Firhill: The Future?

Jaggernaut

Aberdeen's new stadium looking very likely. Dundee FC and its fans aware that Dens Park is now decrepit, and there are well developed plans for a new 15,000-seater stadium; so what next for Firhill?

Continue as it is until the (excellent) main stand crumbles? Hope that eventual "development" at the city end will provide an alternative, tiny stand (wasn't there talk of 100 or 200 seats at one point)?

Completely redevelop the main stand (would that ever be affordable)?

Or, sell up and look to move somewhere else?

A range of views on the Dundee plans here:

https://www.thecouri...or-new-stadium/

Edited by Jaggernaut

I think finance will mean we have to suffer the eyesore of Firhill for quite a few years. The ground itself is an embarrassment. Three sides and a dreadful bing at the Garscube Road End. I'd prefer to see them leave Firhill if it is financially viable. Certainly if it can be affirmed the a small safe standing area at the GRE would certainly improve the look of Firhill.

Said before; I'd hate to see us leave Firhill. For me it is a massive part of the club's identity. A town club, or even Dundee or Aberdeen,can move anywhere within the boundaries and it's still home turf. But as a small club in a big city dominated by others, Firhill is our place. I wouldn't even like to think of where the alternatives would be

• Like 4

Said before; I'd hate to see us leave Firhill. For me it is a massive part of the club's identity. A town club, or even Dundee or Aberdeen,can move anywhere within the boundaries and it's still home turf. But as a small club in a big city dominated by others, Firhill is our place. I wouldn't even like to think of where the alternatives would be

Exactly this. In an absolutely ideal world, I’d like to see us redevelop Firhill as location really is everything with new stadiums and I’d hate to see us playing in some soulless Lego stadium on the outskirts of Glasgow. Look what’s happened to Clyde...

• Like 2

I'd prefer to stay at Firhill but it needs to be redeveloped. The JH stand although giving great views is too big, the Main Stand ideally needs replaced, the bing is a disgrace with the North Stand probably about the correct size.

Wonder if its feasible financially to reduce the JH stand by taking the front section away, move the pitch nearer the basin, replace the main stand with housing/flats and a stand similar to the North Stand. Part of the North Stand would need to be removed/rebuilt. The bing could then be redeveloped including safe standing or a stand.

Pie in the sky I know but the capacity is too big for our current needs and I don't think it is a favourite venue for away fans as (except for the uglys) the are housed in the old stand.

If away fans are given decent facilities and a decent view more may come. We all have places we prefer to visit due to the facilities and the atmosphere.

I'd prefer to stay at Firhill but it needs to be redeveloped. The JH stand although giving great views is too big, the Main Stand ideally needs replaced, the bing is a disgrace with the North Stand probably about the correct size.

Wonder if its feasible financially to reduce the JH stand by taking the front section away, move the pitch nearer the basin, replace the main stand with housing/flats and a stand similar to the North Stand. Part of the North Stand would need to be removed/rebuilt. The bing could then be redeveloped including safe standing or a stand.

Pie in the sky I know but the capacity is too big for our current needs and I don't think it is a favourite venue for away fans as (except for the uglys) the are housed in the old stand.

If away fans are given decent facilities and a decent view more may come. We all have places we prefer to visit due to the facilities and the atmosphere.

Not much to disagree with there, except for the JH stand being too big. The capacity is already down to around 5,000 from its original 6,000. It still looks great, impressive; stands in comparison to just about any other modern "stand-alone" stand in the country.

Short of the unthinkable to sell up and have a smaller purpose built ground elsewhere - ground share with Queens Park especially if the blue & green segments of the game get their way for the bigger games maybe? - agree it is unlikely we can do much for now sadly.

The cost for redevelopment would be astronomical especially if we retained the main stand fascade which we all identify with.

All we can do is keep trying the lottery and hope we have another Weir family in our midst.

Can't imagine there's the remotest possibility of moving from Firhill in the foreseeable future . We wouldn't be building a training complex elsewhere if a move was even thought about.

Said before in theory erecting a small cheapo stand at the Bing end is not out of the question financially. Getting a sponsor and filling it a minimum of three times a year with OF fans, and on occasions as an overflow for Dons, Jambos, Hibees support, it shouldn't be too long in recovering costs. But that's theory and I wouldn't have a clue about how practical it would be to erect a stand in or around an area we don't own outright. in fact it's probably unfair to expect the Club to do anything above selling advertising space at the Bing till there's adjacent external development, something I assume is near entirely dependent on the property market.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Every time I hear talk of moving from Firhill, I can't help but think of Clyde and St Mirren.

The Firhill land likely won't ever be valuable enough to provide us with the funds (or the ambition?) to build anything with character and identity. As decrepit as Firhill may be, it's unmistakably our home.

• Like 1

If the SFA abandon Hampden as a national stadium as has been widely mooted, Queens, who I presume own, or part own, the stadium, may have to consider alternatives as income from the SFA dries up. If they could sell the Hampden site they may be attracted to a groundshare with Thistle and use some of the sale proceeds to renovate Firhill.

If the SFA abandon Hampden as a national stadium as has been widely mooted, Queens, who I presume own, or part own, the stadium, may have to consider alternatives as income from the SFA dries up. If they could sell the Hampden site they may be attracted to a groundshare with Thistle and use some of the sale proceeds to renovate Firhill.

Queens Park would use The recently redeveloped Lesser Hampden which has both terracing and seats. It would not however be compliant for the Premier league

Ideal scenario for me is a new stadium shared with Warriors. Multi-purpose modern facilities (creche, gym, rrstaurants, bars) leg room when sitting and safe standing. Space at the Clyde with easy to get to via Partick train/subway and roads.

"I have a dream...."

I think sharing with Warriors would mean playing on artificial turf or playing on a quagmire during the winter

Ideal scenario for me is a new stadium shared with Warriors. Multi-purpose modern facilities (creche, gym, rrstaurants, bars) leg room when sitting and safe standing. Space at the Clyde with easy to get to via Partick train/subway and roads.

I think sharing with Warriors would mean playing on artificial turf or playing on a quagmire during the winter

Aye, but we'd have a creche :thumbsup2:

Aye, but we'd have a creche :thumbsup2:

Loads of my mates at various clubs stopped going to football when kids came along. Now when I get to go to a game I'm cutting it fine to ensure my wife is not stuck with the 2 monsters for to long. Maybe that would encourage folk along as they can dump eh i mean have kids in a soft play with a cafe for mums AND dads.

Look at how much cinemas, pubs, home entertainment has changed in 25 years alone. Choice, comfort, quality.

Our newest stand has seats and legroom to small for people above 5 foot 9. Toilets with cold water and breeeze blocks. Pies, bovril and Nescafe coffee.

What kinds of choice, comfort, and quality would you like to see at football matches?