Firhill: The Future?

Jaggernaut

Given the cooncil's previous I won't hold my breath on any development around Firhill or any support for the club should the directors have any appetite or money to do anymore than maintaining Firhill as it is. The report is dated November 2016 and I can't see any changes since then so it seems to be a long term plan, a very, very long term plan!

The Warriors would admit that Scotstoun while better than it was when they first moved there is still far from ideal for top level sport in terms of facilities and access. A new shared facility with associated leisure and retail facilities down at the riverside in Partick would be worth considering but I can't see the finances ever being available to make it viable.

For me, an important part of the match day experience is the ground location. This is why the Firhill experience for me is so much better than, say, St J, Falkirk, Motherwell, Clyde, Livi etc. who have grounds some distance away from decent boozers/ eateries etc.. There are loads of good places to eat and drink around Firhill. As such, I hope we stay where we are (eventually with something in place of the bing ideally)

• Like 1

Late to the discussion but, never ever would i support a move away from firhill. Clubs need identity, firhill and maryhill are a huge part of our identity and is, compared to other grounds has soul.

I don't want to get too sentimental but firhill stadium is a huge part of my life experience. My grandfather lived opposite the ground (now terraced houses) and my dad was a huge supporter along with my uncle so i just followed along.

Now my son and daughter go and every time i walk into the ground i have to concentrate to keep myself together. I dare say it's not the best reason for staying at firhill but it's mine, i just get great comfort from being there. So stop all this talk of progress!!!

Was it one your relatives Thistlebright who wrote to the cooncil asking for a reduction in rates because his flat overlooked the ground and the quality of the football was not up to scratch? The cooncil replied that having checked their records, the poor quality football predated his occupancy of the flat, so no deal. Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

What are 4D seats? Given that time is the 4th dimension, are occupants of 4D seats able to transport themselves and avoid reality.

BowenBoys was referring to Parkhead. I think it's patently obvious that the occupants have transported themselves back in time by a couple of centuries. Not just that they've landed in another country. Real shame Celtic Football Club are such cheapskates and didn't purchase 4D seats Mark II. They're the ones that could've returned them to the present day.

• Like 1

Was it one your relatives Thistlebright who wrote to the cooncil asking for a reduction in rates because his flat overlooked the ground and the quality of the football was not up to scratch? The cooncil replied that having checked their records, the poor quality football predated his occupancy of the flat, so no deal. Caveat emptor.

Heehee, nice, fair cheered me up. But never ever would my blood complain about anything thistle..........then again

Can you believe GRE's post has made it into the weekend edition of the "i" newspaper, page 82. Shame on you GRE, such a sell out!!

Certainly if it can be affirmed a small safe standing area at the GRE would certainly improve the look of Firhill.

A vain (in both senses of the word) attempt to get GRE a free makeover. A Big Jessie!

:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I wanted to reply back to this and kept forgetting.

For me I would like a new stadium in Glasgow (so it would not be like Clyde FC) and near our spiritual home of Maryhill/Partick/West End.  This is all "pie in the sky" with no costing but a shared stadium with Warriors and a hybrid pitch with a mix of grass and artificial.  It would be used regularly by more people who would get into the habit of going instead of a couple of hours a fortnight. Modern facilities, choice, good view points would all attract people.

People have made comments about a crèche or coffee but to me this is all part of the service that needs to be offered.  Currently Scottish football and Firhill is basically catering for males 16 to 35 of the "pie and Bovril" fanbase.  Facilities I would like to see would be yes a crèche.  Better food and drink inside including coffee which is not Nescafe.  Who eats pie and Bovril outside football?  A choice of bars and restaurants before and after the football with different levels that would also attract people outside football games.  Safe standing, seats that are comfortable (like St Mirren Park) with comfort but also other seats at a higher price with a list of options allowing people to buy the service they want instead of just standard seats or hospitality.

A few years ago I went to Portland Timbers and while I want Scottish football to keep the authenticity the MLS is no longer fake cheerleaders and whooping from people who did not understand the game.  The choice of beers, wine, real segregated family section, activities for kids, different areas of hospitality and the pre and post match activities really were an eye opener, made it an all day event and the positivity was impressive. 

47 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:
I wanted to reply back to this and kept forgetting.

For me I would like a new stadium in Glasgow (so it would not be like Clyde FC) and near our spiritual home of Maryhill/Partick/West End.  This is all "pie in the sky" with no costing but a shared stadium with Warriors and a hybrid pitch with a mix of grass and artificial.  It would be used regularly by more people who would get into the habit of going instead of a couple of hours a fortnight. Modern facilities, choice, good view points would all attract people.

People have made comments about a crèche or coffee but to me this is all part of the service that needs to be offered.  Currently Scottish football and Firhill is basically catering for males 16 to 35 of the "pie and Bovril" fanbase.  Facilities I would like to see would be yes a crèche.  Better food and drink inside including coffee which is not Nescafe.  Who eats pie and Bovril outside football?  A choice of bars and restaurants before and after the football with different levels that would also attract people outside football games.  Safe standing, seats that are comfortable (like St Mirren Park) with comfort but also other seats at a higher price with a list of options allowing people to buy the service they want instead of just standard seats or hospitality.

A few years ago I went to Portland Timbers and while I want Scottish football to keep the authenticity the MLS is no longer fake cheerleaders and whooping from people who did not understand the game.  The choice of beers, wine, real segregated family section, activities for kids, different areas of hospitality and the pre and post match activities really were an eye opener, made it an all day event and the positivity was impressive. 

I'm coming round to the idea of a new stadium down at the Clyde around Meadowside with non football dependant leisure facilities (bars, restaurants etc). With access to the expressway/M8 for cars & buses already in place and good public transport links (including shuttle buses from underground/train stations? included in the ticket price?). It would also need to reflect our history, from Partick to Maryhill and back, including the bricks from the back of the JHS. Somewhere out of town (Clyde) or lego built 4 stands (St Mirren, St Johnstone) doesn't appeal. A smaller version of the AmEx Stadium in Brighton would look great.

Partick Thistle Football and Entertainment Ltd Marketing Division would like to remind our valued customers that due to the forthcoming visit of Rangers 2028 FC certain unavoidable changes will be implemented.

As is normal when we play either of our city rivals season ticket patrons will be required to move from the Kris Doolan Stand and will be housed in the Gregor Townsend Stand. Please also note the Stevie Lawless Crèche will be unavailable as it will once again be required as a detention centre. 

Police Scotland  has advised us of our duty of care commitment regarding our visiting clientele.  As is the norm for these fixtures for health and safety reasons the electrically heated seats will be switched off.  Also no furry cushions will be provided on this occasion. Patrons are reminded that bringing your own cushions is prohibited.  A hot water bottle is allowed but subject to inspection and confiscation should the receptacle contain alcohol of any kind (including any of our fine range of Thistle Vintage Ports).

*All patrons are advised of the Sectarian and Racist Act (Scotland 2020). It is an offence punishable by fine or custodial sentence to sing or chant anything of a sectarian or racist nature unless a few hundred or so join in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 26/01/2018 at 9:17 AM, Motherwell Jag said:

Wonder if its feasible financially to reduce the JH stand by taking the front section away, move the pitch nearer the basin, replace the main stand with housing/flats and a stand similar to the North Stand. Part of the North Stand would need to be removed/rebuilt. The bing could then be redeveloped including safe standing or a stand.

What is this thing some people have about turning Firhill into a housing development? Stop watching 'Homes Under the Hammer', 'Location, Location, Location' or whatever other property development-obsessed pish it is that's got a hold of you - or, at least take your little fantasy elsewhere. For goodness sake, Firhill is a FOOTBALL GROUND. Decimate the ground, decimate the Club.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ScottyDFA said:

What is this thing some people have about turning Firhill into a housing development? Stop watching 'Homes Under the Hammer', 'Location, Location, Location' or whatever other property development-obsessed pish it is that's got a hold of you - or, at least take your little fantasy elsewhere. For goodness sake, Firhill is a FOOTBALL GROUND. Decimate the ground, decimate the Club.

Unfortunately, the Board members who own the main stand and the bing appear to have the same obsession, which is that Firhill should be a two-sided football stadium and a two-sided housing/office estate.

I really don't like the fact that Board have hived our assets off to Propco even although it helped the club financially at the time. They could have asked the fans for investment if it was really necessary. I completely agree with ScottyDFA - that its a football ground...OUR football ground. Does anyone know what cash was raised and could a fan group buy it back? I'm a second generation fan with many more to follow me after I'm long gone and I for one would like to think that this would be at Firhill in all its football glory.

Wonder of there is any way of taking away some rows at front of JH Stand and moving the pitch accross the way. Knock down the main stand and move the North stand to where the main stand was and extend it. Then get some standing behind the goals. Probably cost loads to do this and its pie in the sky thinking but sure we can tap the Weirs lol

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Wonder of there is any way of taking away some rows at front of JH Stand and moving the pitch accross the way. Knock down the main stand and move the North stand to where the main stand was and extend it. Then get some standing behind the goals. Probably cost loads to do this and its pie in the sky thinking but sure we can tap the Weirs lol

Those kinds of works would probably use up the Weirs' entire fortune!

Out of curiosity: why the suggestion of taking away some of the JH stand and moving the pitch?

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Those kinds of works would probably use up the Weirs' entire fortune!

Out of curiosity: why the suggestion of taking away some of the JH stand and moving the pitch?

And how could you move the North Stand? Strange thinking especially as we’re not allowed to have standing