Scotland v Costa Rica

Lambies Lost Doo

Turgid is a good word. Couldn't really get near them until they took their foot off the gas for the second half. It's the start of their World Cup warm up and they barely got their training tops off. If we had managed to take one of our half chances, I have no doubt Costa Rica would have stepped up a gear to win.

Sadly, the atmosphere was really subdued. There is a malaise around the national game at the moment. McLeish needs to take more risks with team selection and look to younger players, including Lindsay. However, the senseless booing at the end suggests that fans disagree and are looking at the present rather than the future.

To end on a happy note, my son and his school pals enjoyed the experience.  Hopefully they will all be back for more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like big Liam but be honest, he's not really international class and is playing at the moment for a team that is on a real downer.  That must affect his form.  McKenna is playing for the 2nd best team in Scotland and is playing well for them.  Saw him against us at Firhil and he looked absolutely solid.  Looked mostly the same v Costa Rica, though still bedding in at that level.  Reckon he's got more potential than Lindsay as also does Hendry who was also called into the squad.  We've always known Lindsay was commanding in the air and a good tackler but he lacks pace and that will keep him from ever becoming a top class defender.  That's not to say he might not get the odd cap: after all injuries and so on happen regularly and although there are better players than Lindsay there aren't all that many of them at the moment. 

That's Scotland problem at the moment (and for the last few years) - we have a plethora of good midfield players (one or two very good) but have lacked reliable centre backs and a reliable goal scorer.  If McKenna and Hendry break through and prove themselves the former is partly solved  but apart from Griffith (who only developed into a true international striker in the last year) we have no one really good enough.  I think we really should be pushing at this and looking at far more young forwards to see if there are any who could possibly make the grade, maybe seeing if extra coaching or something could be given to try to develop them more.

Not really disagreeing, Mr Bunny. In my view Lindsay should've been bloodied into the international set up a good while back.  Getting a first call up when his club is struggling and got a lot of games coming up may not be the best time for him to make his debut. Doesn't explain why McBurnie got a game, tho'.

Also does anyone believe Hendry would've been a squad pick if he had remained at Dens?

Agree re Hendry tho' think he really has potential and that's a case where him moving to one of OF results in a justified cap for once.  Not saying Hendry is ready  just yet but I remember when he and Lindsay played together, everyone thought Hendry would become the better player.  He's obviously coming on now but perhaps his early move from us wasn't the best idea and he should have hung around.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Jack Henry... who was the last former or current Thistle player to play for Scotland? We're talking decades, right? Has there been anyone since Mo Johnstone?

Let's say excluding Dorrans who wasn't ours.

Edited by allyo