Kilmarnock 7/4/18

Auld Jag

32 minutes ago, laukat said:

The next five games are winnable if we can play in a similar style to the second half yesterday and if we end up with 3 home fixtures against Dundee, Hamilton and County that might just be the deciding factor.

Dundee likely away, played them twice at home already.  Just have to hope we get both of the others at home

On the Sammon v Doolan debate.

I think Archie may be influenced by having Sammon's height to defend corners. It was certainly apparent at county that Archie had picked his tallest team to combat Soutar and Draper so he put in Elliot at left back and Woods in midfield but in effect played straight into county's hands by taking away any passing game and trying to get the ball over the top of teh county centrebacks.

With the loss of Lindsay we lost the height from our defence. If you look at Dundee (Caulker, O'Dea, Meekings, Mousa) and County they have both went for a large aerial threat. Killie yesterday had Erwin, Clubfoot and Findlay. Whilst Keown and Cargill are good in the air they are not tall enough against some teams hence Doolan is sacrificed to play Sammon. I think its also part of the reason why one of Osman or Barton has to start in Archie's mind.

However I think Archie needs to revisit that quandry and go for more mobility up front in the hope that we have more possession and limit corners into the penalty box. I think he also needs to recognise that our attacking strength over the last few years is the passing game and to carry a goal threat means playing attack minded players who have weaknesses in defending (i.e. lawless, doolan, storey, Erskine, McCarthy)

52 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Doolan has 8 goals in all competitions, Sammon 6 , but if we haven’t scored for that length of time , wouldn’t you change it. Big issue for me in how the team plays , playing through the midfield rather than lumping the ball forward to the stereotypical centre forward  whose movement isn’t great .

Doolans goals are part of the reason why we’ve stayed in the league the past  4 years .

BBC have Sammon on 6 and Doolan on 4. Sammon also has a better goals/minutes stat. No deniing that Doolans goals secured our place in the league last 4 seasons

3 hours ago, potty trained said:

A really hard one to take. 

I thought at times we were a joy to watch. Playing beautiful one touch football and moving the ball about at pace. At one down it still felt we could get two such as the manner in our play. Come the last five I was just wishing so hard for a deserved equaliser.

Scully is not a top level goalie. Not yet anyway. His short play is terrible, moves the ball slowly and never puts a pass in front of the man.

If the rest of the team had half the desire and fight shown by Elliott, we wouldn't be in this mess. He fought for everything and was a huge threat going forward. 

Keown pinged some lovely balls out to booth but looks fragile defensively. No where near the no nonsense ball winner of last season.

I don't think Cargill, whilst similar, is a patch on Turnbull. Did his best, but some rush of blood moments in the second half.

Booth linked up brilliantly with Lawless, but all too often his final ball is shite.

Folk complain Barton looks lazy. Osman is the epitome. So slow and half hearted. A yard off the pace. Looked from the NS he was having a go amat Elliott after he himself had put a wayward pass out of play, summed him up.

Pretty much how I see things PT  without going as far to say we were a joy at times. There was certainly a vast improvement though, especially in the 2nd half, and I felt we deserved to take something from the game.

Scully has fans biting their finger nails. If we feel like that surely the defence does too. His kicking is dreadful and he doesn't command his box.  

I expected a bit more of Cargill and, given the choice, I would have Turnbull in my team.

I was surprised at Keown's aerial ability last season, given he's not that tall, but he has been nowhere near as dominant this term.

Woods seems to be pretty low in fans estimation but I like him and I think we are a better team with him in it. Hopefully he will be fit soon and able to replace Osman.

Two reasons I would have started with Doolan yesterday. One - We haven't been scoring goals recently and  he deserves a chance. Two - Given the fact we went with our 'more creative' players yesterday, I felt Doolan would have been the better option. He makes more clever runs and offers better options in behind than Sammon does. Sammon has his good points but I felt we needed a little more intelligence up top with Lawless, Erskine and Spittal in the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jag said:

Pretty much how I see things PT  without going as far to say we were a joy at times. There was certainly a vast improvement though, especially in the 2nd half, and I felt we deserved to take something from the game.

Scully has fans biting their finger nails. If we feel like that surely the defence does too. His kicking is dreadful and he doesn't command his box.  

I expected a bit more of Cargill and, given the choice, I would have Turnbull in my team.

I was surprised at Keown's aerial ability last season, given he's not that tall, but he has been nowhere near as dominant this term.

Woods seems to be pretty low in fans estimation but I like him and I think we are a better team with him in it. Hopefully he will be fit soon and able to replace Osman.

Two reasons I would have started with Doolan yesterday. One - We haven't been scoring goals recently and  he deserves a chance. Two - Given the fact we went with our 'more creative' players yesterday, I felt Doolan would have been the better option. He makes more clever runs and offers better options in behind than Sammon does. Sammon has his good points but I felt we needed a little more intelligence up top with Lawless, Erskine and Spittal in the team. 

I can see both sides of the Doolan Sammon coin. There's a really strong case for Doolan starting. 

3 hours ago, potty trained said:

I can see both sides of the Doolan Sammon coin. There's a really strong case for Doolan starting. 

Both should have been on yesterday.Instead of taking Sammon off for Doolan,we could have taken Spittal of.I know Sammon wasn't having his best game but we were 1-0 down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Both should have been on yesterday.Instead of taking Sammon off for Doolan,we could have taken Spittal of.I know Sammon wasn't having his best game but we were 1-0 down.

To me (listening on the radio and having witnessed umpteen similar scenarios) that looked the logical solution: unfortunately, it wasn’t so obvious to our manager?

35 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Exactly what I said at the time. 

I don't think it was asked in the Jagzone analysis but it would be interesting to know why he chose to stick with 1 up top.

As it transpired I don't think Doolan was much of an improvement but that will come with match sharpness. Hopefully he'll start next time out. 

1 hour ago, stillresigned said:

To me (listening on the radio and having witnessed umpteen similar scenarios) that looked the logical solution: unfortunately, it wasn’t so obvious to our manager?

The problem being that you are taking off a supposedly creative player for a striker.  Of course people will say Spittal was creating nothing anyway. Doolan came on at a time when we had our best spell of the game

22 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

In short:

Better performance.

We can’t do one touch passing. We can’t attack through the middle in numbers. We can’t turn a defence. We can’t do anything fast!

McCarthy - MoM by a country mile. Why has he not been played more

Spittal – waste of a shirt

Sammon – flying in the face of most folk on this forum but I hope he goes back to Hearts

Osman – What has happened to the player from 2 years ago. Needs dropped.

Cargill – does he deserve massive credit for walking round the pitch applauding the thistle fans at the end or does it just mean his agent has found him another club!!

Fans – Flat……I think we can still save things but there is a resignation that we are down. Who can blame them.

Manager – give him to the end of the season. However, there is a sameness about how we set up and play and our attacks are so laboured. We need points and he needs to figure how to mix things up and get forward and trouble opposing defences. The man’s a legend but If we get relegated he should go …seemples!

I would add:

Erskine - His natural game is built around pace, spontaneity and urgency. Possibly why he hasn't shone in this team recently. There was certainly more urgency in the team yesterday and Chris showed his class again. Some exquisite touches and the ball through to Sammon...

On 4/7/2018 at 8:55 PM, Winter of '63 said:

When leaving Firhill today, I heard someone loudly proclaiming that he wanted John Hughes in  - I'll never be that desperate.

Yep, I heard him too! Crazy or what? I hurried past! ( he prob mentioned macnamara too!!- didn't hang around to listen!)

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Doolan has 8 goals in all competitions, Sammon 6 , but if we haven’t scored for that length of time , wouldn’t you change it. Big issue for me in how the team plays , playing through the midfield rather than lumping the ball forward to the stereotypical centre forward  whose movement isn’t great .

Doolans goals are part of the reason why we’ve stayed in the league the past  4 years .

We played great football for the whole time Sammon was on the pitch, yesterday.

Let's hope they are again this season.