Kilmarnock 7/4/18

Auld Jag

Air of resignation around Firhill today.

First half I thought we were poor. We played better in the second half, actually played some nice stuff but we never really looked like scoring which has been our achilles heel all season.

The defending for the goal was laughable. It was so obvious what was about to happen, well to everyone in the stadium bar our players.

I lost count the amount of times we crossed the ball yet failed to find a Thistle player once.

The one time Booth laid it on a plate for Sammon, he merely stood and admired it rather than attack it.

I know we don't exactly help our strikers with our play but Sammon's lack of movement is shocking, even Boyd worked harder.

Best I think we can hope for is a playoff place.

Osman needs taken out that team, McCarthy was head and shoulders above him.

Really don't know what osman has to do to get dropped. If he's not passing it backwards or pushing folk over for silly free kicks he's passing the ball out of play and blaming other players. His attitude stinks. Pass marks to lawless and McCarthy today but apart from that it was a pretty awful afternoon topped off by a pg version of fight club on garscube road after the game. 

Killie allowed us to play up to the box and then snuffed us out as we are so predictable. 

The Barton  substitution sums it all up. Archie is out of ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kennymac29 said:

Really don't know what osman has to do to get dropped. If he's not passing it backwards or pushing folk over for silly free kicks he's passing the ball out of play and blaming other players. His attitude stinks. Pass marks to lawless and McCarthy today but apart from that it was a pretty awful afternoon topped off by a pg version of fight club on garscube road after the game. 

Killie allowed us to play up to the box and then snuffed us out as we are so predictable. 

Sammon wasn't having a great game but to take him off and bring Doolan on changed nothing.We were 1-0 down Sammon should have been kept on with Doolan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought we played pretty well today.....but missed two great chances, albeit a great save by keeper and one great block. Sammon not that great but l agree we had to be braver and play two up. Strangely its given me a glimmer of hope that if we play like that in our remaining games we might just avoid last place. Nb McCarthy had a storming second half. Im not giving up just yet

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Can't see where any optimism has come from. Another game - no clean sheet, no goals, no points.

Really hoped that we would have gone for it today from the first whistle. But we didn't. Again.

That's surprising, I 've  followed your posts for a while and I had you down as big positive Big Col!! 

2 hours ago, stillresigned said:

Couldn’t bring myself to go to  Firhill today Tuesday pissed me off that much!

No bother don't worry about it thanks for your support anyway. Five games to go but just turn up when you feel its convenient.

My half-time text report to a Thistle Fan in England read - Even Game- Dopey Goal - Osman having a nightmare - we just need a lucky break - don't think we will get it.

I can recall truly awful performances (both 0-4 defeats to Clyde) when it was clearly time for Whyte/Britton & Dick Campbell to go - today's performance was nowhere near that bad - in fact we played not too badly  -  some outstanding defensive blocks from Killie defenders, the ball not falling to a Thistle player in the box,  MacDonald handling outside the area meant we didn't get the draw we deserved . Although Steve Clarke'assessment that we huffed and puffed is accurate he did accept that his side was pushed back in the second half -  I can't remember a single threat to our goal from the  League's form side. 

It doesn't hide the flaws - our passing isn't sharp enough, our crossing was poor and we lack a goal threat. And what has happened to Abdul Osman?  He used to be an effective defensive shield but today he hardly won a header or tackle and his passing was dreadful.  Under no pressure, he let the ball run under his feet, from  the throw in he conceded a needless foul  and our defence fell asleep to lose another soft goal. I have reservations about Barton in midfield but  I  thought he should have replaced Osman far earlier. The Bench was not crammed with game-changers - Sammon was again ineffective and I would also have had Doolan on earlier (preferably at the start).  Andy McCarthy had an excellent game .

The whole Club - Board , Management, Players and Fans - have sleep-walked into a Relegation Paralysis and we desperately need to get a win from somewhere to break the spell. I'm not convinced the other teams in the bottom six are any better than us so I haven't given up on survival yet.  When leaving Firhill today, I heard someone loudly proclaiming that he wanted John Hughes in  - I'll never be that desperate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Decent crowd today and they did get behind the team.

Ok AJ you win a top flight team with only 2,600 home fans trumps a Championship team with no prospect of getting promoted.

Damn that Archie if it wasn't for him we would have a big crowd.

6 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

My half-time text report to a Thistle Fan in England read - Even Game- Dopey Goal - Osman having a nightmare - we just need a lucky break - don't think we will get it.

I can recall truly awful performances (both 0-4 defeats to Clyde) when it was clearly time for Whyte/Britton & Dick Campbell to go - today's performance was nowhere near that bad - in fact we played not too badly  -  some outstanding defensive blocks from Killie defenders, the ball not falling to a Thistle player in the box,  MacDonald handling outside the area meant we didn't get the draw we deserved . Although Steve Clarke'assessment that we huffed and puffed is accurate he did accept that his side was pushed back in the second half -  I can't remember a single threat to our goal from the  League's form side. 

It doesn't hide the flaws - our passing isn't sharp enough, our crossing was poor and we lack a goal threat. And what has happened to Abdul Osman?  He used to be an effective defensive shield but today he hardly won a header or tackle and his passing was dreadful.  Under no pressure, he let the ball run under his feet, from  the throw in he conceded a needless foul  and our defence fell asleep to lose another soft goal. I have reservations about Barton in midfield but  I  thought he should have replaced Osman far earlier. The Bench was not crammed with game-changers - Sammon was again ineffective and I would also have had Doolan on earlier (preferably at the start).  Andy McCarthy had an excellent game .

The whole Club - Board , Management, Players and Fans - have sleep-walked into a Relegation Paralysis and we desperately need to get a win from somewhere to break the spell. I'm not convinced the other teams in the bottom six are any better than us so I haven't given up on survival yet.  When leaving Firhill today, I heard someone loudly proclaiming that he wanted John Hughes in  - I'll never be that desperate.

Fair reflection and comments on the game I watched.

2 hours ago, kennymac29 said:

I'm glad we have a replacement for Osman, in McCarthy.

Osman used to be good, but now plays like a lot of players after a big injury.

He's so nervous going in to a tackle that he watches the man instead of the ball.

Ball winning was just about all he ever had, so it's time for him to quit before he gets a worse injury.

How anyone can defend Archibald because of today's "improved performance" is absolutely baffling. The time for confidence boosting good performances in the absence of winning was 4 months ago, not with 5 bloody games left! Win at all costs is the motto that needs to be followed. Archibald can't deliver that quite clearly. 

• Like 1

I don't often post but after wasting my time going to Ross County and seeing another loss today I feel compelled to.

In my opinion the key to poor results is the constantly changing team selections and formations. Best performance I have seen from Thistle this season was away to St Johnstone in January. We had a balanced attacking team that day in a 4-2-3-1 with game changing options from the bench. However that starting eleven has not been seen together despite all of them being fit.

Today was a reversion to 4-2-3-1 and you can see it suits us better than the 3-5-2 at Dingwall. McCarthy ,Booth, Lawless all did well today. Erskine started to show some flashes of what he is capable of so. However Blair Spittal should not have started. He is not premier league quality. Even his dead ball delivery from corner kicks today was poor.

I know Christie Elliot is a honest trier but I can't understand why we have 2 out and out right backs on the bench and he gets into the team in front of them. Personally I would have Dumbaya in the team everyday of the week. Whilst Elliot has pace Dumbaya has the ability to cut inside and take on a man . There were too many times today were Elliot got into a good position but didn't want to take his man in or get a cross in resulting in a passback to Osman who in turn passed it back to the Keown.  Every time the ball went to Booth we looked like we were going to move forward and that to me was the difference between a recognised attacking full back and a player trying to do his best in a position he is not completely comfortable with

So in my opinion not all was lost today. We can't afford to have mass changes to the team again and we need to build on some of the passing and interplay that was visible in the second half

• Like 1