Dundee 17/2/18

Auld Jag

34 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Nowt to do with the subs. We were excellent in the first half and changed the system at the beginning of the second to our detriment.

Everything to do with the subs. Doolan for Storey at 1-0 with 8 minutes to go essentially meant we were going two up top.  Absolutely woeful game management from Archie today.

Sima/Dumbuya needs to be trying to beat his man. Every time he cut back on the wing! The only reason he put the cross in for the goal is because the pass from erskine invited him to run on to it. Its alright running to the edge of the box but for **** sake stop turning back and looking for a back pass. Get tae the line and cross it!!!

• Like 1

Things suddenly look desperate again? Got wha we deserved for  a totally gutless and rudderless second half? After an excellent first half when predictably we didn't convert our superiority into goals. Essentially, everything that we done right in the first half we did wrong in the second!

You cold moan about Archie's tactical approach, but I expect professional football players not to defend like schoolboys and I don't see how you can blame Archie for the players continual inability to defend properly.  To be quite honest that level of defending must make Simon Murray wish that he played Thistle every week.

I'll wait to calm down a bit before I post anything else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandy said:

I really can’t be arsed with the negativity on here from some posters this evening. 

The season has a bit to run yet, we will get through this 

The negativity imo is understandable,we had the game won and threw it away.Even though I have supported Thistle for nearly 60 years that was a very sore one to take.We were by far the better team in the first half,but after going 1-0 up we just looked like we were trying to play the game out.We scored with about 5 minutes of the first half to go not with 5 minutes of the game to go.A stat before the Motherwell game said Thistle and Hamilton had lost more points from a winning position than any other team in the premier league.Keep this up and it is championship for us and that wont be as easy as some think it will be.

Erskine was done at least 10 mins before he was subbed.  By that time he was reduced to a walk.  He should have been off at least 10 minutes earlier.  Dumbaya seems to lack confidence.  In the first half he received numerous balls in the clear with space to run at the defender, but almost always checked his run and found a backward pass to make. 

In the second half there was no leadership on the park and far too many passes were short, telegraphed or misdirected.  An utterly dreadful, rudderless second half performance. 

I'm not sure how Archibald can turn this team around.  There is a lack of fitness, a lack of leadership and a lack of fight from too many players. 

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

The manager, and the squad he has assembled do not have the requisite bottle to get us out of a relegation scrap. Utterly fed up with this season. The manager time and time again has shown his game-management skills to be lacking. Can't wait for this season to be over, and for some fresh energy to be injected into this stagnant club, both on the field and off it. And I really don't care how many people are triggered by my opinion. 

Imo Archie will not be sacked even if we go down and although I have not always held this view I do think he deserves the chance to bring us back up.If we had a bad start to next season and we had been relegated then he would deserve to be sacked.I also think we would have a completely different squad as a lot of them woudnt want to play in the championship.

I'm no tactical genius, but jeezo I thought Archie had a shocker today.

I thought it was obvious that the main goal threat and the energizing of the Dundee team was coming from Simon Murray.  Surely we had resources on the bench and the pitch to do an old fashioned man for man marking job on the guy,  get right in his face and nullify his threat.

Instead of that, we put on Spittal and Doolan who, with all due respect, where totally ineffectual in changing the flow of the game.

Wish someone would tell Miles to look up occasionally when he sets off on one of his runs. 

Two really poor teams out there today but it's the same old mucking about with the ball instead of just having a shot or getting the ball in.

Some if these guys need a kick up the arse.

But you know what really annoys me, lack of leadership.

#Itsnotdifficult to clear a ball

#itsnotdifficult to pass a ball forward

#itsnotdifficult to lead team through a game and not just on to the park at the start

#itsnotdifficult to pick yourself up after a nothing challenge and chase back instead of leaving a gap that leads to a goal.

Time to pick a captain that will fight for the team.

Gutless.

• Like 1

We fluked a win against Dundee earlier this season with two late goals so I guess this was payback today.  It's a movie we have seen far too often - we played reasonably well in the first half with success down both wings -  Storey and Booth had loads of space to run at  Dundee's  hopeless right back .   We  moved the ball  quite well  without making  many clear chances. I'm not sure why we changed our formation - Storey was ineffective in the second half.

Dundee were a poor side and low  on confidence.  Instead of keeping a grip of the game - a second goal would surely have ended the contest - we sat deeper and encouraged  Dundee to come forward  with our midfield  failing  to  win the ball  or play it out of defence.  Osman, Woods & Dumbuya ran out of steam  and Edwards yet again made poor choices and had little influence on the game...and on one of the few occasions when we had the chance to  play in their half, he  let the ball run under his foot  and out of play- from a good attacking position, we almost immediately conceded the equaliser.  

The most galling thing was that a win would have taken us above Dundee and St Johnstone  and 4 points clear of Hamilton - instead we let Dundee take a huge confidence boost. The League Table doesn't look good  - what a wasted opportunity!

The second half was terrible, but you could see it coming . As soon as we went 1 up there was clear change in attitude throughout the team- surely they and Archie know by now that we are not good enough to see out an entire 45 minutes without conceding. We handed the initiative to Dundee when if we had continued pressing for a second goal we would have kept them under pressure any may have scored again.

Very disappointing but not a reason to turn on the manager and the players. Yes they made mistakes but now is a time to get behind the team and show them our support. Certain players, notably Erskine & Dumbuya,  look short in confidence and if the support start getting on their backs that will not help the situation.

Annoying, frustrating , infuriating but that is part and parcel of following Thistle. 

• Like 1

The preverbial game of two halves. We had free reign in the first half and could have been further ahead at half time if Muzy put in some more crosses, instead of passing on responsibility.

Our forward players all had a great first half. Edwards and Storey especially. 

The second half as our midfield tired, at the same time, our defence became a cluster****, hell bent on putting the tired players in front of them into more trouble. Muzy and Booth continually gave the ball away, booth repeatedly playing balls inside to no one. At one point Muzy had the right wing to himself, motions to run into space and as Woods pings the ball out wide he looks up to see Muzy has thought, na fck it, I'll just hang back. The resulting ball flying out of play.

Whilst we stretched them wide open playing the ball across the back in the first half, we did none of that in the second, instead playing straight up and down the wings. This meant Dundee could easily crowd us out and counter. Can anyone remember one instance of Osman dropping between the centre halfs to provide an option for a pass, in the second half?

This week I had the joy of seeing Osman pitchside posing in his baseball cap outside the tunnel for another Instagram advert for his company. That's the point when I thought enough is enough, mixing business with pleasure, or at least taking his side job to his main workplace kind of pissed me off. His 2nd half display didn't help matters as he fannied about letting balls bounce instead of getting them tae fck. Not following runners and basically just hanging about.

I know the same old faces are grasping the opportunity to get back on the Archie Out bandwagon. But, he must be pulling his hair out like the rest of us. I can't imagine the amount of times he must have thought, what the fck are you's doing! 

Whilst I'm getting it out my system, Cerny's dallying and downright pish kicks are beginning to piss me off. 

• Like 4