New Management

javeajag

1 hour ago, Metz said:

Who mentioned a great job You should know he is the manager that got us promoted. You should also know he is the manager that has successfully kept us in the division for 4 years, he also helped us to finish in our highest position for over 50 years . Probably you don't though you are only interested intrying to relegate us and the past four years are of no interest to you. 

You are obviously Archie’s long lost son , better managers than Alan Archibald have lost their job, Mourinho, Ranieri etc.  Football managers are in a volatile industry where results are key and if they don’t get them then they run the risk of losing their job.  At this moment Archie is living off past successes as a player and as you quite rightly pointed out as a manager , but how long can you live off that . Could be it’s all gone stale in the dressing room and a manager can only say the same team talk and tactics time after time till the instructions don’t resonate anymore. Something has got to be done to stop the negativity surrounding the Club 

If you could tell us how you would stop the slide we’re in just now , I’m sure a lot of the posters would be interested  in your plan

1 hour ago, Metz said:

Who mentioned a great job You should know he is the manager that got us promoted. You should also know he is the manager that has successfully kept us in the division for 4 years, he also helped us to finish in our highest position for over 50 years . Probably you don't though you are only interested intrying to relegate us and the past four years are of no interest to you. 

We finished 6th 80/81it is a long time ago but that's not over 50years.

Edited by Auld Jag

8 hours ago, Metz said:

That was then ....bottom of the table is now 

23 hours ago, scotty said:

Asking someone which league position they hope we finish in is one thing but expecting a justification for that is just ridiculous.

Scotty, there is a huge difference between hoping and expecting. My posts were directed at people who expect Thistle to be challenging for a high league position. Still no one has responded to that. 

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Scotty, there is a huge difference between hoping and expecting. My posts were directed at people who expect Thistle to be challenging for a high league position. Still no one has responded to that. 

OK,  but as expecting any given  place is also ridiculous I don't see how any one can  respond with a meaningful justification.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotty said:

OK,  but as expecting any given  place is also ridiculous I don't see how any one can  respond with a meaningful justification.

Exactly my point. We cant expect to finish in any given position, but some on here are saying we should be challenging a high position. That is why I asked for a reason for that claim

• Like 1

Maybe worth noting (maybe not) but on the subject of league position we would've been relegated mid sixties and more to the point so would the team the season after winning the League Cup. The 65/66 team that finished 12th contained club legends like Donnie McKinnon, Tommy Ewing, Davie McParland plus soon to be greats like Arthur Duncan and Jackie Campbell. The stars of  the 72/73 squad that finished in 13th place doesn't require me mentioning them but just for sheer emphasis guys like Roughie, Glavin, Big Denis, Lawrie and Coulston played thru that season.

So here we are today with eleven clubs above us in the league table and there we were back then in a similar/worse position.  I'm sure there's more than a few on here have consistently reminded us that the "league doesn't lie". Well if that's the case then those historical instances mentioned are in some way relevant. At least in bringing our current plight into perspective. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 7:56 AM, Lenziejag said:

Most of those when either Rangers, Hearts or Hibs or all 3 were not in the top league. The season, those 3 are back in, St J don’t make the top 6.

Is anybody going to suggest what high league position Thistle should be challenging for consistently and give a logical reason why ?

Which coincided with us starting our top flight journey

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe worth noting (maybe not) but on the subject of league position we would've been relegated mid sixties and more to the point so would the team the season after winning the League Cup. The 65/66 team that finished 12th contained club legends like Donnie McKinnon, Tommy Ewing, Davie McParland plus soon to be greats like Arthur Duncan and Jackie Campbell. The stars of  the 72/73 squad that finished in 13th place doesn't require me mentioning them but just for sheer emphasis guys like Roughie, Glavin, Big Denis, Lawrie and Coulston played thru that season.

So here we are today with eleven clubs above us in the league table and there we were back then in a similar/worse position.  I'm sure there's more than a few on here have consistently reminded us that the "league doesn't lie". Well if that's the case then those historical instances mentioned are in some way relevant. At least in bringing our current plight into perspective. 

Great names in your post , with all the stuff banded about as our best squad ever ( not by me ) would you say the squad has underachieved ? 

I think there is good players within the squad but I believe Archie hasn’t played to their strengths, Doolan and Erskine being the obvious ones , players that can create and win games for you 

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Great names in your post , with all the stuff banded about as our best squad ever ( not by me ) would you say the squad has underachieved ? 

I think there is good players within the squad but I believe Archie hasn’t played to their strengths, Doolan and Erskine being the obvious ones , players that can create and win games for you 

I think the squad has underachieved this season.We have shown at times just how well we can play. But the stat that we have lost 26 points from a winning position shows that our game management and fitness is not what it should be.

59 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Maybe the passing of John Lambie will be a reminder to Archie that standing tight-lipped isn't the only way to bolster your players' effort. Sometimes calmness and self-control are not the approach that's required.

Or perhaps the passing of John L will be a reminder to Archie to be his own man and do his own thing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Maybe the passing of John Lambie will be a reminder to Archie that standing tight-lipped isn't the only way to bolster your players' effort. Sometimes calmness and self-control are not the approach that's required.

Sorry Fearchar, but the timing of this is crass. 

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

What a sad and inappropriate post at this sad time :no:

55 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Interesting (and concerning) to see the rush to confirm Antony's view (in Julius Caesar):

"The good is oft interrèd with their bones."

Better to draw lessons from successes of the past, surely.

Maybe don’t try to be an absolute smartarse after you’ve made a cheap, tactless point that you’ve been rightly pulled up by several people over. 

• Like 3