Hibernian Vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

17 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

The lack of posts on this thread since the game is maybe a bit concerning.  Normally there is a healthy debate about the reasons for a loss and suggestions for remedies. Tonight, almost nothing. 

Are people resigned to relegation, or are we growing tired of trotting out the same comments about the team/manager's failings, or maybe both?

I was thinking the exact same thing.Dont think the fans who expected Archie to turn it around can see that happening now.Tuesday for me is a game that will decide who goes down and who will end up in the play offs.

I think it is clear we will now finish in the bottom two. To finish 11th now would be an achievement, however this team don't have the bottle, nerve, or mentality to stay up in a play-off battle with the likes of Livi, Dundee United, Morton, or Dunfermline. As was promised by Maxy all the way back in September, the board should have grown a backbone and sent Archibald packing at Christmas. How he thought that just one addition was needed in January defies belief. I can only think that he wasted his budget in the summer, and there was no money. 

Next two games are huge. Ross County away, and then a red-hot Killie. 

Haven't seen anything of today's game but the result was expected.

Tuesday won't decide where we finish but a win will make it very difficult for Ross Cty to stay up.

3 home games and an away game to St. Johnstone in our last 5 should keep us up.

Dundee are a mess and we could still catch them.

All is not lost, yet.

7 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I think it is clear we will now finish in the bottom two. To finish 11th now would be an achievement, however this team don't have the bottle, nerve, or mentality to stay up in a play-off battle with the likes of Livi, Dundee United, Morton, or Dunfermline. As was promised by Maxy all the way back in September, the board should have grown a backbone and sent Archibald packing at Christmas. How he thought that just one addition was needed in January defies belief. I can only think that he wasted his budget in the summer, and there was no money. 

Every pundit thinks the play off is weighted in the Premier teams favour.Even if we do finish 11th we need to be getting a win or two before the play of so that we have some confidence.We haven't won a league game since January when we won in Perth.We have had 2 chances to give ourselves some breathing space, if we had beat Dundee and got something at Hamilton and blew them both.Tuesday is our last chance to try and pull away from bottom place and bring Dundee and Hamilton back into it.

3 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Haven't seen anything of today's game but the result was expected.

Tuesday won't decide where we finish but a win will make it very difficult for Ross Cty to stay up.

3 home games and an away game to St. Johnstone in our last 5 should keep us up.

Dundee are a mess and we could still catch them.

All is not lost, yet.

Dundee are a mess?What does that say about us? Dundee are 3points ahead of us with a game in hand and they have beaten us in the last 2 games we have played each other. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Dundee are a mess?What does that say about us? Dundee are 3points ahead of us with a game in hand and they have beaten us in the last 2 games we have played each other. 

They've also lost 4-0 and 4-1 at home to St. Johnstone and Ross Cty in recent weeks and have a manager serving a 2 game ban for fighting.

We are 1 of 4 teams that can argue they've not had a great season.

We're still in the mix and are > 50% to not finish bottom.

Win on Tuesday and we'll be > 85% to not finish bottom.

Completely made the maths up btw, but feel it's close to this.

I don't yet see this season as a complete write off.

Our team is crap. It has been crap since they crept into the top six last season. The current team's stats show shat their performances are down there with some of the worst runs in the club's entire history. The team is slow, unexciting, non-creative, turgid, and collapses with alarming regularity. There is no sign of any of that changing, and it looks to many people that the downward spiral is not going to stop. 

That is why there is a lack of interest/enthusiasm from many normally interested/enthusiastic people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

There's two sides to this of course and I'm not really qualified to talk about one of them as I haven't been to a game yet this season.

I do feel for the fans that go and watch the team live and pay good money to be extremely disappointed with results and style of play.

I do however, not care how we stay up, as long as we do just that.

I've spent too many of my years following Thistle in lower leagues and will easily forgive them for this season when all is said and done.

Others may find that more difficult to do, having watched them live every week. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

They've also lost 4-0 and 4-1 at home to St. Johnstone and Ross Cty in recent weeks and have a manager serving a 2 game ban for fighting.

We are 1 of 4 teams that can argue they've not had a great season.

We're still in the mix and are > 50% to not finish bottom.

Win on Tuesday and we'll be > 85% to not finish bottom.

Completely made the maths up btw, but feel it's close to this.

I don't yet see this season as a complete write off.

2 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

There's two sides to this of course and I'm not really qualified to talk about one of them as I haven't been to a game yet this season.

I do feel for the fans that go and watch the team live and pay good money to be extremely disappointed with results and style of play.

I do however, not care how we stay up, as long as we do just that.

I've spent too many of my years following Thistle in lower leagues and will easily forgive them for this season when all is said and done.

Others may find that more difficult to do, having watched them live every week. 

I agree with you about Dundee being poor,but we were the last team that they won against at Dens and we were they last team they beat away when they won 2-1 at Firhill. I also agree with you about staying up as I like a lot of our fans have spent to many years following Thistle in the lower leagues and I also don't think we would bounce straight back up either. But if we were to go down I would still follow Thistle.

47 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

You are beyond contempt as a fan. The majority of us are very  frustrated at the way the season has gone but you seem to be reveling in a poor end to the season for the team.  Our fate is very much still in our hands let's hope the team see us safe in the coming games.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Metz said:

You are beyond contempt as a fan. The majority of us are very  frustrated at the way the season has gone but you seem to be reveling in a poor end to the season for the team.  Our fate is very much still in our hands let's hope the team see us safe in the coming games.

Absolutely not at the end of the season. I called it during the split last April that we would be relegation candidates this year. The only thing I am reveling in is the delusion of many on here that Archibald is suddenly going to SatNav us out of the dead-end he's driven us into. We have been shocking all season, and if anyone seriously thinks that we are miraculously going to improve enough over the next 7 games to see us safe, they are kidding themselves on. 

And for the whole contemptible thing, believe me when I say that I have attended the vast majority of games both home and away over the past decade to cheer this club on. I am well and truly entitled to vent my frustration with a manger whose status at this club has given him more leeway than many boards would tolerate.  

• Like 1

Barton, McGinn and Elliot were very good today and Sammon gave them a lot of trouble.

But we will win no games unless we score the odd goal and there was no creativity at all. Lawless, Erskine and Spittal have let us all down as they are the ones who, being supposedly attacking mids have provided nothing for weeks.

Hopefully Chris will play vs County and show us that he is not finished.

Devine’s sending off was extreme stupidity. Childish. Incompetent. Disrespectful. Go away. Don’t come back. A microcosm of why we are in deep trouble.

Finally, to complete a miserable day, there was a moron behind me chanting ‘effing Tory t*sser’ continually.  Please don’t bring politics into football. Thistle need all the support they can get. I don’t care if they’re Communist, Nationalist, Tory, Labour. All welcome!!! That’s what is great about PTFC. To you sir, shut it and be constructive.

Mind you,  after  the 69th minute I would’ve called Mr Ross any name under the sun because the f•cker is useless and cost us 3 points(maybe)

How bad was Osmans marking at Hibs second goal against Paul Hanlon ? Yet again Archie can’t make the big decisions, Abdul shouldn’t be anywhere near the team as he’s cost us goals by not doing his job properly ,Dundee at home , Rangers at home etc #liability 

Edited by jlsarmy

I didn't go but just watched the 2nd half on Jagzone.

Observations:

- Disallowed goal: wasn't it put over the line by Devine, in which case it's not offside? I don't think Storey - despite going for the ball - interfered as he wasn't in front of the Hibs defender.

- Goal 1: Cargill too slow, Devine lost his man again.

- Goal 2: Osman too bothered about fouling his man, as usual. Scully's attempt to save it reminded me a lot of junior league goals I've seen this season. Slow, loopy headers that don't go in the corner and bounce in the goal before they hit the net should not be going in in the Premier Division. Why do we still have Ryan Scully?

- Devine Sending-off: Yellow card. 

- General: Devine boots the ball away/up in the air every time it comes to him. He is playing League One (Scottish) football in the Premier Division. Cargill also looks slack on the ball most of the time.  

It was better than Hearts and until the goal was chalked off I thought we were good value for a point. 

The heads went after that and you knew Hibs would score a second. 

County is a must win midweek. If we can sneak it that means Dundee & Hamilton are looking over their shoulders again. 

Looks to me Christie was chosen ahead of Booth (and Penrice) to counter Boyle's pace. Thought Elliott did well in that role for much of the match but it was far easier to see his contribution in the first half from the away stand. He  also stuck in a few decent right foot crosses.  What I thought kinda alarming was that with a 3-5-2 (for all intents and purposes a 5-3-2) switching Christie was deemed necessary. McGinn is an alright fullback but not exactly an ideal wingback.

It's all very well playing a 3-5-2 to accommodate Barton (who incidentally had a good game yesterday) but we really need two wingbacks, both playing on their stronger side, and playing as proper wingbacks. 

13 hours ago, Big Col said:

Maybe it's a case of if the team don't give a f**k, why should the fans?

I feel that way at the moment, but it's obvious that penty do care and are hurting at the moment. I take my hat off to the guys who have consistently turned up all season to watch this dross and been let down dreadfully for most of their travels.

Didn’t go due to battery problems? However listened on Jags Zone and as soon as our ‘goal’ was disallowed I thought to myself what’s the betting Hibs go right up the park and score and then they’ll get another one soon after!

it’s the fact that it’s all too predictable with our team, half the time at least you could predict the score without seeing any of the game? I’ll be off to Dingwalll at any rate to see if it’s the beginning of the end for our top flight ambitions or more light the end of the beginning?

13 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Barton, McGinn and Elliot were very good today and Sammon gave them a lot of trouble.

But we will win no games unless we score the odd goal and there was no creativity at all. Lawless, Erskine and Spittal have let us all down as they are the ones who, being supposedly attacking mids have provided nothing for weeks.

Hopefully Chris will play vs County and show us that he is not finished.

Devine’s sending off was extreme stupidity. Childish. Incompetent. Disrespectful. Go away. Don’t come back. A microcosm of why we are in deep trouble.

Finally, to complete a miserable day, there was a moron behind me chanting ‘effing Tory t*sser’ continually.  Please don’t bring politics into football. Thistle need all the support they can get. I don’t care if they’re Communist, Nationalist, Tory, Labour. All welcome!!! That’s what is great about PTFC. To you sir, shut it and be constructive.

Mind you,  after  the 69th minute I would’ve called Mr Ross any name under the sun because the f•cker is useless and cost us 3 points(maybe)

I’d say Storey has let us down far more than Spittal - Spittal is the youngest regular player in the team (penrice and McCarthy are not regulars though they should be) I wasn’t expecting an incredible season from him but despite being both younger, less experienced and played at a poorer level he has still scored 3 times the amount of Storey and let’s not forget he has also been played out of  position in some games.

i thought Storey was a brilliant signing- the fact he was beaten for pace by Berra a couple of weeks ago sums for a very disappointinng season from him