Jack Hendry - an international ex-Jag

ClydebankJag

23 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think it was Graham Dorrans but he was a loan player for us. I reckon Mo Johnstone may be the last proper Jags player to go on and play for Scotland.

My guess is that Nicky Walker was only capped before playing for us. 

Can't imagine Dorrans was anywhere near the international side playing in the third tier. Walker seems a good shout but got a feeling he was only on the bench. Thought Mo Johnston was at Watford when he got his first cap.

Anyway I'm now the owner of a signed Jags shirt worn by a Scottish international player:)  

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the question was who was the last ex Jag to be capped. As Jack Henry was tonight. Having googled it I'm thinking Nicky Walker may have been capped with us but not after leaving. Billy Dodds and Graham Dorrans both on loan with us. So Mo Johnstone possibly the last player to have been a fully fledged Thistle player, and to have been capped for Scotland after moving on? 

30 minutes ago, allyo said:

Yeah, I think the question was who was the last ex Jag to be capped. As Jack Henry was tonight. Having googled it I'm thinking Nicky Walker may have been capped with us but not after leaving. Billy Dodds and Graham Dorrans both on loan with us. So Mo Johnstone possibly the last player to have been a fully fledged Thistle player, and to have been capped for Scotland after moving on? 

Ah, I see. 

18 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

So Jack Hendry, of Celtic (as I think that influenced the call up), made his international debut for Scotland tonight. It set me thinking as to who was the last ex-Jag who wasn’t here on loan to get a call up for Scotland?

I don't record call-ups so can't be sure but, as others have pointed out, Kenny Arthur (2003) and Scott Fox (2013) made the bench whilst serving Jags.

16 hours ago, allyo said:

You're right with that, it doesn't happen often. From 1970 onwards, 8 non-loanee ex-Jags have went on to win debut caps for Scotland. In order of their international debut they are: Jimmy Bone (1972), Arthur Duncan (1975), Ronnie Glavin (1977), Joe Craig (1977), Alan Hansen (1979), Billy Thomson (1980), Maurice Johnston (1984) and now, the bold Jack.

Thought Jack was excellent last night, extremely assured, and has certainly done enough to win a second cap.

A wee stat to celebrate?

:detective:

Jack Hendry becomes the 132nd man to have played for Thistle and won a full international cap. He's the first player since Derek Whyte to record a clean-sheet on both his Thistle and his international debut.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Thanks 2

These queries tend to get twisted a' roads wi' all sorts of wee caveats. Personally, I don't view loanees differently. The following table shows you all 34 men to have joined the "played for both Thistle and Scotland" club since 1970. They are listed chronologically by date of achieving this distinction.

302qw40.jpg

• Like 1

Our recent (i.e. 35 years) record really isn't too impressive, when you consider that in  last night's game alone, ten Scottish clubs can lay claim to being represented by ex fully-signed players, and when you include loan signings that is increased to 15 clubs.

On 28/03/2018 at 1:04 PM, The Jukebox Rebel said:

You're right with that, it doesn't happen often. From 1970 onwards, 8 non-loanee ex-Jags have went on to win debut caps for Scotland. In order of their international debut they are: Jimmy Bone (1972), Arthur Duncan (1975), Ronnie Glavin (1977), Joe Craig (1977), Alan Hansen (1979), Billy Thomson (1980), Maurice Johnston (1984) and now, the bold Jack.

Fascinating stats throughout this thread TMJ. Quite startling just how few players exist that have been at the Jags and went onto represent Scotland later in their career. When you consider the flow of young players to bigger and better things from clubs like Killie, Motherwell, Dundee, Accies etc it really shows how far off we’ve fallen from our highly productive squads of the early 70s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Fascinating stats throughout this thread TMJ. Quite startling just how few players exist that have been at the Jags and went onto represent Scotland later in their career. When you consider the flow of young players to bigger and better things from clubs like Killie, Motherwell, Dundee, Accies etc it really shows how far off we’ve fallen from our highly productive squads of the early 70s

I suppose the only counter to that would be to mention the number of Jags players over the years who when playing for us hit the peak of their career.  In my mind not as satisfying as seeing youngsters coming thru the team and going on to greater things as those "productive squads of the early seventies". In way of compensation we have had far more than a fair share of great players who played their best football while at Firhill.