy for two great trips Mickey Mouse competition or not) must be about time for another one mind you.

And another good left wing working class club

• Like 1