Hibernian Vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

Now that the International unpleasantness is out of the way we get back to survival business with a visit to Leith. 

We had a great ten minutes against them on opening day before capitulating to a spirited home side. A scrappy match at Firhill so us fall to the only goal of the match.

Like that last game John McGinn will be missing due to suspension as will their Israeli International goalkeeper Marciano. Apparently there’s doubts over McGeough and Bartley too due to injury and a virus respectively. Linky

Imperative we look to make advantage of this with McCarthy in the middle of the park and a seemingly rejuvenated Adam Barton back in the middle of a three man central defence.

Our Away form is shocking but facing a team with potentially only a couple of half fit midfielders we won’t have a better chance of taking something  positive back west on Saturday evening.

45 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Good to see that they are only charging £22 ! unlike their money grabbing city neighbours who charge £26 for a restricted view.

Would take a draw!!

.... and £12 for a concession compared to £19 is one hell of a difference (roughly 2 pints in Embra (non city centre) prices).

Agree would be chuffed with a draw.  Very little to be optimistic about given Hibs are a superior outfit to the Jambos. Perhaps if we've learned the sharp lessons from Tynecastle plus the inclusion of Sammon just might do the trick?

A stuffy draw with no suspensions or injuries would suit fine, it’s important we stop losing and start getting points on the board.

Everyone of the next 8 games is huge, no more than Tuesday at Dingwall going up there on the back of another defeat with bad performance puts us on the back foot. We need to match Dundee point for point as a minimum till we play them, start to slip further and it’s over.

Id definitely play a back 3 with Barton as sweeper, Elliot & Booth as wing backs, McCarthy& Woods in the hole with Sammon up front

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Unfortunately, where we settle for occasional away draws, our relegation-threatened rivals seem to pull off the odd win.

"Taking a draw right now" looks like relegation talk to me.

We're 2nd bottom, we're already talking relegation talk.  

A fighting point here to give us a bit of a morale boost going into midweek would be a positive in my opinion. 

• Like 1

If Barton isn't playing as sweeper we may as well all leave.. This also must be the same for all remaining fixtures..Achie doesn't do 3-5-2 as he really only likes the 4-2-3-1 but that is getting us nowhere.

Although Erskine has been rank recently his desire and passion to win means I would keep him in and replace with Edwards or Spittal if things aren't going his way.

Woods and Mcarthy in the two defensive midfield slots and both Sammon and Storey up top

Mon the Jags

Edited by Paukea
  • Like 1

Just feels like we have never got going after our top 6 was confirmed last season.We now have to go on a run where we get positive results.Our best run this season was 7 points from 3 unbeaten games,need to do something similar in our next 3 games and get the confidence up for the 5 games post split.Agree with Norgethistle and Paukea regarding the team.

I don't like either 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1.

The deep middle is too congested and the 3 centre backs all want to be the sweeper and leave the ball to one another.

How many defenders do you need to mark a sole striker anyway?

Neither Barton or Osman would get near my team, so there's two less lay-about ball watchers to worry about in any case.

5 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I don't like either 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1.

The deep middle is too congested and the 3 centre backs all want to be the sweeper and leave the ball to one another.

How many defenders do you need to mark a sole striker anyway?

Neither Barton or Osman would get near my team, so there's two less lay-about ball watchers to worry about in any case.

Barton was actually quite good against Hearts showing a willingness to attack the ball and a lot more focussed than in recent performances.

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

*Cerny (spelling?)

2 Wing Backs

*Elliot

*Booth

3 man defence which handles their striker  and the wingers

*Cargill

*Barton bringing ball out and sitting in front when we are on attack

*Devine

2 central midfielders

*Woods

*McCarthy

2 attacking midfielders

*Spital

*Lawless

Striker

*Feed The Fish

I am agreeing with your formation and most of your personnel. If Keown is fully fit, I might prefer him to Devine on the right side of the back 3, but the choice is fairly marginal. No real challenger to Cargill on the left,  but he has to recover well from his uncharacteristically poor showing against Hearts.

My main divergence is in the two behind the striker where I am going for the Thistlehearted passion and guile of Erskine (who did well at Easter Road last time and I think is about to put it all together in a brilliant performance) and the pace of Storey (though he has to calm down, lift his head and find that final cross, pass or shot). If either of these two is off form, Archie has to have the courage to bring someone off early and then indeed go with Spittal and/or Lawless. I think that Spittal just shades it with his free kick ability.

If Edwards does not start, he must come on at half-time, so that we can make the most of the energy boost he brings. Running out of subs, but hopefully Dools can mark his mark again, inspired by his previous wonderful solo goal at Easter Road.

On 28/03/2018 at 3:40 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Unfortunately, where we settle for occasional away draws, our relegation-threatened rivals seem to pull off the odd win.

"Taking a draw right now" looks like relegation talk to me.

Not picking up on your point specifically however this view is exactly the negative talk that this type of season reacts. Sure our away form is poor but by definition those other "relegation threatened rivals" are doing something wrong too. Why do we assume it will be the Jags that will ultimately fail? Let's get behind the team now and have the autopsy after the event.

3 hours ago, Metz said:

Not picking up on your point specifically however this view is exactly the negative talk that this type of season reacts. Sure our away form is poor but by definition those other "relegation threatened rivals" are doing something wrong too. Why do we assume it will be the Jags that will ultimately fail? Let's get behind the team now and have the autopsy after the event.

Our away form is not poor it is terrible.Why do we think we will fail ? Losing 25 points from a winning position doesn't help to install confidence we are not going to fail.The Thistle fans always get behind the team.The fans who have travelled to our away games this season in the league deserve a lot of praise. The views are negative,is it any wonder?But as you say our relegation threatened rivals are doing something wrong to.So if we can get our act together we can still finish above 11th,but that needs to happen now as we are running out of games.