Dundee 17/2/18

Auld Jag

This was always going to be a big game. After the Dundee collapse of losing to a 10 man Kilmarnock a victory in this will put us above them and depending on results elsewhere we could also go above St.Johnstone. Dundee will be low in confidence so we have to come out and get at them but we also have to make sure we don't give anything away that will give them something to hold onto.

• Like 1

A win on Sat and we go up to 8th and leapfrog Dundee and St Johnstone who both seem to be in freefall at the moment.  Mcginn suspended so would like to see Muzzy in his usual right side, Barton moved into defence and Sammon and Dools both up front.  Get into them right from kick off with high tempo pressing game, then enjoy our Saturday night victory and listening to McCann’s moans.

ps Willie Collum is the ref for this one.

Happened to be driving on Tuesday evening and listening to Kilmarnock v Dundee on the radio. It seemed that quite apart from one headed goal Steven Caulker was a threat at virtually every set piece and the defence could not handle his strength and athleticism. Last season we would have stuck Big Liam on him. Maybe a task for Bailly Cargill, but quite a challenge for whomever is delegated for that purpose.

11 hours ago, robphil said:

judging by the brief highlights, christy looked to be in storming form against hibs in the development league game. would be nice to see him back at least on the bench..

He was certainly galloping up and down the wing like he'd never been away! Great to seem him back and available for selection (maybe another week or two?).

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Not sure that I agree. For me Barton is fine when the game is all in front of him. But in midfield he never looks like he knows which way to turn.

I think I am with Allyo  on this one. Barton is so good at sweeper and sometimes uses his skill from there to come forward through the midfield area. However, when he starts in midfield he looks flustered, hurried and uncomfortable. Just that extra second or so he has at the back to weigh up the options makes all the difference and he stands out as cultured, composed and totally Shaggy-like.

On 14 February 2018 at 2:04 PM, partickthedog said:

Happened to be driving on Tuesday evening and listening to Kilmarnock v Dundee on the radio. It seemed that quite apart from one headed goal Steven Caulker was a threat at virtually every set piece and the defence could not handle his strength and athleticism. Last season we would have stuck Big Liam on him. Maybe a task for Bailly Cargill, but quite a challenge for whomever is delegated for that purpose.

Spot on. Dundee will look for every opportunity to win set pieces. May be best for Abdul to man mark him at corners free kicks etc. key is not giving away silly free kicks in our own half.

Was at the Killie game the other night, because my son was doing some DJ work at the game.  Caulker was a huge threat at set pieces, not so much defensively.  My take is that we need to play 3 at the back because Dundee went with Murray and Moussa as a 2 up front and several times Murray's pace took him in behind the defence, therefore we need Barton in there sweeping up behind CB's.

The only other threat was McGowan (much as I don't like saying it), he was excellent and any danger Dundee posed was via his creativity.  I think we have enough in our squad, particularly if you look at my proposed team and subs, to win on Saturday but it won't be a canter.

I

Team today

Czerny

Dumbaya Devine Barton Cargill Booth

Woods Osman Edwards

Salmon Storey

Subs Doolan, Erskine, Lawless, Penrice, Keown Spittal, Scully

I would go with the team above but replace Devine with  Keown.   As Vinny has said above very likely we will go to a 3 at the back to cope with Moussa.

I also agree on McGowan - one of the most underrated players in the league. 

Tough one on Storey or Doolan up front.  Doolan has hit a few goals but I like the thought of the pace of Edwards, Storey and Salmon together. 

Edited by Alan Murray

Agree with the formation but I would start erskine instead of Edwards. Thought the bridge had a really good game against Celtic and we need some creativity in midfield.

bring on Edwards with 25 minutes to go to use his energy and pace to hopefully punish a tiring Dundee team much like the st Johnstone game.

If keown is fit again then he should start.

I don’t think this is a game for Doolan. Sammon and storey should cause them problems. Save Doolan to get a hat trick against Hamilton next week.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Agree with the formation but I would start erskine instead of Edwards. Thought the bridge had a really good game against Celtic and we need some creativity in midfield.

bring on Edwards with 25 minutes to go to use his energy and pace to hopefully punish a tiring Dundee team much like the st Johnstone game.

If keown is fit again then he should start.

I don’t think this is a game for Doolan. Sammon and storey should cause them problems. Save Doolan to get a hat trick against Hamilton next week.

Agree start with Erskine,use Storey's pace and hope we feed the fish.Edwards and Dools to come on in the second half if required or even if we are well ahead (wish full thinking)bring Dools on and hope he gets league goal 100.

2 minutes ago, thistle4celtic1 said:

Thistle playing well..possession wise at least.

Not sure if that's a result of Dundee  backing away from the ball (as Thistle are wont to do too often) when Thistle move forward.

To be fair to the team irrespective of what Dundee are doing our ball retention so far today is excellent