Motherwell On Saturday

thebiglemon

Phew! We didn't blow it. RC's unexpected massacre of Dundee meant we couldn't afford to lose that game. A win would have been better but at least we move up the table and surely Dundee must be a target for us now.

I should have added, it's a bit less disappointing we didn't win when you consider the last minute lost players. Hopefully most back and available for the next game. Maybe even see Elliot added to the squad soon.

Edited by Mr Bunny

ah well....only One Team in Glasgow got any points at all today. The ugly sisters and even Queen's Park lost.

Decent away point for us i think and good to see Dools getting back on the goal trail.

Scumdee and saints dragged right back into the mix too with their results. Shame about county improving on their goal difference so much though.

Getting pegged back is always disappointing. On the balance of play all we really deserved but you can never be sure if we sat back or they just put too much pressure on. We did give the ball away too often and by the end no real out ball as Storey was spent.

I commented last week how strong a bench we had, today's couldn't even muster 7 and it's clear Archie didnt trust any other than Spittal to come on and take some pressure off.

Just back, have to say 'Well are a horrible horrible team. cynical and dirty. Fouled Abdul the whole game, and he's the one who ends up booked!

Their right back used his arms more than his feet. Whole team dispute every decision -to be expected, with having a manager like that.

Rant over, thanks for listening! Good well earned point in the end.

• Like 4

Would have been great to win,but that's 4points from 2 away games, after only getting 3points from all our other away league games.Keep this sort of away form going and also keep up our good home record and we should be fine.Easier said than done I know but I think we are showing signs of improvement.

• Like 2

Motherwell are just the most miserable team to play against. They are on the edge of cheating with every challenge and Walsh let them off with most of them. The number of them who played as much with their hands and arms as with the feet. Just tough, tough football.

Having said all that I thought we did well and our manpower of a few weeks ago would have been overwhelmed.

Osman was great, Edwards covered every inch and Mussy tried his heart out. Cargill is one of the best defenders I've ever seen play for us; a quality player. And Storey looks so much fitter though he was completely done in the last fifteen minutes. Dools was quiet but did what Dools does. Woods was smashing as well.

There are quite a number of teams in this division today's performance would have dealt with.

Let's hope we finally get a proper result against that lot on Tuesday night.

• Like 1

Phew! We didn't blow it. RC's unexpected massacre of Dundee meant we couldn't afford to lose that game. A win would have been better but at least we move up the table and surely Dundee must be a target for us now.

They're a point ahead. Before today they were two points ahead. So yes Einstein they're a target.

Dissapointing as it always is to loss a goal late on: on the balance of play that goal was coming and was undoubtedly deserved.Nonetheless, as others have said we definetly stood up to Motherwell's physicality this time.

The latter at the very least borders on cheating and matters are not helped if you have a referee like Mr Walsh today who seemed unable or unwilling to bring the emiscreants to book.

• Like 1

Thought the ref was terrible - let a lot go which meant Motherwell really bullied us at times.

Booth missing was a huge loss. Neither wing-back got at them in wide areas which is where we could have hurt them.

I think Archie got it right not playing James Penrice - he would have struggled given the type of physical football Motherwell play.

Had a look at the Motherwell disallowed goal and it looks well onside - looks like we got away with one.

A point is a decent result – Motherwell are a good side. Plenty of good players on their side.

Last note is to the Motherwell supports – many of them are as mental as Donald Trump supporters. Screaming and shouting at the ref for blowing at obvious fouls!

• Like 1

Just watched the 'highlights' on Jagzone which only served to confirm my opinion that the goal we conceded yesterday was again eminently avoidable. It looked like Ryan Edwards was at fault? Don't know if it was down to our late changes in team selection or Motherwell's 'or a combination of both?

The main positive feature I'd take from yesterday was the fact that we kept our shape and were in the main resilient in the face of a big physical challenge. In fact,, I'd go further and suggest that earlier in the season this is precisely the kind of game we'd have lost. In fact, if our casualties return then an ugly sister double is a distinct possibility-alright then I'd gladly settle for a win against the ***s on Tuesday evening? Lol!

Agree with just about all the comments on the game yesterday. Thought before the game we had a great chance of winning but quickly downgraded my optimism due to the enforced changes.

A few months ago we'd have been swept aside by any team getting away with gamesmanship let alone blatant fouling as was the case yesterday. We almost matched Motherwell's physicality for a good period, which was probably as important as trying to play decent football given the officiating. The ref at McDiarmid was maybe worse in so much as he got so many decisions wrong. But this Walsh fella was more infuriating due to his high level of tolerance for the physical side of the game. Most other refs would have punished the constant manhandling.

A draw was about the right result and I don't look on it as two points dropped.

• Like 1

Agree with just about all the comments on the game yesterday. Thought before the game we had a great chance of winning but quickly downgraded my optimism due to the enforced changes. A few months ago we'd have been swept aside by any team getting away with gamesmanship let alone blatant fouling as was the case yesterday. We almost matched Motherwell's physicality for a good period, which was probably as important as trying to play decent football given the officiating. The ref at McDiarmid was maybe worse in so much as he got so many decisions wrong. But this Walsh fella was more infuriating due to his high level of tolerance for the physical side of the game. Most other refs would have punished the constant manhandling. A draw was about the right result and I don't look on it as two points dropped.

Agree with all that, especially the downgraded optimism and acceptance of a draw as a reasonable outcome.

Osman and Woods were dominant in the first half but less so in the second, which was one of the reasons the tide began to turn against us. Barton's marshalling of the defence in the second half was an important contributing factor to surviving with a point intact.