Ross County 3/4/18

Auld Jag

Massive swing against Thistle tonight, the revised probabilities of finishing bottom according to the pro layers at Ladbrokes / Coral are:

50.22% - Ross County
36.62% - Partick Thistle
7.99% - Dundee
5.17% - Hamilton

I guess the fact we still have to play County at Firhill keeps them favourites for the bottom spot as things stand.

Was at game tonight   - score did not reflect the game wholly but county were up for it and Jags poorer than ever and never looked like scoring

Scully just wont stop what Cerny might and Barton was 'stand out poor' and utterly guilty for the third goal that ended the contest

Change is needed starting from the top sadly and if we are relegated (which after this evening looks most likely) AA has to fall on his sword

Just watched the highlights on BBC web site.Every goal was preventable.From keeper being beaten far to easily for the first,Scully flapping and also 4 Thistle players on goal line doing nothing for second,big punt up the park from Fox for third and one two and player running into our box unchallenged for fourth.This game was not like the last 5 games of last season that didn't matter,it mattered but our players looked like they couldn't care less.

Edited by Auld Jag

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Just watched the highlights on BBC web site.Every goal was preventable.From keeper being beaten far to easily for the first,Scully flapping and also 4 Thistle players on goal line doing nothing for second,big punt up the park from Fox for third and one two and player running into our box unchallenged for fourth.This game was not like the last 5 games of last season that didn't matter,it mattered but our players looked like they couldn't care less.

They didn't even look particularly disappointed or dejected when the goals went in.

It's as if they're thinking "I'm better than this, and my agent's getting me outta here at the end of the season."

Well, they aren't better than this, and I truly hope that most of them will be off soon, regardless of where we end up.

• Like 1

The board should step in, but is too distracted to concentrate on results. Archie should resign, but won't admit his approach (Doolan's bench-warming for years, the ineffective play on the wings, lone striker, etc.) has failed.  The players have the ability to get themselves out of this mess, but won't because they have no leader on or off the park, and have lost their team spirit.

Ross County would win at Firhill too. Unless there is a big upheaval, relegation is inevitable.

It was a horrible result for us, but we still have it within our gift to avoid relegation.

Whatever your views on managerial changes that may or may not be required, some of the vitriol directed towards Archie on this thread is appalling. He has served this club well over the years and got us into the top flight. How anyone can call him a ‘shitebag’ is beyond me. 

• Like 5

First 30 minutes we were better team then it all fell apart. Interestingly the 2 County management team were out very animated . They even berated one of their players for rolling about in centre spot feigning injury telling him to get back up with play. Archie was usual folded arms and quiet , dont think Scot came out of dugout. At one point Archie went back and sat in dugout . They seemed resigned to far too early on .  A small group of fanss turned on the players and were chanting were going down toward the end and Archie out. Never good to see this but can understand there frustration. Its as toothles a display as I have seen in 50 years watching thistle , very little fight or determination. As a long standing fan I live in optimism they can do a miracle but not confident .

• Sad 1

I don't know how this season has ended up like it has.

I can't blame Archies signings as he has made good and bad like all managers do. Sir Alex Ferguson and Djemba Djemba?

I can't blame the quality of the squad as it's a strong selection there.

I can't blame not playing Dools as he is carrying an injury which they are trying to protect.

The league has got harder with Killie and Hibs a big improvement on last year.

Our finances have remained the same with a stable club but small fanbase.

The only thing we can do as a club is SUPPORT.  Their confidence and morale are low.  Archie will stay to the end which we all need to accept.

The team feed off the fans.  When Scotland equalised against England last year the crowd changed and literally carried them up the park through the atmosphere.   We can act the cliched West of Scotland male/female looking down on things, ready to criticise and put people down or we try our best to stay in the league and show WE LOVE THE CLUB, THE BADGE, THE HISTORY. Maybe not the team or staff but THE CLUB.

I'd love some of the louder more hardcore fans (I'm a season ticket holder but a clapper and ocassionaly join in singing) to organise something to galvanise the crowd.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sandy said:

It was a horrible result for us, but we still have it within our gift to avoid relegation.

Whatever your views on managerial changes that may or may not be required, some of the vitriol directed towards Archie on this thread is appalling. He has served this club well over the years and got us into the top flight. How anyone can call him a ‘shitebag’ is beyond me. 

Archie’s record since the playoffs last season would have got any other manager sacked long ago....what he did in the past is irrelevant today......there should be no personal abuse he did  a good job for a period but we are now hurtling towards relegation .... a managerial change is the only chance we have 

your defence of him isn’t even half hearted 

Watched highlights and though scully could have done better for the 1st 3 goals (along with most of the defence), Barton also culpable in a couple but his attitude at the 4th when he didnt mark properly and gave up in the box just letting the player run away from him is shocking defending, he shouldn't get near a thistle Jersey again.

10 hours ago, Fearchar said:

It's the board's tactics of splitting the fans' stake that has removed the safety net. Your handle explains how.

safety net, are you serious? the jags trust has always been a wee club for folk who seem to think they are the chosen ones and have a say in running a football club. they are nothing more than a wee supporters club of self important people

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaggot said:

Was at game tonight   - score did not reflect the game wholly but county were up for it and Jags poorer than ever and never looked like scoring

Scully just wont stop what Cerny might and Barton was 'stand out poor' and utterly guilty for the third goal that ended the contest

Change is needed starting from the top sadly and if we are relegated (which after this evening looks most likely) AA has to fall on his sword

Not Keown for the third, who completely misjudged it and ended up letting the ball drift over his head?

35 minutes ago, sb1876 said:

Watched highlights and though scully could have done better for the 1st 3 goals (along with most of the defence), Barton also culpable in a couple but his attitude at the 4th when he didnt mark properly and gave up in the box just letting the player run away from him is shocking defending, he shouldn't get near a thistle Jersey again.

Seen highlights now and totally agree. Thought since most were given longer contracts they would be settled and be a team unit, but something is not right with the attitude, and it is showing.

At 4-0 the County players were still working harder, chasing faster and tackling harder than our team.

As highlighted on Sportsound, we have no leader in the middle of the park. 

Sammon must be thinking, why am I bothering, the guy chased down everything and got no support at all. So many times in the second half Elliott looked up to cross and Sammon was the only option in the box.

Scilly is so slow going down for the first. 8ve no idea what the hell he was flapping at for the second. But the fact the ball had made it that far across the 6 yard line unchallenged is worrying.

The third, Keown commits, out of position and is nowhere near winning the ball. 

The fourth Barton gets skinned.

As a team they were gutless. In the middle of the park powederpuff. Storey is a poor man's McConalogue. 

Pat on the back for Elliott and McGinn who didn't stop, but were continually pushed back and Cargill who at least tried to play the ball on the deck. As opposed to everyone else who just hoofed it aimlessly.

We have no centre midfield and no movement up front. 

Anyone think they'll cancel Player of the Year event!! feel sorry for anyone who's bought a ticket.

Just woke up hoping that debacle last night was a bad dream! 12 hour round trip for what?

Still can't believe it! Attitude was really appaling, thought they would come out all guns blazing in second half - professionals??

Just hope they don't come out with the usual glib interviews - but not holding my breath!

54 minutes ago, sandy said:

Agreed with your "shitebag" comment, but I'm sorry to have to agree with those who want him to leave now. 

He has been there since probably January because of the sentiment attached to his playing days, but his decision making, his inflexibility and his repeated mistakes have been his undoing.  I see no point in delaying his departure until the end of the season - the players need an injection of new ideas and direction, and the fans will respond to a new manager.  Appointing a new manager now would also give him time to assess things before the close season transfer market opens.

I would like to see a young manager appointed who would make use of the academy.  Reduced budgets if we are relegated (which is eminently avoidable) would mean a greater reliance on young players rather than old, affordable hands.  This could be an opportunity to take the club down a different path to the one chosen by Alan Archibald, encourage continued involvement by the Weirs, and build a good young team that will play more exciting football than the turgid stuff provided for the last few years. 

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights, what a total and utter mess. All of the goals preventable and it looked like a lack of desire throughout the 90 minutes. The fact that Osman continues to start, let alone be our so called captain is a joke. The guy will be playing National League North next season if he is lucky. I have to question this best squad in forty years nonsense. Reflecting back on last season is anyone surprised by this one? For most of the season, apart from a good spell in February and March we were dreadful. The results post split should have been a wake up call to majorly refresh the team but sadly we have kept with the same players while the teams around us have upgraded. I would let Archibald see it out and then change it for next season whatever happens. 

Last nights result capped off what has been a truly awful season. lowest goals scored and most conceded usually points towards relegation. i can take getting beat if we have put 100% into the match but far too many times this season we have simple accepted defeat. Players have zero confidence and Archie has to take the blame for that aspect.  I know managers dont need to constantly shout and waive their arms like a madman but if i was player i know what i would prefer between a manager standing with arms folded/sitting on the bench or one who was right there with you. 

2 hours ago, sandy said:

The term used is too strong. I apologise for that. Just let's say he lacked ambition or courage to go for it last night. The team he put out last night was a team not to lose. We don't have the players for that. Why Booth and McCarthy were on bench is beyond me. Osman has offered nothing this season. McGinn is a defending right back, not a wing back , like Elliott. Why move him to left back when you have Booth and Penrice?

Storey is being played out of position on the wing. Three ball players on the bench in Erskine,Lawless and Spittal. 

We are offering nothing in response to our opponents. 

When we fall behind you know we are done. 

Archie's recruitment, particularly, in January awaiting the injured players coming back has backfired spectacularly.

Archie just doesn't know his best side. And that tells a story that he has lost it. The signs have been there for months over Archie. The board have been too loyal in this respect.

I don't think we will get out of this as we are in a bad spiral downwards and there are no signs of anything happening to halt it. I believe Archie will be here until the end of the season. If we go down, he must surely walk away. If we stay up and he stays, he will have to totally re- evaulate himself and his squad toremain in this league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

safety net, are you serious? the jags trust has always been a wee club for folk who seem to think they are the chosen ones and have a say in running a football club. they are nothing more than a wee supporters club of self important people

This deserves another thread, but without independent fans' representation the board is just another group of small-time businessmen dabbling in their part-time hobby - no different from the run-of-the-mill clubs in the 2nd or 3rd divisions.

How could it be different? The majority of Bundesliga clubs are subject to the 50+1 (percentage) rule, meaning that fans have the biggest representation, and their attitude filters through the whole of German football. (Recently I watched an U19 match in Germany, where Scotland v Norway was largely hoofball, which contrasted with the local amateur side I've seen play there [their home ground] more often, whose play is much more sophisticated and more entertaining. In many respects the facilities are superior to Firhill's. The problems in Scottish football are not restricted to our club.)

Ultimately, it's not about particular groups, but about whether fans are to be allowed to influence the club they support or not. There are alternatives - across the Clyde, for example.

Edited by Fearchar

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

The term used is too strong. I apologise for that. Just let's say he lacked ambition or courage to go for it last night. The team he put out last night was a team not to lose. We don't have the players for that. Why Booth and McCarthy were on bench is beyond me. Osman has offered nothing this season. McGinn is a defending right back, not a wing back , like Elliott. Why move him to left back when you have Booth and Penrice?

Storey is being played out of position on the wing. Three ball players on the bench in Erskine,Lawless and Spittal. 

We are offering nothing in response to our opponents. 

When we fall behind you know we are done. 

Archie's recruitment, particularly, in January awaiting the injured players coming back has backfired spectacularly.

Archie just doesn't know his best side. And that tells a story that he has lost it. The signs have been there for months over Archie. The board have been too loyal in this respect.

I don't think we will get out of this as we are in a bad spiral downwards and there are no signs of anything happening to halt it. I believe Archie will be here until the end of the season. If we go down, he must surely walk away. If we stay up and he stays, he will have to totally re- evaulate himself and his squad toremain in this league.

Storey was played upfront with Sammon last night. He was shite.

Lawless has been shite this season and carried and injury. Erskine has been shite this season and carried an injury. Spittal I really don't know if he can play in a team that needs to fight and scrap. 

Of course he knows what his best side is, what a fckin ridiculous statement. The reason he might not be able to play it is due to various circumstances, injury, form, opposition.

1 minute ago, potty trained said:

Of course he knows what his best side is, what a fckin ridiculous statement. The reason he might not be able to play it is due to various circumstances, injury, form, opposition.

If he really did know that, the arch-conservative Archie would not have made two substitutes at half-time. (He was right to do so, although not hooking Osman and not putting on McCarthy when some dig is required...)

Oh good God. Just got a chance to look at the 'highlights'. 

Where to start with this team?  The goals we lost last night were just shocking!

From back to front we have a scattering of players who struggle at this level but in the main  do their best. 

However, in each of the goals that we lost either Barton or  Osman,  sometimes both, stand out as a couple of absolute imposters.

Osman  never seems to attack the ball when he defends but instead prefers to try and pull the guy to ground and Barton,

well, words fail me, the guy's efforts were totally ineffectual and just embarrassing.

In a game like last night's I want to see players give 100% commitment and block shots like their lives depended on it, but these

two flowers continually shy away from any such dirty work.  This must have a detrimental effect on the team as a whole as they're seen to get away with it.

If I was Archie, the whole team would be watching these highlights this morning and if I didn't see a massive improvement, from these two in particular against Killie,

then contracts would be getting paid up, P4's issued, and younger hungry players like Penrice and McCarthy would be in  my team. 

The only other option Archie is to resign now.

I was looking ahead last night in my trusty crystal ball at possible fixtures and realistic results from here on in.  For what it's worth I think we'll sneak in to a play off place....

and then lose in a  head to head to Livi.