Hibernian Vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

We fought a lot better yesterday than I had seen for a while. We still lacked any attacking threat though. I counted one good chance from Sammon aside from the dubious chopped off goal. Hibs, minus McGinn looked very ordinary, but were streetwise enough to grind out a win in a scrappy game.

I'd have said pre-season that a strike force of Doolan, Storey and Sammon would be good enough to earn you 8th or 9th in this league. I've no idea how Storey had that season at Inverness, hes basically Azeez mark 2, with probably less of a physical presence. Brainless footballer who can play at 100 mph and nothing else. We are lowest scorers in the league and haven't scored from open play in four games. 

Time the likes of Osman move on as well. Looks a shadow of the player he was. Was very lucky not to get himself sent off in the 1st half for a needless two footed tackle.

This last calendar year pretty much now has been utterly miserable. Crap results, crap football. Winnable game on Tuesday at least....

16 hours ago, CotterJag said:

They've also lost 4-0 and 4-1 at home to St. Johnstone and Ross Cty in recent weeks and have a manager serving a 2 game ban for fighting.

We are 1 of 4 teams that can argue they've not had a great season.

We're still in the mix and are > 50% to not finish bottom.

Win on Tuesday and we'll be > 85% to not finish bottom.

Completely made the maths up btw, but feel it's close to this.

I don't yet see this season as a complete write off.

The same Dundee that got a point (should have won) against hearts,

The same Dundee that had as many shots on target today as we’ve had in our last 3 games combined 

Dundee & Accies are better teams than us this season, our results against them and league standings (not to mention form guide) demonstrate that clearly

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

The same Dundee that had as many shots on target today as we’ve had in our last 3 games combined 

Dundee & Accies are better teams than us this season, our results against them and league standings (not to mention form guide) demonstrate that clearly

Spot on. Tuesday night's game is the biggest since the Morton game. If we won't I believe that it will set Ross County for automatic relegation. And then the Dynamics change for the bottom six battles. A defeat and I think we won't come back from that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Fine, but what would you be saying about Thistle if we went a goal up and played as well as Dundee today only to draw? Even though it was more Hearts having an off day.

Sh4t the bed. Always lose a lead. Point no good at home. Can't take our chances. etc. etc. 

I agree about Hamilton deserving to stay up and have said previously they will feel unlucky this season.

Dundee and Ross Cty are poor and we have every chance of finishing above them both.

I don't really care that Dundee may have played marginally better than us over 30 or so games.

We're only 4 points behind them and have 7 games to go.

25 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

I agree about Hamilton deserving to stay up and have said previously they will feel unlucky this season.

I'm not too sure. My uncertainty stems from the advantage they may gain from their playing surface.  Have been saying the same thing  for a long while regardless of where we've been in the league.

5 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Fine, but what would you be saying about Thistle if we went a goal up and played as well as Dundee today only to draw? Even though it was more Hearts having an off day.

Sh4t the bed. Always lose a lead. Point no good at home. Can't take our chances. etc. etc. 

Dundee and Ross Cty are poor and we have every chance of finishing above them both.

I don't really care that Dundee may have played marginally better than us over 30 or so games.

Dundee were a goal down after 2 minutes on our form this season we would have ended up losing the game if that happened to us.We have had chances to put pressure on Dundee and Hamilton but we blew it when we lost the games against them after being in the lead.We will only finish in 10th if we go on a run of positive results.You say we have 7 games to go and only 4 points behind Dundee,in our last 7 games we have picked up 1 point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

The table and recent form doesn’t lie, on 31 games they are a better team than us, they lost a goal and responded by equalizing and trying to win.

we lose a goal and normally we lose another, Tuesday is massive not only for points but physiologically as well, lose it and we’re down.

its all well saying Dundee are poor, but so are we, 1 point from last 7 games says we’re dugshit this season

Edited by Norgethistle

Devine seems to have got away lightly by the fans considering the abuse dished out to Osman at Tynecastle for apparently looking like he was trying to get sent off.  Devine's first yellow was ridiculous, if he had carried on back to his position he wouldn't have got booked. As for his second, what a stupid and pointless foul when he's already had a yellow.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm not too sure. My uncertainty stems from the advantage they may gain from their playing surface.  Have been saying the same thing  for a long while regardless of where we've been in the league.

I'm sure they gain an advantage but bet that most players would choose grass rather than any advantage gained on that terrible surface.

I'd ban it personally.

I can't remember if it was at home or not, but remember thinking Hamilton have dropped points and would feel aggrieved in doing so. Particularly earlier in the season.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, Auld Jag said:

Dundee were a goal down after 2 minutes on our form this season we would have ended up losing the game if that happened to us.We have had chances to put pressure on Dundee and Hamilton but we blew it when we lost the games against them after being in the lead.We will only finish in 10th if we go on a run of positive results.You say we have 7 games to go and only 4 points behind Dundee,in our last 7 games we have picked up 1 point.

Realised that after watching the highlights... Looked like a game of two halfs really.

I don't think I really disagree with much of what is being said, but, and don't ask me why, take a more positive approach with the upcoming games.

Dundee have two difficult games that should hopefully mean zero points.

We have the bottom team away and Killie at home.

Both extremely difficult given our form but a draw in Dingwall and a home win on Saturday are not out f the question.

Imagine how the table will look then going in to the last 5 games. 

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, Norgethistle said:

The table and recent form doesn’t lie, on 31 games they are a better team than us, they lost a goal and responded by equalizing and trying to win.

we lose a goal and normally we lose another, Tuesday is massive not only for points but physiologically as well, lose it and we’re down.

its all well saying Dundee are poor, but so are we, 1 point from last 7 games says we’re dugshit this season

Hard to disagree and may well be on the same band wagon at 4.50 on Saturday.

Until then, I dream of 4 points and a rousing finish to a season I'll never choose to look back on.

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

Devine seems to have got away lightly by the fans considering the abuse dished out to Osman at Tynecastle for apparently looking like he was trying to get sent off.  Devine's first yellow was ridiculous, if he had carried on back to his position he wouldn't have got booked. As for his second, what a stupid and pointless foul when he's already had a yellow.

Devine should be released by the club asap, regardless of where we play next season. Osman too.

On 01/04/2018 at 12:28 AM, Yellow & Redneck said:

Absolutely not at the end of the season. I called it during the split last April that we would be relegation candidates this year. The only thing I am reveling in is the delusion of many on here that Archibald is suddenly going to SatNav us out of the dead-end he's driven us into. We have been shocking all season, and if anyone seriously thinks that we are miraculously going to improve enough over the next 7 games to see us safe, they are kidding themselves on. 

And for the whole contemptible thing, believe me when I say that I have attended the vast majority of games both home and away over the past decade to cheer this club on. I am well and truly entitled to vent my frustration with a manger whose status at this club has given him more leeway than many boards would tolerate.  

Only just got round to reading this drivel. You seriously trying to claim that at the peak of our highest league position for many a year you predicted we would be relegated.

We have more than our fair share of negative f***ers but for tonight step forward as you are our princess for tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metz said:

Only just got round to reading this drivel. You seriously trying to claim that at the peak of our highest league position for many a year you predicted we would be relegated.

We have more than our fair share of negative f***ers but for tonight step forward as you are our princess for tonight.

You are one sanctimonious frump, aren't you Metz? Can't put my finger on why your opinions are so unpopular on here at the moment. 

And the answer is yes, I did call that we would be relegated when we completely capitulated post-split. Anyone who didn't have their heads in the clouds, or up Archie's backside could have called it. And the nail on the coffin was Archie's disgraceful transfer activity that refused to replace the players we lost with those of comparable ability. Sorry for the terse reply Metz, but people would at least respect your opinions more if you did not have this holier-than-thou attitude. 

6 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

You are one sanctimonious frump, aren't you Metz? Can't put my finger on why your opinions are so unpopular on here at the moment. 

And the answer is yes, I did call that we would be relegated when we completely capitulated post-split. Anyone who didn't have their heads in the clouds, or up Archie's backside could have called it. And the nail on the coffin was Archie's disgraceful transfer activity that refused to replace the players we lost with those of comparable ability. Sorry for the terse reply Metz, but people would at least respect your opinions more if you did not have this holier-than-thou attitude. 

The problem with your posts is that you have decided that there is only one reason for our situation and that is Archie. No thought that maybe we tried to get better players in but that they didn’t want to come or got better deals elsewhere. No thought that injuries to key players could have an impact. No thought that the tough start we had could have such a lasting effect.(County had a similar set of fixtures).

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The problem with your posts is that you have decided that there is only one reason for our situation and that is Archie. No thought that maybe we tried to get better players in but that they didn’t want to come or got better deals elsewhere. No thought that injuries to key players could have an impact. No thought that the tough start we had could have such a lasting effect.(County had a similar set of fixtures).

In football managers carry responsibility for the teams performance.....it might be unfair but that’s the way it is.....also you can change the manager more easily ......better mangers than ours have found that out ..... our manager is currently the worst in the league 

26 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Really enjoyed that game yesterday. We played some great football, the heads didn't go down and we more than merited a draw at least. All bodes well for the next 5 games. What a difference a goal would make to the mindset of the team.

I thought Elliott, McCarthy and Lawless were miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch. Elliott typifies everything we need to get us off the foot of the table. McCarthy plays without fear and cruised through the game. Lawless had one of those games where everything came off for him.

Only criticism I have is we didn't go two up top. But I can see why he didn't change from 4231 as it was working perfectly well. 

Hopefully we get Dundee or Hamilton first and get a win to really pull them right into this. We are more than able of getting out of it.

You know that score as well as the rest of us: a goal scored will most likely directly result in at least one goal conceded.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

In football managers carry responsibility for the teams performance.....it might be unfair but that’s the way it is.....also you can change the manager more easily ......better mangers than ours have found that out ..... our manager is currently the worst in the league 

Carrying the can is different from being to blame

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Carrying the can is different from being to blame

True. Far more of a general point but chairmen, chief executives, MDs or so called directors of football continually select managers/coaches who they inevitably sack. They rarely get held to account for their poor selection abilities. Can't think of another industry where continually choosing the wrong employee would be tolerated.