Ross County 3/4/18

Auld Jag

Tuesdays game imo is a must win game for us. I know a draw means we are still 3points ahead but we win we are 6 points ahead and I don't see Ross County coming back.With the games Dundee have away to the 2 arse cheeks a win for us on Tuesday and if we managed to get something at Firhill on Saturday we would be putting pressure on Dundee.Team wise I would bring Booth in for McGinn,Keown for Devine,Woods for Osman and Doolan for Storey.I would also consider Erskine for Edwards.

I think almost as important as the result will be the way the team play, and the way Alan Archibald manages the game. 

The forecast is dire, with heavy rain all day, so the pitch will be heavy and tiring, and the timing of substitutions will therefore be crucial.   We need to increase the tempo, especially in midfield, and selection and subs should be made to achieve that for the whole 90 minutes.  Maybe the glut of late goals conceded is at least partly down to players tiring, and that needs to be uppermost in Archie's mind - pick your fittest team and substitute early and often.

If the team play well, and the game is well managed, a loss need not be catastrophic, but a loss from a lacklustre performance with poor substitutions will be a disaster.

Got to go for it on Tuesday 

my team would be Cerny if fit , my 3 at the back would be Cargill, Barton and Elliott, two fullbacks Booth and McGinn, McCarthy and Woods holding midfielders , Erskine and Edwards further forward supporting Doolan

I can’t remember the last time we started the same starting eleven, obviously this will continue onto Tuesday’s match. We played okay for the first 60-70 minutes vs Hibs but again we only created two or three chances when in top. Hibs scored then it all went to pot. The mentality of the team is decidedly fragile. 

A massive game, not only for the three points at stake but also for restoring some of the shattered confidence and building for the KFC and post split games.

5 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I think almost as important as the result will be the way the team play, and the way Alan Archibald manages the game. 

The forecast is dire, with heavy rain all day, so the pitch will be heavy and tiring, and the timing of substitutions will therefore be crucial.   We need to increase the tempo, especially in midfield, and selection and subs should be made to achieve that for the whole 90 minutes.  Maybe the glut of late goals conceded is at least partly down to players tiring, and that needs to be uppermost in Archie's mind - pick your fittest team and substitute early and often.

If the team play well, and the game is well managed, a loss need not be catastrophic, but a loss from a lacklustre performance with poor substitutions will be a disaster.

It would be good to play well and win.But the position we are in the result is the most important thing.Would settle for a not great performance but us getting a victory.

Have to agree on the must win nature of this game on so many levels numerical and psychological for us and the three other teams in the relegation mix. Could also have added geographical as putting ourselves 6 points ahead of Ross County and right in there behind Hamilton and Dundee totally transforms the landscape.

Finding some positives in recalling how many of our squad have put the ball in the net in Dingwall. Without having to think too hard, I can recall at least 4 goals there for Thistle by Kris Doolan, 3 by Chris Erskine (plus one in a penalty shoot out), 2 by Stevie Lawless, and one by Blair Spittal.  Cannot be absolutely certain on this one, but pretty sure Spittal scored a free kick there for Dundee United in a cup tie, and maybe Squiddy scored there for the Tangerines as well. I would suspect that Martin Woods must have netted a few times in home matches when he played for County, and possibly Miles Storey and Conor Sammon will have scored in Dingwall in their respective spells with Inverness and Kilmarnock.

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Have to agree on the must win nature of this game on so many levels numerical and psychological for us and the three other teams in the relegation mix. Could also have added geographical as putting ourselves 6 points ahead of Ross County and right in there behind Hamilton and Dundee totally transforms the landscape.

Finding some positives in recalling how many of our squad have put the ball in the net in Dingwall. Without having to think too hard, I can recall at least 4 goals there for Thistle by Kris Doolan, 3 by Chris Erskine (plus one in a penalty shoot out), 2 by Stevie Lawless, and one by Blair Spittal.  Cannot be absolutely certain on this one, but pretty sure Spittal scored a free kick there for Dundee United in a cup tie, and maybe Squiddy scored there for the Tangerines as well. I would suspect that Martin Woods must have netted a few times in home matches when he played for County, and possibly Miles Storey and Conor Sammon will have scored in Dingwall in their respective spells with Inverness and Kilmarnock.

Lets hope some of these players add to their Dingwall goals tally on Tuesday night.

We must win this, no looking for a draw. This game will go a long way to define what league we are in next season.

My fear is we lose an early goal and totally capitulate as the pressure cracks us, keep it tight and play the game in their half, we will need 11 fighters on that park with no passengers 

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We must win this, no looking for a draw. This game will go a long way to define what league we are in next season.

My fear is we lose an early goal and totally capitulate as the pressure cracks us, keep it tight and play the game in their half, we will need 11 fighters on that park with no passengers 

Exactly.We must show fight ,organisation,a will to win and mental toughness. Qualities we haven't shown enough this season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eljaggo said:

...Maybe the glut of late goals conceded is at least partly down to players tiring, and that needs to be uppermost in Archie's mind - pick your fittest team and substitute early and often...

The triumph of hope (for a change in game management) over actual experience?

I'm afraid you're right Fearcher. 

My post was a valiant attempt to try to salvage something if things go wrong, hanging on the thread of County having apparently more difficult fixtures, and also building some confidence for possible play-offs. 

Deep down however I think a win is probably a must to avoid the drop.

15 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to go for it on Tuesday 

my team would be Cerny if fit , my 3 at the back would be Cargill, Barton and Elliott, two fullbacks Booth and McGinn, McCarthy and Woods holding midfielders , Erskine and Edwards further forward supporting Doolan

I'd take this but have Keown in at back 3 with Elliot as RWB replacing McGinn.

Lets get Dools back.

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I think it's just a general point that we seem to lose two goals when Ryan is in goal...

Weve lost 52 goals in 31 league games, cannot blame Scully for that.

More worrying is the goals for 26 in 31

Were conceding 2 goals for every goal we score, that in itself screams relegation 

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

Weve lost 52 goals in 31 league games, cannot blame Scully for that.

More worrying is the goals for 26 in 31

Were conceding 2 goals for every goal we score, that in itself screams relegation 

Nobody is blaming Scully. He just tends to lose near to two goals a game since we've been in the top flight. 

The 2:1 goal ratio isn't a surprise as we create half as many chances as the opposition this season.

The only positive stat we have going into this is that we've not been beaten by County this season. On the other hand they're the only team that hasn't beat us this season...

3 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Nobody is blaming Scully. He just tends to lose near to two goals a game since we've been in the top flight. 

The 2:1 goal ratio isn't a surprise as we create half as many chances as the opposition this season.

The only positive stat we have going into this is that we've not been beaten by County this season. On the other hand they're the only team that hasn't beat us this season...

I’ve just read the stats update that the jukebox rebel does, attack wise this team is on course to be the worst on record (Currently held by Murder McClown)

our defensive stats are atrocious as are Devine’s discipliniary record

33 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I’ve just read the stats update that the jukebox rebel does, attack wise this team is on course to be the worst on record (Currently held by Murder McClown)

our defensive stats are atrocious as are Devine’s discipliniary record

Yup, that was stark reading.