New Management

javeajag

Can understand why many are unhappy about this, but I'm delighted that he wants to stay on and get the club back up and that we are willing to give him that chance.

I think over the past 5 years he has achieved enough and done well enough to be shown a bit of loyalty and trust. I see this as no more of a gamble that if we were to get rid of him and appoint someone else with the added bonus that we have a guy in charge who has gotten us promoted in the past.

I personally think that whilst he has made mistakes, he's been let down massively by some of the players and he now has the opportunity to start fresh and go again.

We as football fans can be a fickle bunch at times, we demand loyalty from players and managers whilst demonstrating a willingness to cut loose anyone as soon as they have a bad spell or aren't performing as expected. I think what he has achieved as both a player and a manager means that he deserves a degree of loyalty and trust returned.  I still think this is just a bad spell for Archie and that he will learn from it and come back as a better manager for it and I for one am glad that he will still be our manager.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Delighted the board has kept archie. We need stability at the moment. There is a quick turnaround for the start of the new season and too many changes could damage us. Archie knows which players he wants to kept and get rid off. He has made mistakes but also gave us a brilliant top 6 finish. He should be given next season to turn things around. If it doesn't work next season then he may have to go. But we must give him the chance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Because I think giving him a full season without review is too long, and playing "the Partick Thistle way"can be interpreted in a number of ways and is therefore useless as a performance criteria.

Agreed on both 

I was indicating what the board said 

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

"We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else"   Interesting comment from the chairman...

'Stop punting long balls up to guys like Sammon and start playing the game on the ground the way we did when we last won the Championship'?

• Like 2

Just now, westertonjagfan said:

'Stop punting long balls up to guys like Sammon and start playing the game on the ground the way we did when we last won the Championship'?

In all seriousness, if David Beattie and the board have addressed the style of play with Archibald then fair play to them.

Its not like we were unlucky to go down,we were a disgrace from day one last season and he never learned. I just cant see how in a few weeks he will suddenly.

1. Be able to coach a defence into some resemblence of one.

2. Not be utterly tactically nieve.

3. Recruit better than last seasons faillings.

4. Improve overall fitness in a squad that dies on its arse around 65mins in games.

5. Not stand by players who continually let him down (and refuse point blank in Penrice case to give him a chance)

I could actually list more but there really isnt much point, everyones aware of these.

• Like 1

Yes!!!!!!

Either because of league position, or because the players have exceeded their season's quota of long punts into box or the number of square/backward passes transgresses the Partick Thistle way of playing,   I'm sure the crowd will act as judge on that.

Edited by eljaggo

Style of play is important, possibly as important as league position. Dick Campbell left us in pretty much the same league position that he found us (maybe even higher?), yet possibly goes down in history as our most damaging manager in terms of fan base.

I don't think Alan Archibald is a negative manager. Since our promotion we were regularly credited for our style; but last season was different. Maybe that can be forgiven to an extent when you're struggling, but I'd like to think it wouldn't be tolerated in a lower league.

I'm happy with the decision, though I could see both sides. I think it's a brave decision and the easier and certainly more conventional decision would have been the sack, but I'm glad we do things differently. Delighted at the positive news on the academy and financial situation. I obviously wish him all the very best.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

And any manager would ask what resources are you giving me. So, Paolo, should the board give him a blank cheque ?

The Board have said to Archie we expect promotion in one season or hes offski  That's the way it should be, , 

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

The issue with this on reflection is what happens if say by November it’s clear we are not going straight  back up - which very few teams do - do we sack him then ?

I think it is quite clear that Archibald has been told we must get promoted next season and if that doesn't happen I would think he will be sacked/resign.

The statement today doesn't give Archie much leeway.

The part that said " We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else" implies that he needs have us playing passing football, scoring goals and not continuing the signing policy of jobbing players to do a job for 1 season. I think this is a bit of swipe at some of our team from last year but also at the Ross County and Hamilton's who pay high wages with the sole aim of winning never mind the entertainment value.

So it would appear that Archie has to play attractive football, recruit younger homegrown players who'll stay with the club longer and win the league in one year. I think Hearts under Robbie Neilson did that but apart from them I'm struggling to think of anyone else. First test will be player recruitment and I really hope Archie succeeds

partick thistle  the cuddly team of scottish football

after the season we have had archie should have been sacked

reading jukebox rebels stats on another thread it makes hellish reading

on what basis does the board think archie can turn this round 

however we are where we are now so i  wish him the best for next season 

and yes i will be taking out a season ticket

because thistle isn't the directors, management or players team, this is our team the supporters

and we deserve better than what was dished up as entertainment this season

there i feel a wee bit better now   :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think it is quite clear that Archibald has been told we must get promoted next season and if that doesn't happen I would think he will be sacked/resign.

Agreed but if he fails he’s blown the cash and we gave a team a new manager will want yo change 

the odds are against going up next season 

It may be financially prudent to do it this way. If Archie and Shaggy fail to get us promoted, they can just be released without severance at the end of next season. By not sacking them now, that frees up wages for potentially 2 decent players to come in and try and get us back up.  

4 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

Can understand why many are unhappy about this, but I'm delighted that he wants to stay on and get the club back up and that we are willing to give him that chance.

I think over the past 5 years he has achieved enough and done well enough to be shown a bit of loyalty and trust. I see this as no more of a gamble that if we were to get rid of him and appoint someone else with the added bonus that we have a guy in charge who has gotten us promoted in the past.

I personally think that whilst he has made mistakes, he's been let down massively by some of the players and he now has the opportunity to start fresh and go again.

We as football fans can be a fickle bunch at times, we demand loyalty from players and managers whilst demonstrating a willingness to cut loose anyone as soon as they have a bad spell or aren't performing as expected. I think what he has achieved as both a player and a manager means that he deserves a degree of loyalty and trust returned.  I still think this is just a bad spell for Archie and that he will learn from it and come back as a better manager for it and I for one am glad that he will still be our manager.

Agreed and tho i was leaning towards the get rid mind set i was very impressed with his interview on jagzone. Very honest and forthright. His integrity and respect for the club is without question and i'll get right behind him and the team. 

Some of the creatures quoted for the job were quite concerning. Onwards and upwards.

8 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Agreed and tho i was leaning towards the get rid mind set i was very impressed with his interview on jagzone. Very honest and forthright. His integrity and respect for the club is without question and i'll get right behind him and the team. 

Some of the creatures  quoted for the job were quite concerning. Onwards and upwards.

What an ******** you are. Who are the " creatures " you refer to .