Our best 11

stuart_adam

Now we are in the position to choose, who is our best 11?

personally I think we are strongest with Barton at sweeper.

GK: Cerny

RB: Elliot

DCR: Devine

SW: Barton

DCL:  Cargil

LB: Booth

RCM: Spittal

CM:Osman

LCM: Woods

AM: Edwards

ST: Sammon

Harsh on Doolan but Sammon is on a run.

Toss up between Keown and Devine.

Dumbuya and McGinn unfortunately not as good as Elliot

Edwards just gets nod ahead of Lawless. Based on previous performances behind Striker

Cerny and 10 others. 

Not trying to be flippant but I honestly don't have a clue what our strongest/optimum team would be. Not that certain what our regular formation should be either tho' I don't believe we'd be at our best playing three at the back in the majority of fixtures. Depending the opposition it works sometimes but other times it's just been used as a kind of damage limitation. 

It seems I'm in the minority as I believe our strongest XI would have Barton playing in midfield but that's totally dependent on Abdul being 100% fit and playing on top of his game.  As that's not exactly happening just now that's just another reason I can't name our best side. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Cerny and 10 others. 

Not trying to be flippant but I honestly don't have a clue what our strongest/optimum team would be. Not that certain what our regular formation should be either tho' I don't believe we'd be at our best playing three at the back in the majority of fixtures. Depending the opposition it works sometimes but other times it's just been used as a kind of damage limitation. 

It seems I'm in the minority as I believe our strongest XI would have Barton playing in midfield but that's totally dependent on Abdul being 100% fit and playing on top of his game.  As that's not exactly happening just now that's just another reason I can't name our best side. 

Agree with all of this except about Barton.Barton is in a back 3 or nothing for me.I know Dumbuya has hardly played but he is a shadow of the player he was.When thinking about our best 11 you have to think about fitness,form and tactics.The best 11? The 11 that can keep us in the premier league this season. 

I have missed a few Home Games  and haven't been to any Away Games but the first half  performance on Saturday was the best I have seen us play  this season - we retained possession and looked a much better side than Dundee.  Dumbuya, Osman & Erskine  although not at their best made important contributions.  They  faded  in the second half as did the team as a unit.

I rate Barton as an outstanding talent in the sweeper role and would like to see a formation which allows him to play there...but not in midfield.  I can see a case for Storey & Edwards as impact substitutes but neither would be in my best starting line-up.  I would be happy to see  McCarthy & Penrice given more game time  - we could do with some young legs for later stages of the game.

I'd argue we have our best squad but are yet to know our best formation and subsequent XI.

Right now I'd say (but this will prob change in the afternoon).

Cerny

|

Booth LWB

Cargill or Devine CH

Barton Sweeper

Keown CH

Elliot RWB  (but he's injured. Dumbaya was disappointing on Saturday so McGinn for me v Accies)

|

Osman CM

Woods CM

(Although something is not clicking with these 2.  Fitness? Need to understand each other better? A fit and in form Bannigan would be here but I don't know if he'll be back this season. Maybe McCarthy in.)

|

Spittal & Erskine behind the striker.  2 number 10's basically hard to mark and getting into space.

|

Sammon CF