First-minute goals

Jaggernaut

Yesterday's sickener was inexcusable. Too many players pretending to be concentrating rather than getting in tackles. Barton was the main culprit: he got the ball and a faster-thinking midfielder would have set up the counter-attack as he had Jags players around him. Instead he put the defence in trouble.

It got me thinking of so many Scottish Cup games where (unlike yesterday) many fans were actually optimistic of progressing, usually away from home, with a great support, and within a very short time we are one or two goals down....... Dunfermline and Tynecastle immediately spring to mind. Are we cursed?

Out of interest, when is the last time we scored a first-minute goal against anybody? Christie Elliot scored one against Culter in 2011... any since then? 

1 minute ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I remember us scoring twice in the first three minutes away to County in Lambie’s 2nd division championship season and somehow contriving to lose

Rod McDonald scoring twice in the first five minutes v Kilmarnock at Firhill, only for Gus McPherson to equalise late on with a 30 yard daisycutter.

I remember the Gretna game at Firhill where we were 2-0 down after a few mins, I think they scored straight from kick off then we kicked off and they scored from that aswell, my bro was running late so I phoned him to say not to bother coming in as it was game over already, he didn’t pick up and got into Firhill and sat down next to us, he didn’t believe me when I said it was already 2-0, he said he was running up the city end drive and seen us kick off and thought that was the game just starting,too bad that was the 3rd kickoff off! Did that game end 2-2? I can’t find any highlights of it on youtube. I bloody hated Gretna.

2 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I remember the Gretna game at Firhill where we were 2-0 down after a few mins, I think they scored straight from kick off then we kicked off and they scored from that aswell, my bro was running late so I phoned him to say not to bother coming in as it was game over already, he didn’t pick up and got into Firhill and sat down next to us, he didn’t believe me when I said it was already 2-0, he said he was running up the city end drive and seen us kick off and thought that was the game just starting,too bad that was the 3rd kickoff off! Did that game end 2-2? I can’t find any highlights of it on youtube. I bloody hated Gretna.

It did end 2-2, which was also the HT score, if I recall correctly (though see above for evidence that recall’s not all that). It was literally the worst start I’ve ever seen with both goals coming straight from the respective kick offs. I always remember someone walking up the steps having just arrived, finding out the score and turning around straight out again 

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

To be picky,, it was 1st division championship season :)

It’s getting worrying how all these seasons are merging into one. I was just talking with someone the other day about being at the game where Novo was sent off for Raith, and I was sure it was in our DC relegation season. Only when I looked it up did I realise it was also the 1st div championship season. How I got them confused I don’t know.  Getting old, I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I remember the Gretna game at Firhill where we were 2-0 down after a few mins, .

The time imprinted on my mind is 73 seconds!!! Fairly sure I'm not far wrong. Considering after the first goal went we had to drift back to the centre circle  and lose the ball from the kick off losing that 2nd goal was some achievement.

• Like 1

As I currently have it, these are our first-minute counters since the 1980s (although in reaity I'd guess that one or two of the press-quoted "1 min" jobs were probably beyond 60 secs):

12.01.1981 Rangers [h] W1-0 (Glasgow Cup Semi Final) - Kenny Watson (1-0, 1 min)
11.04.1981 St Mirren [a] L2-3 (SFL Premier Division - game 33) - Tony Higgins (1-0, 1 min); Tony Higgins (2-0, 21 mins)
17.02.1982 Rangers [h] W2-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 20) - Tony Higgins (1-0, 30 secs); Maurice Johnston (2-0, 73 mins)
09.03.1985 Meadowbank Thistle [a] W2-0 (SFL First Division - game 30) - Alan Logan (1-0, 40 secs); Paul McKenzie (2-0, 32 mins)
12.03.1986 Clyde [a] D2-2 (SFL First Division - game 27) - Gordon Smith (1-0, 40 secs); Ian McDonald (2-1, 2nd half)
23.02.1988 Clydebank [h] W4-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round replay) - Pat Kelly (1-0, 30 secs); Eddie Gallagher (1-0, 9 mins); Eddie Gallagher (3-0, 71 mins); John McNaught (4-0, 81 mins)
19.11.1988 Ayr United [a] W3-1 (SFL First Division - game 15) - Gerry McCoy (1-0, pen 15 secs); Gerry McCoy (2-0, 37 mins); Pat Kelly (3-0, 40 mins)
02.08.1989 Rangers [h] L2-4 (Friendly) - Gary Peebles (1-0, 10 secs); Gerry McCoy (2-1, 10 mins)
30.12.1989 Albion Rovers [a] L4-5 (SFL First Division - game 21) - Johnny Flood (1-0, 1 min); Calum Campbell (2-0, 3 mins); Johnny Flood (3-2, 30 mins); Johnny Flood (4-2, 55 mins);
03.11.1990 Airdrieonians [h] D1-1 (SFL First Division - game 12) - Gary Peebles (1-0, 24 secs)
31.08.1991 Hamilton Academical [a] D1-1 (SFL First Division - game 5) - Colin McGlashan (1-0, 1 min)
04.05.1993 Rangers [h] W3-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 42) - Ray Farningham (1-0, 1 min); Grant Tierney (2-0, 52 mins); Gerry Britton (3-0, 62 mins)
31.12.1994 Kilmarnock [h] D2-2 (SFL Premier Division - game 18) - Rod McDonald (1-0, 45 secs); Rod McDonald (2-0, 6 mins)
16.12.1995 Kilmarnock [a] L1-2 (SFL Premier Division - game 18) - Derek McWilliams (1-0, 1 min)
30.01.1999 Livingston [a] D1-1 (SFL Second Division - game 23) - Robert Dunn (1-0, 7 secs)
14.04.2001 Forfar Athletic [a] D2-2 (SFL Second Division - game 33) - Barry Elliot (1-0, 1 min); Paul McGrillen (2-2, 77 mins)
10.07.2010 Queen's Park [n] W3-1 (Friendly) - Liam Buchanan (1-0, 32 secs); Liam Buchanan (2-0, 49 mins); Kris Doolan (3-0, 55 mins)
26.11.2011 Culter [h] W4-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) - Christie Elliott (1-0, 10 secs); Paul Cairney (2-0, 26 mins); Paul Cairney (3-0, 29 mins); Chris Erskine (4-0, 47 mins)

The Gerry McCoy penalty in 15 seconds is worthy of special mention.  I recall i witnessed it through the turnstiles after a ScotRail had put on replacement buses.  

Basically foulee and straight up to put ball on spot.  Still good going to get it taken so quickly. 

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, Duke Gekantawa said:

It did end 2-2, which was also the HT score, if I recall correctly (though see above for evidence that recall’s not all that). It was literally the worst start I’ve ever seen with both goals coming straight from the respective kick offs. I always remember someone walking up the steps having just arrived, finding out the score and turning around straight out again 

I thought that game ended 3-3 with two late goals for the Jags, including one in the last minute.

In my mind it was also my stag do. Which would make it mid-November 2005.

But I may be totally wrong.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

I thought that game ended 3-3 with two late goals for the Jags, including one in the last minute.

In my mind it was also my stag do. Which would make it mid-November 2005.

But I may be totally wrong.

That was a different game- in that one we were 3-0 down with about 8 minutes to go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mgow said:

The Gerry McCoy penalty in 15 seconds is worthy of special mention.  I recall i witnessed it through the turnstiles after a ScotRail had put on replacement buses.  

Basically foulee and straight up to put ball on spot.  Still good going to get it taken so quickly. 

Legal language often uses the "ee" ending to indicate the recipient of something, eg the recipient of an assignation is an assignee.

I love the description of the recipient of a foul as the foulee!

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Legal language often uses the "ee" ending to indicate the recipient of something, eg the recipient of an assignation is an assignee.

I love the description of the recipient of a foul as the foulee!

I was in glee at Dundee when Gerree was a foulee but scored a beltee belter.

• Haha 2