Sellick Away

jags on tour

Wasn’t at the game, but to recover from being caught cold with two early goals shows a bit of character. Yes we are out of the cup, but not many teams get 2 goals at Parkhead.

Erskine sounded better today, Edwards energetic. But I do worry about the form of Barton and Devine. We need Osman & Keown back to start.

Edited by sandy

1 minute ago, eljaggo said:

Erskine played really well after the first 10-15minutes, when he seemed caught out by the speed of play.  Barton was not at fault for the first goal, Devine's first touch put himself under pressure and he gave the ball away.

Why are so many giving Danny Devine a bad rap for what was Baily Cargill's error for the first goal?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Erskine played really well after the first 10-15minutes, when he seemed caught out by the speed of play.  Barton was not at fault for the first goal, Devine's first touch put himself under pressure and he gave the ball away.

Barton telegraphed his backpass and put the defender under pressure as 2 Celtic players were charging him down before the ball was even moving to him. He should have put his foot through it though.

Devine did nothing wrong, in fact he wasn't even the defender that Barton played the ball back to; it was Cargill.

Edited by ClydebankJag

In the end it was a spirited performance that counted for nothing because of 10mins of absolute madness. We just cannot afford to start games like that! The third goal for Celtic was absolutely criminal, with 3 Thistle players within inches of him, yet not one of them put in a tackle. It is beggars belief that our manager still has not realized that Barton's best position is at the heart of defense, and not in the midfield.  

On a happier note, our two goals were great finishes. I would like to see what Doolan and Sammon can do for the rest of the season if they're played together. Sammon's ability to hold the ball up will certainly help a poacher like Doolan. 

7 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

How is there no stoppage time after Lustig had his leg removed? Baffling.

Could Celtic dive and moan any more?

That Barton is on the pitch is enough for some on here to blame him for any goal, that’s dumb. He’s the only midfielder prepared to put his foot on the ball rather than lump it meaninglessly forward. Spittal is having another wildly anyonmous game, how about some internet trolling for him?  

Yeah that’s right one of our top scorers and assist makers Spittal is to blame - did u even watch the game?there was a reason Barton was substituted before Spittal who at least created plenty of chances 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yeah that’s right one of our top scorers and assist makers Spittal is to blame - did u even watch the game?there was a reason Barton was substituted before Spittal who at least created plenty of chances 

Blair Spittal is a young player with lots still to learn..

When you need to have a bit of dig in the trenches, Blair is not your man.........yet.

7 hours ago, sandy said:

Wasn’t at the game, but to recover from being caught cold with two early goals shows a bit of character. Yes we are out of the cup, but not many teams get 2 goals at Parkhead.

Erskine sounded better today, Edwards energetic. But I do worry about the form of Barton and Devine. We need Osman & Keown back to start.

correct. You've no got a clue. Anyone looking at the score might have thought we had a chance. They shoulda been out of sight through our own doing. It was a diabolical start. They gave us a goal out of fairness but to credit kris doolan,he read it a mile. Wonder what might have happened if we went for it. Storey not gettin on the park was a joke. Archie cost us the day with the negative changes when it was there to be won. Even the celtic boys said that after it. As we say every year, league is more important. Who put the baw in the Celtic stand? Who didnae?

Edited by MonehJags

8 hours ago, sandy said:

100% spot on. Shame that some Jags like to write us off and 'remind' us of how shite we are the very second we concede a goal. The Jags, despite not fielding the optimum XI from the start, were, for the majority of the game, magnificent. I couldn't be more proud of my team after today. Erskine worked his baws off to make something happen in the last 10 minutes or so. And it nearly came about. 

We Are Thistle. Now and forever.

• Like 3

Celtic last season were genuinely brilliant.  Not this season. Their defence is their weak spot particularly Lustig who knows it himself and that's why he plays to the fans so much to cover himself.

I love Dools but aggresive play by Sammon and Storey would pressure their defence more and put us on the front foot from the beginning.

Lots to be pleased about with a return to form of Erskine and some good play at times.

Both strikers took their goals really well. McGinn looked assured and Spittal had a good game.

First goal was ridiculous by Barton. Could easily have turned away and passed right or up field but chose to turn into trouble and pass back to a non footballing centre back.

Made Devine look really bad doing that. Most teams and players know who not to pass to when it's tight and Barton put Devine right in the sh1t.

Was also jogging about at the other goals and hoping someone else would do his job.

Full praise to the team in general after an horrific start. Most teams would have completely folded.

I feel we need to stay up and put this season behind us. Write it off as one of those things and move on to better things next year.

Up the Jags!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Lots to be pleased about with a return to form of Erskine and some good play at times.

Both strikers took their goals really well. McGinn looked assured and Spittal had a good game.

First goal was ridiculous by Barton. Could easily have turned away and passed right or up field but chose to turn into trouble and pass back to a non footballing centre back.

Made Devine look really bad doing that. Most teams and players know who not to pass to when it's tight and Barton put Devine right in the sh1t.

Was also jogging about at the other goals and hoping someone else would do his job.

Full praise to the team in general after an horrific start. Most teams would have completely folded.

I feel we need to stay up and put this season behind us. Write it off as one of those things and move on to better things next year.

Up the Jags!

Why do many blame Devine? It was Cargill that got the ball from Barton and gave it away.

As bad as the first goal was, Devine made a great block and the ball fell perfectly for Forrest. Maybe if he hadn’t blocked it would have been an easy save for Tam?

as mentioned by others the falling over by Celtic players is a joke. The slightest touch or non-touch and down they go. The bigger and stronger players get, the easier they fall over! :angry2: Tierney holding his head after elbowing Edwards on the head was ridiculous as well.

10 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Sorry but Erskine is way out of touch and under current form miles away from being in the first team.

3 hours ago, MonehJags said:

correct. You've no got a clue. Anyone looking at the score might have thought we had a chance. They shoulda been out of sight through our own doing. It was a diabolical start. They gave us a goal out of fairness but to credit kris doolan,he read it a mile. Wonder what might have happened if we went for it. Storey not gettin on the park was a joke. Archie cost us the day with the negative changes when it was there to be won. Even the celtic boys said that after it. As we say every year, league is more important. Who put the baw in the Celtic stand? Who didnae?

You are either a complete bell end or just someone that doesnt understand football?

Archie cost us? So Storey not being on for the first 10 mins was our downfall? Are you serious or just the moron I have spent the last few years to take you for?

7 hours ago, Metz said:

Sorry but Erskine is way out of touch and under current form miles away from being in the first team.

Was a bit surprised when I saw Erskine was starting as he has been out of touch recently. When the decision is made to play Doolan and save Sammon for later in the game, perhaps Erskine is an easier pick as he can link well with Dools. Wasn't at the game, have just watched the highlights. Erskine has the vision to see, and skill to execute, killer balls. Superb ball to Sammon for the second goal, inch perfect. Terrific cross at the end too. 

Edited by BowenBoys
  • Like 1

Not knowing if it was the defensive midfielders or centre halfs who should be picking up the runners from Celtics midfield cost us in the first 15. Once we sorted that, we looked more solid.

I'm not sure why Barton came back in for Osman. I can only assume he wasn't 100%. However, moving forward McCarthy has got to be ahead of Barton in midfield.

At the back, I thought McGinn yet again was solid. I really like him being in the team, a huge improvement on Dumbuya's efforts against Sinclair from the other week. I thought Cargill was poor. His first touch for their first goal was really heavy and put us in more trouble than Bartons initial pass. Devine whilst not the best, doesn't hide, takes responsibility and does his best to lead. Booth looked good on the left.

In Midfield Barton looked like he couldn't care less, in the first 15. But once the team sorted out who was doing what, he looked a lot more composed. He put in some great tackles, nicking the ball off the toes of the Celtic midfield. Woods oozes class. Composed, comfortable with both feet and really tough. His corners were for once, stinking however. 

In front of them I thought Edwards continued where he left off against Brown. The two of them seem to have a right battle with each other, but never dirty. Erskine  slowly recapturing his fitness and form. Was involved in both goals, his through ball for Sammon being exquisite. And could have had a third assist for Edwards at the end. Spittal, however brought very little in an attacking sense. He looked slow on the ball and didn't cause Celtic any problems. Should have been replaced by Storey.

Doolan took his goal superbly. What a beautiful touch he has!

Off the bench Osman improved the midfield, not in a defensive way but whilst in possession. He keeps the ball moving quickly, always available for a simple pass and move. Yet another game in impressed with McCarthy. The boy has no fear and is easily our third choice defensive midfielder. Sammon is Sammon. Feed the fish and he will score. Gave the midfield abuse for not getting up the park to support him. 2 minutes later he scores. If we can get him signed permanently, Archie may finally have that Stephen Craig replacement, he's craved for 5 years.

After such a poor start I feared four or five without reply, but credit to the management and players, the heads didn't go down. We got organised and got back into it and could have taken it back to Firhill, in the dying seconds after incredible pace and fight from Erskine to win the ball and get a great ball into the box.

Yet again Thistle don't get a penalty against Celtic. You won't see a clearer barge than the one on Devine. 

Special mention to Nicham for spitting at McCarthy. And for the BBC's embarrassingly one sided coverage. 

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Not knowing if it was the defensive midfielders or centre halfs who should be picking up the runners from Celtics midfield cost us in the first 15. Once we sorted that, we looked more solid.

I'm not sure why Barton came back in for Osman. I can only assume he wasn't 100%. However, moving forward McCarthy has got to be ahead of Barton in midfield.

At the back, I thought McGinn yet again was solid. I really like him being in the team, a huge improvement on Dumbuya's efforts against Sinclair from the other week. I thought Cargill was poor. His first touch for their first goal was really heavy and put us in more trouble than Bartons initial pass. Devine whilst not the best, doesn't hide, takes responsibility and does his best to lead. Booth looked good on the left.

In Midfield Barton looked like he couldn't care less, in the first 15. But once the team sorted out who was doing what, he looked a lot more composed. He put in some great tackles, nicking the ball off the toes of the Celtic midfield. Woods oozes class. Composed, comfortable with both feet and really tough. His corners were for once, stinking however. 

In front of them I thought Edwards continued where he left off against Brown. The two of them seem to have a right battle with each other, but never dirty. Erskine  slowly recapturing his fitness and form. Was involved in both goals, his through ball for Sammon being exquisite. And could have had a third assist for Edwards at the end. Spittal, however brought very little in an attacking sense. He looked slow on the ball and didn't cause Celtic any problems. Should have been replaced by Storey.

Doolan took his goal superbly. What a beautiful touch he has!

Off the bench Osman improved the midfield, not in a defensive way but whilst in possession. He keeps the ball moving quickly, always available for a simple pass and move. Yet another game in impressed with McCarthy. The boy has no fear and is easily our third choice defensive midfielder. Sammon is Sammon. Feed the fish and he will score. Gave the midfield abuse for not getting up the park to support him. 2 minutes later he scores. If we can get him signed permanently, Archie may finally have that Stephen Craig replacement, he's craved for 5 years.

After such a power start I feared four or five without reply, but credit to the management and players, the heads didn't go down. We got organised and got back into it and could have taken it back to Firhill, in the dying seconds after incredible pace and fight from Erskine to win the ball and get a great ball into the box.

Yet again Thistle don't get a penalty against Celtic. You won't see a clearer barge than the one on Devine. 

Special mention to Nicham for spitting at McCarthy. And for the BBC's embarrassingly one sided coverage. 

There. A well written, considered and objective report.

Doolan is special. A goal from nothing. He made it happen and, as you say, took it so well.

Archie explained before the match that Osman had played five games in twelve days so was being rested. McGinn was playing, fortunately it seems, because he is suspended next week. Didn't want to play Dumbuya, preferring to keep him fresh for next week. Keown has a knock and was not risked. Again, being held ready for Saturday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Metz said:

You are either a complete bell end or just someone that doesnt understand football?

Archie cost us? So Storey not being on for the first 10 mins was our downfall? Are you serious or just the moron I have spent the last few years to take you for?

Where did I say that about the first 10 minutes? We were 3 -1 down and made like for like changes. The pace of storey would have caused them all sorts of bother when they looked vulnerable defensively.

You could say Barton starting in midfield arguably cost us but you cant legislate for the casual mistakes that were made. What I dont understand is why with acres of space in front of him he turned back into trouble.

Anyway you seem to understand football better than me so what was your take or do you not have a clue either

23 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

You could say Barton starting in midfield arguably cost us but you cant legislate for the casual mistakes that were made. What I dont understand is why with acres of space in front of him he turned back into trouble.

Because he gets the ball caught under his feet with his first touch and immediately has a Celtic player on him covering the forward pass. If that hadn't happened, he would have had a pass on for Spittal down the right wing. But as you say, you can't legislate for casual mistakes.

He recovers the ball out from under him and plays it to Cargill who's first touch is really heavy. Forrest is on top of him too and he can't get the clearance away. As you say, again, you can't legislate for these casual mistakes.