St Johnstone 27/1/18

Auld Jag

I always thought Woods was excellent when he played against us. If he can maintain match fitness, he and a very fit looking Osman will be a great partnership, protecting the back 4 and allowing Booth to bomb on.

2 ironies are that Barton looked like a world beater at sweeper after being a midfield liability and that Penrice has returned at precisely the wrong time. It looks as though these 2 may be out of the side for a while so Archie needs to keep them happy. Penrice should be signed up ASAP.

Another irony is that we are now talking about 'squad rotation' when we could hardly put a team out before Christmas. This is a way of keeping a fresh, happy pool of players as long as we don't compromise the best team available. Horses for courses is the answer.

As for Cerny, very happy with him but he seems to be getting grumpier the older he gets. Perhaps not a bad thing!

• Like 1

Slightly riled about the patter about St Johnstone's chalked off goal. The "goal" came about from a freekick that most definitely never should have been awarded.

Their arguments - and especially their decisive statements about what really happen - are rather ludicrous as except for games involving the OF in most games here the camera views and picture replay quality are too feeble to give any indication of what really happened. For inst the close ups on players' feet is so fuzzy you can't tell who is fouling who or if there is a foul.

Edited by Mr Bunny

A bit surprised not more has been said about Edwards goal.What a goal that was.

Probably because it was more or less a straight run with no tackles put in; but he had to go for it, keep the head down, and focus on the finish... all of which he did perfectly.

Like partickthedog, I thought the first goal was a terrific piece of teamwork.

• Like 1

Probably because it was more or less a straight run with no tackles put in; but he had to go for it, keep the head down, and focus on the finish... all of which he did perfectly.

Like partickthedog, I thought the first goal was a terrific piece of teamwork.

Has Azeez done that last year, we'd have been 6 goals better off.

• Like 1

Looking at the highlights which are now on the Beeb, it is even better.You can see that when Saints have the ball, Ryan spots a hole at rightback and his first move is to drop into that hole. As soon as we look like winning the ball he is scampering off, but still has the chance to look around for options before deciding to go on himself. It was a great goal.

Was it Cargill who puts in the pass from the back that sets up the first ? That was inch perfect.

• Like 1

Was it Cargill who puts in the pass from the back that sets up the first ? That was inch perfect.

Yes. He tried similar passes during the game. Didn't all come off but he was passing into an area where loss of possession wasn't crucial and as the goal testifies definitely worth playing the percentages.

Also folk that weren't at the game can see from both the goal and the Sammon missed chance Erskine's contribution early on. I thought Chris started brightly at Palmerston as well before fading. When he came on against Celtic he offered little to nothing. Could it be with a niggling injury, age, or a touch of both that he isn't best suited coming on to a tiring team? Not so long ago a great option but to use the fitba parlance the fresh legs aren't that fresh these days.

That always annoys me with Steven Thompson - would he refer to Villa v. Palace or Aston v. Crystal? ...or Ross v. Greenock?...or Glasgow v. Berwick? Someone tell him "We are Thistle"!

I don't think Steven Thomson does it to annoy but I know Jackie used to do it, way back when he had a proper job.

The reason that people refer to Villa and Palace is because they have unique last names, meaning there is never a need to identify them with their first. There are no other "Countys" in Scottish football so when people use that to refer to Ross County, everyone knows what team they are talking about.

On the flip side, Preston, Plymouth and Crewe all have unique last names but, outwith their own support, I don't imagine they get called North End, Argyle and Alexandra that often.

I prefer being known as Thistle, I think we all do. I'm not going to get too upset if someone calls us Partick though. Mainly as it is our name.

Always a good trivia question for the pub (or it was pre Google anyway).How many teams in the English Football League can you name that have a totally unique last name? I think there are thirteen at the moment. Given away a few already mind you...

U-20s playing St Johnstone 20s today. Thought it was going to be a repeat of the big game but ended up 3-3. Slightly disappointing in that it was a home game but I think it's true we have a younger than average U-20s in the development league. Noteable for 2 things: Nitriansky played as over age player and they had a player who scored a hat trick, John Robertson. It seems he comes from Edinburgh. Anyone know if he's a relation of Hearts' John Robertson?

Ok. Beyond palace, villa, crewe, Preston, Plymouth...

Accrington Stanley

Sheffield Wednesday

Tottenham Hotspur

Leyton Orient

Nottingham Forest

Derby County? (Newport non league?)

Nuneaton Borough?

...struggling

Think Newport are league 2, and there’s notts county as well.

MK Dons

Queen’s Park Rangers

And that’s me out

U-20s playing St Johnstone 20s today. Thought it was going to be a repeat of the big game but ended up 3-3. Slightly disappointing in that it was a home game but I think it's true we have a younger than average U-20s in the development league. Noteable for 2 things: Nitriansky played as over age player and they had a player who scored a hat trick, John Robertson. It seems he comes from Edinburgh. Anyone know if he's a relation of Hearts' John Robertson?

Notable for us playing a 15 year old too surely?

Ok. Beyond palace, villa, crewe, Preston, Plymouth...

Accrington Stanley

Sheffield Wednesday

Tottenham Hotspur

Leyton Orient

Nottingham Forest

Derby County? (Newport non league?)

Nuneaton Borough?

...struggling

Newport are a league side, as are Notts County, so that is out. Nuneaton are nonleague.

I will claim Forrest Green, Queens Park Rangers, MK Dons, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Port Vale.

I think that Stevenage used to be a Borough, but have dropped that part of the club name.

That looks like 10 so far

Edit: Scratch Wanderers as there are Bolton and Wycombe

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Newport are a league side, as are Notts County, so that is out. Nuneaton are nonleague.

I will claim Forrest Green, Queens Park Rangers, MK Dons, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Port Vale.

I think that Stevenage used to be a Borough, but have dropped that part of the club name.

That looks like 10 so far

Bolton and Wycombe are both Wanderers as well, so down to nine I think

Edit: are Forest Green not Forest Green Rovers as well?

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Think Newport are league 2, and there’s notts county as well.

MK Dons

Queen’s Park Rangers

And that’s me out

This is a good question...the only one I can add is Forest Green.

Too late in posting this! And they are Forest Green Rovers so we are going backwards.

Edited by Winter of '63