New Management

javeajag

1 hour ago, Hankey said:

Archie is unsackable and can do as he likes. The majority of the fanbase have made that abundantly clear. 

I don't think that is the case at all. There are some on here, though, that are giving him no credit for keeping us in the league for 4 seasons, getting us to top 6 and just missing out the previous season. It seems that 1 bad season is tarnishing everything else and that is why there are many on here supporting him. I am unsure whether he should stay or go. If he does go, I hope he has a successful career elsewhere.

16 hours ago, macaroon said:

Fair enough but what industry can afford to ignore it's customer base.   In some countries the workers do elect the management or at least have a strong representation on the mgt board,  Germany for example seems to do reasonably  well economically. 

The workers are not customers and I haven't seen any poll asking fans whether Archie should stay or go. 

16 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Read all the posters , can't really believe supporters are backing Archibald, it was an absolutely dreadful season and are the Club really going to reward the manager for failure who incidentally had probably the biggest budget any PTFC manager has ever had by asking him to stay on.

The support is obviously split as regards Alan Archibald because of the previous years and his playing career, I happen to think as the league got stronger with Sevco , Hearts and Hibs coming back into the league the management team were found wanting in terms of tactics , style of play and player recruitment .

The impact on the Club after relegation is huge , just look at Dundee Utd's accounts after relegation . The Board should have changed the manager in January to at least have given us a chance of staying up and that would have given the new manager the Jan transfer window to add to the squad 

If supporters think we're going back up in a season with all the cuts etc , they are being totally unrealistic, building a new team will take a lot of time hopefully with a mix of experience ( Doolan , Erskine ) and young players who we can give a pathway to first team football and with the right coach make them better players , if we don't try and do it this way we should forget about the Academy as there is really no point and the money the Weirs and the Club are spending should be allocated elsewhere .

After the last 5 years and Archibalds track record with young players coming through Lindsay and McCarthy exempted are we really going to put our trust in him to deliver this ?

The thing is every likely candidate will have failed somewhere in their career. Or someone who has no experience at this level ? Is it better to put our trust in them ? and if so why ? Even Hopkin got Livingston relegated. 

I don't know much about the young players and if any of them are good enough for 1st team football. Lindsay grew into a decent player last season and McCarthy has done ok without being outstanding. Penrice not getting game time was a bit baffling admittedly.

It is speculation that Archibald couldn't identify players. There are other factors like whether those players were offered attractive enough deals or wanted to play for Thistle. It is also speculation that there was any money available in January. Unless you or anyone else has inside knowledge about our situation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Big Col said:

I think the board needs to say something about the managerial position and before the season ticket renewal letters are issued. With the support so split, it would be madness for them not to say anything.

Agree.Particularly after their statement on Sunday

13 hours ago, Paolo said:

I agree,.  A lot of people saying a 5 year plan,.  Any manager should be told what we expect,  promotion in your first season or youre out

And any manager would ask what resources are you giving me. So, Paolo, should the board give him a blank cheque ?

1 hour ago, Jag said:

I tried to explain to my son a few weeks ago that relegation wouldn't be all bad. I had kind of convinced myself too that it wouldn't be the end of the world and if it happened I wouldn't let it bother me too much.

However, this is exactly what I am finding difficult to deal with. We had so many chances to get ourselves out of it and we couldn't do it. Regardless of how poor a season we had, we had chances, right up until the final day and we blew it. It was avoidable as you say and would have been a lot easier than finding our way back.

There were 3 games in particular that sealed our fate.  The two late defeats vs Dundee and at Hamilton and the 4-0 away to County. I think different results in anyone of those would have seen us safe.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

To try and compare PTFC with Ferguson and MUFC is a tad fanciful. 

Why ? Because of what he eventually achieved ? Do you know that St. Mirren sacked him ? Speculation, I know but maybe it would have been St Mirren winning the Cup Winners Cup and the league.

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Why ? Because of what he eventually achieved ? Do you know that St. Mirren sacked him ? Speculation, I know but maybe it would have been St Mirren winning the Cup Winners Cup and the league.

From memory, I think Fergie told one of the St Mirren Directors to F*** Off, that got him his books.

Just now, eljaggo said:

Really puzzling and surprising, but good luck to Alan Archibald MkII.  I hope that some measurable mid season targets have been set.

I think if you read the statement his goals are 

1. Win promotion next season 

2. Play the PTFC way 

Very disappointed, mainly because of total lack of any entertainment and less than a goal a game. Who wants to watch this guff?

But I hope he can find a way to address this. If so there should be some great games next season. And I for one will be 100pc supportive.

16 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think if you read the statement his goals are 

1. Win promotion next season 

2. Play the PTFC way 

I read it is as possibly 1 year in championship then promotion the following season minimum.

Whether you agree with Archie staying or not that's a brilliant statement. Fans know the target that's been set which is a rarity in football these days