Sellick Home 23/1

West Ender

We took over 1000 to Dumfries on Saturday. That was an enjoyable day out to somewhere we hadn't been for a couple of years.

I had no inclination to attend last night (or any time) the ugly sisters come. I fully understand the financial reasons for the club giving over the JHS to them but I don't want to be there.

We give Septic and Servco the best seats in the house and in return we're squeezed into the corners.

Do you not attend any game Thistle fans are housed behind the goal?

6,920 was given as the attendance. Anyone else at the game staring across at the full JHS wonder how they arrived at that figure? The JHS was originally designed for 6,263 but for argument's sake let's say a nice round 6,000. 920 home fans between the main stand and behind the goals? Neither was anywhere near full...but 920? I know that may fans prefer not to attend Old Firm matches for a variety of reasons but if it's true then less than 1,000 is extremely worrying.

Not going to do any arithmetic but I feel something has to be done to address the stay away fans. A fair chunk of absentees are undoubtedly ST holders, many of whom must be questioning the value of their purchase. More to the point how do you increase ST sales amongst the patg support when their purchase will for some include fixtures they're not keen on attending?

The Club should at least know, rather than employ sheer guesswork, why ST holders who'll in all probability be representative of the whole support, give these matches a miss. That they can do easily thru the database. They could of course just alienate the support further by handing over the North Stand to the ugly sisters.

On a personal level I find inconvenience the biggest bugbear of home games against the OF. For instance parking anywhere near the ground is a nightmare. Would running a shuttle bus/buses to and fro be practical and cost effective? I'm assuming that there's also many a fan who misses out on a drink before the game due to the nearby pubs being infested. Even tho' I've got a bus pass I'd be keen on paying a shuttle fare from somewhere like the Station Bar.

Not going to do any arithmetic but I feel something has to be done to address the stay away fans. A fair chunk of absentees are undoubtedly ST holders, many of whom must be questioning the value of their purchase. More to the point how do you increase ST sales amongst the patg support when their purchase will for some include fixtures they're not keen on attending?

The Club should at least know, rather than employ sheer guesswork, why ST holders who'll in all probability be representative of the whole support, give these matches a miss. That they can do easily thru the database. They could of course just alienate the support further by handing over the North Stand to the ugly sisters.

On a personal level I find inconvenience the biggest bugbear of home games against the OF. For instance parking anywhere near the ground is a nightmare. Would running a shuttle bus/buses to and fro be practical and cost effective? I'm assuming that there's also many a fan who misses out on a drink before the game due to the nearby pubs being infested. Even tho' I've got a bus pass I'd be keen on paying a shuttle fare from somewhere like the Station Bar.

Rather small time mentality that parking at a busier than normal Firhill puts you off going. Can you not arrive 10 minutes earlier?

Rather small time mentality that parking at a busier than normal Firhill puts you off going. Can you not arrive 10 minutes earlier?

Aye, real small time mentality. I arrived in the late afternoon and found a parking spot. Dumped the car, jumped on the bus and spent a rather aimless couple of hours in the city centre. This I've done a couple of times before for sevco games. Don't confuse that with dedication. I've time on my hands, others will not.

Anyway I make roughly an 80 mile round trip and if I'd known simply turning up 10 minutes earlier to park would've been such a doddle then I'd have changed my plans. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I guess Muzzy was thrown in over McGinn to attempt to match Sinclair's pace. He got torn a new one though, as did Spittal, by Sinclair and Tierney. Griffiths' introduction changed the flow of the game, and Archie too late with his subs. Both Barton and Doolan were on the side of the park ready to come on when the goals went in. On the plus side - we gave them a game for 70 minutes and took the lead. Is that the first time we've had the lead against Celtic this century? Great to have Abdul back, he really breaks the play up, even if his passing wasn't sharp tonight. Baily did fine, and James Penrice is going to be some player for us. But the immediate necessity is to get points on the board..............

Barton was already on the pitch when Griffiths scored.

Barton was already on the pitch when Griffiths scored.

I don't think that's what BR means. Barton was ready to come on just before the equaliser, as was Dools when Griffiths scored. No doubt frustrating from a manager's point of view but most likely both inconsequential occurrences. Ironically Rodgers was excusing Azeez's equaliser last season as he'd just made a substitution.

I don't think that's what BR means. Barton was ready to come on just before the equaliser, as was Dools when Griffiths scored. No doubt frustrating from a manager's point of view but most likely both inconsequential occurrences. Ironically Rodgers was excusing Azeez's equaliser last season as he'd just made a substitution.

Or maybe not inconsequential?

It could be that certain players that are likely to be subbed switch off as they wonder if it's them to be hooked.

We certainly didn't look in good shape at the first goal.

Maybe subs should be warmed up elsewhere and only appear when the change is happening.

In a day where tiny edges exist, I'd look at anything, no matter how marginal it may seem.

It was Bartons shitebaggedness that allowed Griffiths to score. The attempted tackle was as if he was scared to get his boots dirty. In saying that, he was the only player to, instead of back off, actually put a tackle in higher up the pitch. The result of this challenge, we won possession instead of allowing them the freedom of Firhill to get a sight of goal. Although that was probably the one and only time we have done that this season, I wish we would do it a lot more.

Edited by MonehJags

It was Bartons shitebaggedness that allowed Griffiths to score. The attempted tackle was as if he was scared to get his boots dirty. In saying that, he was the only player to, instead of back off, actually put a tackle in higher up the pitch.

How often do Celtic players score in a fairly crowded box? And how many defenders are reluctant to put in a tackle given how easily their forwards fall over?

I dont understand your first point. Secondly, in the instance last night, are you trying to tell me that Bartons challenge was anything other than half hearted. It was as if he was trying to just knick the ball off Griffiths toes. The ball should have been in the NS. Then your question could have been how often to Celtic score from corners

From the highlights I've just seen on Youtube.... could have (should have?) been around 7-2 for Celtic.

Not seen the highlights on YouTube nor have I any idea who put the clip together. But, any indications of a 7-2 win for them are grossly misleading. We competed and competed well for the most part. Like everybody else, I was disappointed that we didn't come away with anything, but I felt nothing but pride in our team at the end. Nothing like I would've felt if we'd just escaped a good hiding like you've indicated

Note to (my)self: don't be tempted to watched a doubtless Tim-compiled YouTube 'highlights' clip if we haven't won.

According to the ET, for our penalty the referee blew his whistle, and THEN ASKED for Miles Storey's view on what he should do next!!!

Let's be frank here, in other words, because Storey didn't go down and might not have felt too much of the tug on him, the referee was giving Celtic a chance to get away with it.

What if Storey said he didn't feel much.... what would the referee have done, having already blown his whistle?? Booked Storey for simulating a stumble? Flagged him offside or something like that?

Unbelievable, but that's what we're up against.... the officials, and bias for or fear of the erse cheeks.

According to the ET, for our penalty the referee blew his whistle, and THEN ASKED for Miles Storey's view on what he should do next!!!

I'm just generalising, and I wouldn't give the clown Beaton the benefit of the doubt, but that's not too bad an approach for the ref to make. It's not uncommon for a player to go down in the box when it's not a penalty and isn't cheating. If he sees it as a dive/playacting ask the player his view. The player has the opportunity to tell the ref that he tripped over his own feet or whatever. If he still claims a penalty, book him. If the ref is using that method obviously he still has to ask the player even if it's a clear penalty and even if the player stays on his feet.

Anyway I wouldn't credit Beaton with that logic. What was remarkable tho' was the slowest moving ref since Willie Young was actually up with play to make the right decision. Find it hard to believe he was able to talk to Storey and still catch his breath.

• Like 1

Just watched 17 minutes of high/lowlights and heard Osman’s name mentioned twice. One of those he gave the ball away in our third of the pitch.

As a Nomad, who generally only sees highlights of matches, does Abdul offer the team anything?

I was there and thought that Abdul was one of our better performers on the night. As usual, much of his good covering, ball-winning and retention work was unseen or was not interesting enough to attract the attention of the high and low light selectors. He did one brilliant piece of skill to wrongfoot and breeze past a Rangers player-unfortunately I cannot remember when in the game this occurred or who was the Sevco player.

• Like 2

I'm just generalising, and I wouldn't give the clown Beaton the benefit of the doubt, but that's not too bad an approach for the ref to make. It's not uncommon for a player to go down in the box when it's not a penalty and isn't cheating. If he sees it as a dive/playacting ask the player his view. The player has the opportunity to tell the ref that he tripped over his own feet or whatever. If he still claims a penalty, book him. If the ref is using that method obviously he still has to ask the player even if it's a clear penalty and even if the player stays on his feet.

Anyway I wouldn't credit Beaton with that logic. What was remarkable tho' was the slowest moving ref since Willie Young was actually up with play to make the right decision. Find it hard to believe he was able to talk to Storey and still catch his breath.

My reading of this was that it happened after the game, could be wrong mind...

ETA - definite penalty & regardless of what Cerny got away with, it should've been a red card.

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle
  • Like 1

I was there and thought that Abdul was one of our better performers on the night. As usual, much of his good covering, ball-winning and retention work was unseen or was not interesting enough to attract the attention of the high and low light selectors. He did one brilliant piece of skill to wrongfoot and breeze past a Rangers player-unfortunately I cannot remember when in the game this occurred or who was the Sevco player who we were playing.

:)

• Like 2

I was there and thought that Abdul was one of our better performers on the night. As usual, much of his good covering, ball-winning and retention work was unseen or was not interesting enough to attract the attention of the high and low light selectors. He did one brilliant piece of skill to wrongfoot and breeze past a Rangers player-unfortunately I cannot remember when in the game this occurred or who was the Sevco player.

Edouard.

Abdul looked good from the stands, better than most games he's played over the last season. Lots of closing down and breaking up the play. Still to see the chance for us to go 2-1 up, but thought it was in from my seat up on our 18 yard line.

• Like 1

There were more at the Morton Game........Why do fans stay away? because Thistle prostitute themselves to earn a few bob.........You go to these games and you are completely swamped by old firm F**K**s.......when we lose as seems to be what we do best, there's the walk of shame back down the road............Its time we pulled the trousers back up and stop the reaming for the prospect of a extra pound................Give the h*ns the Weir Stand or are you happy with your fish breath????

Just watched 17 minutes of high/lowlights and heard Osman’s name mentioned twice. One of those he gave the ball away in our third of the pitch.

As a Nomad, who generally only sees highlights of matches, does Abdul offer the team anything?

Highlights are never kind to midfielders I think. Abdul was generally good with some moments of rustiness.