Meadowside

flashman

Well that brings back some memories of my mum and dad. Besides being that Bournemouth fan asking about Cargills progress, I was also born in the Southern General and lived the first couple of my years at Striven Gardens. My dad was a Thistle fan, my brother and sister went to Hillhead high school, I can remember going to the Burnbank bowling club aged about three and winning sixpences out of the fruity, my mum talking about Buchanan Street. Like I said memories, thanks for posting it.

• Like 5

Right handy for the Partick West railway station. I never realised how far west the ground was - I thought it was nearer the mouth of the Kelvin (or was that another of our early grounds?).

What a fascinating map as a snapshot of how Glasgow was at that time.

e.g. Garnavel was "the Royal Lunatic Asylum"; you could alight at Cowcaddens for "The Scottish Zoo"; The King George V bridge (bottom of Oswald Street) hadn't been built and Bridge Street railway station, along with many others now gone, was still there.

Judging by the prominence given to the Exhibition at Kelvingrove, and that Thistle were only at Meadowside between 1891 and 1908 I'd guess that the map was issued for the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition.

A great find, Flashman.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Right handy for the Partick West railway station. I never realised how far west the ground was - I thought it was nearer the mouth of the Kelvin (or was that another of our early grounds?).

What a fascinating map as a snapshot of how Glasgow was at that time.

e.g. Garnavel was "the Royal Lunatic Asylum"; you could alight at Cowcaddens for "The Scottish Zoo"; The King George V bridge (bottom of Oswald Street) hadn't been built and Bridge Street railway station, along with many others now gone, was still there.

Judging by the prominence given to the Exhibition at Kelvingrove, and that Thistle were only at Meadowside between 1891 and 1908 I'd guess that the map was issued for the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition.

A great find, Flashman.

Agreed! Love all this old stuff, and found this article on "The Scottish Zoo," with pics of the building (beside Stow College):

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Glasgow/ScottishZooAndHippodrome.htm

• Like 1