The Battle of New Douglas Park

jagfox

2 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

The fans on here seem to be understanding the importance of this game let’s hope players and manager do as well.

Man for man thistle are a better team, I’m struggling to think of a current Hamilton player who would get a start in the Thistle side so the only thing that’s going to lose it is poor game management.

Hamilton will be well aware of the importance of this game and are at home on their dodgy surface so have an advantage. They are always a streetwise side and this will be a tough game for us -  selection needs to realise this. Much as we would like a free flowing attacking thistle side we need to keep this tight.  Taking our chances in front of goal will be the deciding factor.   A scrambled Doolan goal in the last five minutes will do me.

I would not ask Elliot to return in such a crucial game and I’m afraid Muzzy would have to be left out for his lack of confidence last week. McGinn back for me and possibly even Devine back in as he is a bit more aggressive than Keown and knows when to ‘take one for the team’. Personally I’d play both in a three at the back set up. I like Barton more than most on here but I would worry about his style in this sort of game.

I think we may need both Osman and Woods as long as they play to their strengths and Edwards energy will be important.  Not a game for Spittal he’s starting to get to me standing off players and not getting a tackle in, we don’t seem to get enough set pieces in dangerous areas to justify his inclusion. I wouldn’t be worried about playing McCarthy, he’s proved that he contributes energy whether attacking or defending.

I wonder if ‘upside down heid’ will look to continue his altercation with Storey, hope so as he might lose focus. Funny if Storey clattered him in the first couple of minutes.

It’s the biggest cliché in football but it’s one game at a time for me. Not much point thinking of the run in if we lose the next two. Hamilton bring very little to the league lets help them out of it.

Not sure about keeping it tight. That might be a recipe for a 1-0 loss. I think a good open game suits us and that we are more likely to win 3-2 than 1-0.

Much depends on how the pitch plays. As I said earlier on the thread it can sometimes be virtually impossible to play on, but at other times can throw up high scoring entertaining football.

One thing we can be sure of is that Hamilton will play it tight at the turnstiles, and it is best for Jags fans to arrive early to allow for excessive queueing and superfluous ticket issuing time.

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I agree with most  of the things you say CJ.I said at the beginning of the season as long as we finished no lower than 10th it would be success.I also am old enough to realise we are going through better times for us,although it doesn't feel like that at times coming away from Firhill after games like Saturday's.I do though think we should expect to get the best of Hamilton and be able to do as good as the other teams of the bottom 6,as this is what has kept us in the league so far.Of course I agree with you,it has always been and always be great to be a Jag:fan:

Totally agree AJ. I feel the hurt from 350 miles away and my missus is always asking me how come Thistle always seem to get cheating b****** refs, lol.

NDP is a tough place to go and Hamilton will feel a bit unlucky so far this season.

Let's come away with a great win and we'll all be happy.

Out with a few mates on Saturday who also live here in Corby.

A St. Mirren fan, Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell among them. It's not easy losing even when you live this far away.

All the best :) 

• Like 2

Man for man Thistle might be better than Hamilton, but the only thing that might lose the game for us is a dreadful mistake, a fatal lapse of concentration, or an attitude problem. Sadly, our players appear all to prone to those, and that's why any attempt to "keep it tight" (if that means simply trying to defend and hit on the break) would probably result in us losing at least one goal. If that happens, well it's all too clear how easily the heads can go down.

Full concentration and commitment from everybody, right in at them from the off, get one goal, then another, then another..... and maybe then try to keep it tight! 

• Like 1

Pace will be our friend tomorrow.  Storey, Edwards, whether or not Muzzy plays, even Sammon is quick when he gets going.   Hamilton struggle to deal with pace, and their surface means there will be a lot of awkward bouncing balls for CBs to judge.  A quick player running at them adds to the pressure.  Let's get at them with some of that. 

• Like 1

Let's play to all our natural strengths and go for the win, Thistle. We won't look back on this season thinking: "Glad we sat in against rival bottom half teams and snatched a wee draw here and there, and it kept us up". 

Accies, like us, are where they are because they've lost more than they've won. They'll be going flat out for the 3 points, and so must we, imo. From this point onwards, it's wins against the likes of Hamilton that'll determine whether we're in the big league or not next term. 

We've got the quality to do them, and whereas a draw wouldn't be apocalyptic, we need to shrug off any notions of negativity. It's great performances and a pronounced battling spirit in the final third of our previous SP seasons that've been responsible for our continued survival.

Intae them the morra, Thistle. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Man for man Thistle might be better than Hamilton, but the only thing that might lose the game for us is a dreadful mistake, a fatal lapse of concentration, or an attitude problem. Sadly, our players appear all to prone to those, and that's why any attempt to "keep it tight" (if that means simply trying to defend and hit on the break) would probably result in us losing at least one goal. If that happens, well it's all too clear how easily the heads can go down.

Full concentration and commitment from everybody, right in at them from the off, get one goal, then another, then another..... and maybe then try to keep it tight! 

To be fair I think we are saying the same thing. By "keep it tight" I didn't mean be defensive...I meant keep it organised. Don't give the ball away cheaply, make set pieces count, close them down and as you say concentration and commitment.  If we score don't fall back and let them come at us keep the pressure on them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Let's play to all our natural strengths and go for the win, Thistle. We won't look back on this season thinking: "Glad we sat in against rival bottom half teams and snatched a wee draw here and there, and it kept us up". 

Accies, like us, are where they are because they've lost more than they've won. They'll be going flat out for the 3 points, and so must we, imo. From this point onwards, it's wins against the likes of Hamilton that'll determine whether we're in the big league or not next term. 

We've got the quality to do them, and whereas a draw wouldn't be apocalyptic, we need to shrug off any notions of negativity. It's great performances and a pronounced battling spirit in the final third of our previous SP seasons that've been responsible for our continued survival.

Intae them the morra, Thistle. 

Couldn't agree more BJ.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

"Must wins" haven't tended to be our strong-point over the past few seasons - let's hope tomorrow is an exception - I tend towards "cup half empty" but hope springs eternal both tomorrow and and in a week's time

I agree that this season we have been disappointing in some (though not all) of the clashes with our near rivals in the league table. However, going back to the Morton game, we have generally during Archie's tenure obtained good results when we have really needed them, the only significant exception being the top 6 decider at Ross County.  Away wins at Kilmarnock and Hearts in our first season up and at Ross County the next season were massive "must wins" and the consequences of failure might have been disastrous. 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 2:53 PM, jagfox said:

Time for talking is over. Need to get a win whatever which way but lose...

Agree entirely no more excuses will be accepted. Once again Ragnarok Part 999 raises its ugly head and the support can’t really be expected    to accept this squad of players meekly ‘sell the jerseys as they’ve done so often this season.

Sure I know it’s a crappy pitch, but the ***s scored 5 there last weekend and let’s be honest despite our results against them and the best efforts of the ‘Laptop Loyal’ world beaters they certainly are not.

I feel the blame, if such there is can be apportioned equally between the players for performances like the 2nd half last week and the approach we seemed to adopt to it?

Nonetheless, we are where we are and st this stage it makes little sense to rake over our mistakes or worse hunt for scapegoats. We’ve really simply got to get behind our team and the management and trust that they respond in a positive fashion this afternoon.

Mon ra Jags!

Edited by stillresigned

4 hours ago, watties wallies said:

mcginn right back   booth left back

sammon and doolan up front

storey and lawless behind front 2

rest of team i leave to archie

Leave it to Archie? Look where that has got us. Let's hope we win today towards our survival for Archie to move on at least keeping us up.